Page 17 of 195 FirstFirst ... 71314151617181920212767117 ... LastLast

Thread: Don in the Press/Blogs/etc.

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Default Re: Don in the press

DF-thanks for posting. This is my neck of the woods and that radio station is great especially on weekends when they do all 80's but I cannot stand those 3 DJs--especially that early in the morning and their "playful camaraderie" is irritating as h*ll with mostly giggling!

Glad to hear the nice things about Don tho-sounds like she got him on a really good day!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Here's some advance press for my Memphis show:

Concert Preview: The Eagles are still flying high for Don Henley

By Bob Mehr, GoMemphis.com

An excerpt:

Q: Given the success you’ve enjoyed both with the band and as a solo artist are there any creative or professional goals you still have a burning ambition to achieve?
    A: Burning ambition? Them’s pretty strong words, Hoss. No, I guess you could say that burning ambition is what we had in the ‘70s. These days, that has matured into something a little less dangerous. We simply don’t have as much to prove, now, or as much to lose, so we don’t have to labor under that yoke.
    We can go about our business without worrying so much about where we are on the proverbial ladder. It makes the work so much more enjoyable, you know? Of course, it would be gratifying to make another successful album or to win a few more Grammys or CMA awards, but nothing lasts forever.
    We’ve had an extraordinary run. We like where we are right now and we intend to continue for a bit longer, but if it should all end tomorrow, that’s fine too.
    Them's pretty strong words, Don--and I love them.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I liked that!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

One thing about Don - he is very articulate.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Stuck on the Border

The 'how about neither' in relation to 'it's better to burn out than it is to rust' is an excellent point and only Don could make it. While the song from which that quote is taken (Hey Hey My My (Into The Black) is one of my favourite Neil Young songs I was always somewhat uneasy about it. Finally Don puts it into perspective. You don't HAVE to burn out, you don't HAVE to rust.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Finally Don puts it into perspective. You don't HAVE to burn out, you don't HAVE to rust.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Default Philadelphia

Lots of Eagles coverage in the Philadelphia press lately.
    First, they allowed readers to submit questions to Don. (I hope the Birmingham paper gives us this opportunity as well!)

Don Henley answers readers' questions
    Thu, Nov. 20, 2008

Philly.com readers sent in questions for Don Henley. Here are his answers.

What's the latest with Walden Woods?

The Walden Woods Project has accomplished a great deal during the past 18 years, including the permanent protection of over 150 acres (10 separate sites) in historic Walden Woods. Recently, we acquired a historic farm that was faced with the threat of development. Under the stewardship of the Walden Woods Project, the farm has been returned to agriculture.

There has never been a more critical time for the environment and Henry David Thoreau’s message has never been more relevant. The Walden Woods Project’s education programs apply Thoreau’s fundamental principles to addressing the worldwide conservation and social reform challenges of the 21st century. A primary goal of our organization is to help equip the next generation with the knowledge, skills and commitment they will need meet these challenges. Our new World Wide Waldens program operates on an international scale and reaches high school students throughout the United States and around the globe with an innovative web-based environmental stewardship program. For more information, go to www.worldwidewaldens.org

The Walden Woods Project also offers seminars for middle and high school teachers from across the United States. Educators are provided with the tools they need to develop their own place-based curriculum in the study of nature and home place. Participating teachers will reach thousands of students during the course of their professional careers with curricula based on Thoreau’s philosophy including social awareness, environmental literacy and a strong sense of community.

The Walden Woods Project supports research and academic pursuits by students, scholars and lifelong learners from around the world. Housed at the Walden Woods Project’s Thoreau Institute, and overseen by a full-time curator, is the most comprehensive Thoreau research collection in the world. This invaluable resource is available to the public on site and on-line.

Please log on to the Walden Woods Project’s website for more information: www.walden.org

What was it like to reunite with Joe Walsh and the rest of the band for the latest album tour?

Well, we actually “reunited” in 1994 and we’ve been touring regularly ever since. We all enjoy playing for people and Joe keeps us laughing. He’s a great performer one of the most talented guitarists on the planet.

I saw you in Philly in the 70s, what's your opinion of playing here?

We love playing in Philly. The audiences there are very vocal; they really get into it and they show their appreciation. It a great party every time we play there. We look forward to it - and of course the cheesesteaks.

The new album seems to have some songs songs with a political edge. Did that come from you or the band?

That’s usually my department, although Glenn has a keen interest in politics, as well. You can’t really escape politics. It permeates all our lives; it’s really a part of everything that we do. Politics doesn’t just exist in our state capitals or in Washington, DC. It’s there in home kitchens and living rooms, in cafes and school rooms, in workplaces all over this country. Now, it’s even in the churches, for better or for worse. So, we think that a well-rounded album should have at least one or two politically influenced pieces. It’s about the human condition, just as love songs are.

What has been the hardest part of staying a working band for more than 30 years?

There are quite a few challenges involved - getting along with one another, remaining enthusiastic and creative, staying sane and healthy - but I think we would all agree that the hardest part, these days, is being away from our homes and our families about 50% of the time. That is difficult. You can’t get that time back. But life is all about trade-offs. We know how fortunate we are and what an incredible run we’ve had, and we are willing, for now, to keep on going, but for how long is anybody’s guess. All good things must come to an end, and we’ll know when the time comes. But, for now, things are awfully good.

Philly,com has posted a number of reviews and articles about the Eagles in advance of their upcoming show. I thought this article about Don back in 2000 was particularly good:

Posted on Thu, Nov. 20, 2008

Don Henley isn't your typical rock star
    by Alan K. Stout
    Knight Ridder Newspapers
    Originally published on August 29, 2000

He's articulate and well-spoken, and he combines grace with a sense of confidence. He talks passionately about literature, poetry and language. He speaks with affection about his upbringing, his parents and his own wife and children. He has great command of the subjects that interest him, and he talks with genuine concern about the state of the nation, nature and environmental issues.

And, of course - when asked - he'll talk about his music.

The Grammy-winning former Eagle's latest CD, "Inside Job," was released earlier this summer. It comes 11 years after his previous effort, 1989's "The End of the Innocence," and has already spawned the hit single "Taking You Home. " The song appears to have multiple themes: the love for his wife and children, and perhaps even his decision to raise them in his native
    Texas, rather than California.

"It was inspired by my family - by my children and by my wife and the birth of my first daughter," says
    Henley, 53. "I'm always squeamish about releasing a ballad like that first, because it sort of typecasts me. For 25 years now, I've had to fight this label of 'mellow and laid-back' and all that kind of stuff, and it's been a struggle. But I decided this time 'What the hell? It's a good song. Let them go with it. ' "

For
    Henley, the joys of having a family of his own did not come until later in life. He married in 1995 for the first time, and although he was in his late 40s, he says he's glad he waited.

"I was engaged a couple of times, but I never went through with it," he says. "I think I would have been a failure if I had done it earlier, and I've always believed that the lives of children are too important to be part of an immature experiment. "

So, is
    Henley a man at peace? "Partially," he says. "At least with my personal life. My inner life is good, but the world out there really [sets] me off. "

Enter Henley the environmentalist. In 1990, he founded the Walden Woods Project, dedicated to preserving historic lands around
    Walden Pond in Concord, Mass. The location - where Henry David Thoreau and other writers often drew inspiration - remains dear to Henley, as does the preservation project.

"I founded it, it's mine - and I can't let it wither," he says. "It remains very important to me and I work on it to some degree every week, raising money. We still need to raise $15 to $20 million. "

According to the Walden Woods Web site, about 70 percent of the Walden Woods area has been preserved, but there is still about 30 percent that can be commercially developed.
    Henley remains committed to not letting that happen.

"We still have work to do," he says. "I'm sure I'll be working on that for the rest of my life, and I want my children to become part of it when they're older. I think it's a remarkable project, and I have some really wonderful people working on it with me. It addresses things that we're losing in our culture: a sense of spirituality, a sense of respect and awe for the natural environment and for history. "

In addition to the Walden Woods Project,
    Henley also has worked diligently at preserving open space and wildlife habitats in California's Santa MonicaMountains and has formed a wetlands science/education institute in Texas. Add that to the fact that he lost his California home in an earthquake, started a family, relocated to Texas, worked on 1993's "Common Thread: The Songs of the Eagles" all-star country tribute album and then participated in the 1994 Eagles reunion, and you might have your answer as to why it has been 11 years since his last album.

Still, there is a perception that
    Henley is a musical perfectionist, known to agonize over words and arrangements in his songwriting. He's asked if his own high standards contribute to his slow pace in the studio.

"Well, first of all, let me say that I don't think there is any such thing as perfection in the world of art," he says.

Henley then offers yet another factor that contributed to the time between records. Prefacing the talk with the condition he couldn't go into great detail because of legal reasons, he says his departure from his longtime label, Geffen Records, was not cordial. ("Inside Job" is his debut with Warner Bros. Records. )

"It was ugly,"
    Henley said of the split. "I simply didn't want to make records for David Geffen anymore. I have absolutely no respect for the man. He's been in and out of my professional life since 1971. . .After the Eagles broke up, he came to me and said, 'You need to come and sign a record contract with me because you know I'll take care of you, blah, blah, blah'. . .and I fell for it, again, because I was feeling rather insecure and at loose ends at the time. So I signed with him, and it turned out to be the same guy I that remembered he was - who was not somebody I want to work with.

"I was busting my [rear] to make really good albums, and they weren't promoting them in a manner that was commensurate with my efforts. He really didn't care about the music business at that point anyway, he was more interested in making films, collecting art and doing whatever he does. . .I just didn't feel like putting my heart and soul into any more records for a company that just didn't really care."

Another Q&A, this time from the Worcester Telegram & Gazette.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Don Henley
    “Well, this is somewhat controversial, but I think the Earth needs fewer people. It is a known fact that the planet does not contain enough natural resources to support unlimited population growth, especially with a high standard of living, which is what everybody wants. There are limits and, like it or not, we will have to address those limits, probably sooner than we think.”
    And how does he suggest we "address" that? Limit folks to one baby per family? He apparently didn't take that into consideration when fathering his own kids!

Anyway, I didn't know that he has a loss of hearing in his left ear. Poor guy!

I'm also impressed that he drinks so little alcohol these days. Just wine on the holidays, apparently. He's sure come a long way!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten