Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: Don in the Press/Blogs/etc.

Thanks for the link, ltef.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Yes, thanks!

I always preferred "Desperado," but I can see what he's saying in terms of how savvy they were at production and songwriting at that point. They really were firing on all cylinders.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

I definitely agree with Don (one of those rare instances, lol).

I feel Hotel California was their masterpiece. They dipped their toes into the water of concept albums with Desperado, but HC was their piece de resistance. The songs, the new-found guitar sound and playing of the new guy Joe Walsh with Don Felder, moving away from country/country-rock to more of a palatable classic rock commercial sound much to the chagrin of some people, etc. They had all the plates spinning.

I feel like it was almost a curse for them though, they had basically made an album that couldn't really be topped. I think Don clocks it well with whole "we made it, and it ate us" thing. How can you even begin a new record? I think that right there was part of the stress that started the descent of the Eagles plane in the "Long Run" period. I love that album, but I won't lie and say I'm not in the minority. They were miserable with themselves, Glenn and Don were fractured, and the writing and recording process from all accounts was insanely painful. I think that Hotel California, in that regard, became an omen for the band.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

I agree, what a task to top HC. The Long Run is a great album. I don’t care what people say. Expectations were so high and critics had way too much power. Any other band released an album with that many “singles” it would’ve been praised and what not, but because it was Eagles, somehow it was mediocre? Similar situation with (Fleetwood Mac and Tusk.)To be honest, the only songs I don’t like is Disco Strangler and Greeks, and it’s more lyrically than musically. I can go on and on, but too much pressure and other things did them in. It’s a shame they just couldn’t take a little longer break, they were burnt out and then continue.

I’m sure the lucky ones that saw them back in the day treasure it. I so desperately wish I can be transported back in time and be at one of those shows.....I was just a baby.

Stuck on the Border

I agree Austin and KF - There was no way they could top HC. What they should have done is just acknowledge that and moved on to the next album. All that stress and arguing were not worth it. Which, they all realized much later. They needed a break from the constant touring but felt they could not afford any kind of long break. I read in a old interview they toured for 8 month after the release of OTB, 9 months for OOTN and 11 months for HC. That is a brutal schedule for any band. Of course the coke and partying did not help any.
    I think their constant exhaustion went hand-in-hand with their huge use of Cocaine. And, JMHO, but I don't think any kind of rest would have kept the band from breaking up. Too many issues - especially between Don H. and Glenn.
    The LR is not may favorite album. Too many subpar songs that would never have made that album if they were not so burned out and exhausted.

Agreed about The Long Run. There are some standout tracks but overall, you can see the seams are coming apart. Yeah, a breakup was probably inevitable at the point, considering where their heads were at. Maybe some counseling would have helped!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

I think what songs should have been left off of The Long Run would make for interesting debate.

Personally, I think taking Those Shoes off would be sacrilege. If VOL is underrated, then Those Shoes is criminally underrated.

Those Shoes has become one of my favorite Eagles songs and was my favorite that I heard on the HOTE tour. Hearing that song open with the talkboxes was the highlight of the night.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Omg Those Shoes is so smokin there is no way to take that off! 👡🔥

I shudder at the thought!

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I actually think The Long Run is an excellent album, but, as everyone has said, it couldn't top Hotel California. The only song I'm not that fond of is The Disco Strangler. Although, I admit Teenage Jail and GDWNF aren't their best work, I still like them. I love the humor in Greeks and I get what they were going for with Teenage Jail and find it appealing. The remaining songs are all very good to excellent, IMO. So, even if you fail 3 songs, they're still at 70% - not too bad AFAIC.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    I actually think The Long Run is an excellent album, but, as everyone has said, it couldn't top Hotel California. The only song I'm not that fond of is The Disco Strangler. Although, I admit Teenage Jail and GDWNF aren't their best work, I still like them. I love the humor in Greeks and I get what they were going for with Teenage Jail and find it appealing. The remaining songs are all very good to excellent, IMO. So, even if you fail 3 songs, they're still at 70% - not too bad AFAIC.

👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻 Well said. Even with Disco Strangler being the weakest on the album I rather enjoy the music funky as hell....just the singing pattern gets to me. I like Teenage Jail too! And Greeks rocks just not crazy about lyrics. All us Long Run fans can come out of hiding. 👍🏻🤘🏻😂