Page 14 of 195 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464114 ... LastLast

Thread: Don in the Press/Blogs/etc.

Welcome to the Border, GL! It's good to have you here, and we will all look forward to your review.

DF, That was a wonderful email interview with Don, and thanks for finding it. He must have spent a good while thinking about his replies, and this bit is inspirational.

"I look to my children, I look inside myself, I look at the world and, when I can find an unpolluted sky, I look up at the heavens. As battered and corrupt as it is, planet Earth is still a miraculous, awe-inspiring place, floating in an unfathomable universe."
    Maleah, at least here we have a chance to share our love of the Eagles and on occasions voice our politics without fear of being denigrated.

www.donfelderonline.com
    ~~~~~
    This way to happiness...

Jon Bon Jovi must be a DH fan. He said this in an interview about writing songs:

"Miss Fourth of July is a great song. That one and a song called Only In My Dreams that Tico [Torres] sang, very influenced [when I was] in my Tom Waits era. Tom was such an influence on me in those great ballads that he writes and the great picture lyrics. And I wrote songs like Bed of Roses because of Tom, but while I was knocking out songs like this, these didn't make it. But Miss Fourth of July is really a pretty neat song, something that perhaps I'd love to hear Don Henley sing, it really talks about the loss of innocence and youth and how at that point in my career, I was really dis-enfranchised by what the business of music had become."

Whaaa fabulous! Thanks DF!
    Let somebody love you, before it's too late..

Default Re: Don in the press

What a compliment to Don. I knew JBJ had good taste.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

As I watched Hillary Clinton at the Democratic Convention last night, I thought about Don and the fact that he became close to the Clintons through his involvement with Walden Woods. I was wondering what he was thinking about the convention, and today I read this on www.cjfw.fm:
    DON HENLEY CITES ELECTION OF GEORGE W. BUSH AS BABY BOOMERS' BIGGEST BLUNDER

By: Howie Edelson
    Don Henley says that for the most part, the baby boomer generation failed to put its idealism into constructive practice, and cites electing President George W. Bush among its greatest blunders. When asked by The New Brunswick Business Journal to list his generation's greatest achievements and greatest blunders, Henley answered, "Being a boomer myself, I can say with some insight that my generation, as a whole, didn't follow through on achieving or living some of the ideals it espoused in the 1960's. We ended up becoming the first 'Me Generation.'At some point, we abandoned 'Us'in favor of 'Me.'(It's) gotten even worse with subsequent generations. It's totally out of control now, which, in my opinion, indicates a continuing cycle of bad parenting -- bad and getting worse."
    He went on to throw partial blame for the blunders of both his and his children's generation on the current administration: "We have allowed our so-called leaders to place politics above science, especially in terms of the environment... Speaking strictly as a citizen of the U.S., I think our biggest mistake was electing George W. Bush as President. I'm not sure that colossal blunder can be laid solely at the feet of the Baby Boom Generation, but we certainly played a large part in it."

Although Henley has been politically outspoken against the Bush administration, he says that the Eagles try to keep their comments non-partisan on the stage: "We have found over the years that a concert is not necessarily the forum for one's political opinions. We do most of that work now separate and apart from our concert tours." The Eagles kick off their next series of dates on September 6th in Tulsa, Oklahoma at the BOK Center. The band will be on the road through the end of the month.

Intressting read..thanks DF!
    Let somebody love you, before it's too late..

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DonFan View Post
    As I watched Hillary Clinton at the Democratic Convention last night, I thought about Don and the fact that he became close to the Clintons through his involvement with Walden Woods. I was wondering what he was thinking about the convention, and today I read this on www.cjfw.fm:
    DON HENLEY CITES ELECTION OF GEORGE W. BUSH AS BABY BOOMERS' BIGGEST BLUNDER
    "Blunder" is a overly polite way of describing the mess we are in right now.

The Eagles kick off their next series of dates on September 6th in Tulsa, Oklahoma at the BOK Center. The band will be on the road through the end of the month.
    Really? It must of slipped my mind. Yeah, right-AS IF???
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Although Henley has been politically outspoken against the Bush administration, he says that the Eagles try to keep their comments non-partisan on the stage: "We have found over the years that a concert is not necessarily the forum for one's political opinions. We do most of that work now separate and apart from our concert tours."

I'm so glad they have chosen to do that. I don't care who they're voting for, I just want to see them perform.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Prettymaid View Post
    I'm so glad they have chosen to do that. I don't care who they're voting for, I just want to see them perform.
    I agree, PM. I love to hear their thoughts and opinions during an interview. I love to hear them talk between songs at a concert too, but I have been to too many concerts where the slightest political remark has set off a firestorm of controversy, and irate fans can really disrupt concerts.

Quote Originally Posted by Prettymaid View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DonFan
    Although Henley has been politically outspoken against the Bush administration, he says that the Eagles try to keep their comments non-partisan on the stage: "We have found over the years that a concert is not necessarily the forum for one's political opinions. We do most of that work now separate and apart from our concert tours."
    I agree. I hate it when musicians stop a concert in order to preach to the masses about politics - especially when they become angry if the crowd doesn't agree with them. They hope for everyone to cheer and "rally 'round the rocker's political viewpoints" - a lovely feel-good moment. If they don't get it, it's "screw you, ignorant jerks. I'm disgusted that you people aren't as enlightened as I am."

They can sing political songs and communicate their viewpoints that way. I certainly understand why someone would want to write about things happening in the world today. Protest songs, or songs intelligently interrogating the way things are, can really have an effect on people. Even when one doesn't agree with the political slant, one can respect the effort to "make the world a better place," so to speak, and change things through music.

However, onstage, leave the partisan talking points and political evangelism to the politicians at their rallies. I don't need to be told what to think. I mean, has anyone ever really changed their mind about a political issue thanks to declarations by musicians against or for certain politicians during a concert?

I hope not. I hope people think for themselves.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten