Page 4 of 195 FirstFirst 123456781454104 ... LastLast

Thread: Don in the Press/Blogs/etc.

That's rather cool that Bob Seger cites Don as someone to call upon when the muse is lacking. It's nice to know that these guys give each other credit. Thanks, df!

www.donfelderonline.com
    ~~~~~
    This way to happiness...

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

That is a great compliment from Seger. But, I'm with you all, Don and the guys are rather busy at the moment. Besides speedy songwriting is not exactly their forte.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer
    That is a great compliment from Seger. But, I'm with you all, Don and the guys are rather busy at the moment. Besides speedy songwriting is not exactly their forte.
    Yup.
    How can love survive in such a graceless age?

For those interested, it looks like Don will be performing at an event by the Shoah Foundation

http://home.businesswire.com/portal/...98&newsLang=en

Thanks for posting the news. Anybody going?

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Looks like we will be treated to several tell-all books dealing with the recording industry in the next few months. Everyone has read news blurbs about Don Felder's upcoming book, and now we have Warren Zevon's memoir.

Don and Warren Zevon were friends for years, and Don sang on Warren's tribute album, "Enjoy Every Sandwich." Warren ex-wife, Crystal, has just published his memoir written mostly from his diaries, and this showed up in a review of the book, called "I’ll Sleep When I’m Dead":

--------------------------------------------------
    The lack of show-business artifice is precisely what makes the Zevon story so telling. What was even more unusual than his dark thoughts — like resenting the fact that Jackson Browne and Neil Young had lost people close to them and written beautiful, much-admired songs about those deaths — was his willingness to admit to those thoughts. On his deathbed, discussing the merits of having a funeral, he said, “I just don’t want to have to spend my last days wondering whether Henley” — Don Henley of the Eagles, who did not attend — “will show up.”

---------------------------------------------------

Ouch.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Thanks for that article DF. But, you hit the nail on the head here - OUCH is right.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Dang, that's harsh.

I read a similar article discussing Zevon's biography. I have some of his albums and admired how sharp he was, but it seems the life he led wasn't very fulfilling, at least in terms of personal relationships. I guess it's true what they say- sometimes the guy who jokes the most is the one who's hiding the most pain. That DVD he made before his death made me cry, as did the song "Keep Me in Your Heart for a While."

As far as the Felder book goes, I think I'll reserve judgment until I read it. I wonder if part of the settlement wasn't something to the effect of "You can write your book, but you have to leave out [dirty secrets x, y, and z]."

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Much as I admired Zevon as a singer-songwriter, as a person it sounds like he was similar to Van Morrison, i.e. extremely difficult to deal with.

It sounds as if he must have had quite a tortured soul. I hadn't realised. As for the Felder book, I think it will be 'interesting' - I just hope that he doesn't let bitterness get in the way of the truth.

www.donfelderonline.com
    ~~~~~
    This way to happiness...