Page 44 of 195 FirstFirst ... 344041424344454647485494144 ... LastLast

Thread: Don in the Press/Blogs/etc.

Default Re: Don in the press

Which is why I'm so passionate about this subject!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

He sings it high, he plays it low

Out on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    First of all , welcome to The Border, eaglesfan. Hope you like it here, but with all due respect, some of us don't think 62 is old. And none of us have a crystal ball to be able to predict Don Henley's future behavior. You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but making such broad, sweeping generalizations that aren't supported by fact is likely to invite challenges from some of our members here.
    My sincere apologies...I didn't mean to insult anybody, but I can see how my wording might have done just that.

"Old" is always a relative term. At 39, I'm an "old man" to many! I think Henley is 'old' insofar as things like Youtube are concerned...and I'm an old man insofar as my musical tastes; if you were to poll kids in high school or college today.

That all said, 62 is hardly washed up in every day life. In rock and roll and often times in terms of embracing technology, let's face it, it sorta is.

That doesn't mean the Eagles don't still put on a great show and it doesn't mean there isn't some good solo stuff to come.

and for those of you in here near Henley's age, I will tell you there was a time I thought 30 was old. I no longer do. Then, I thought 40 was old. I no longer do. Heck, I don't even think 60 is really old anymore.

And my 93 year old grandmother thinks people who are 60 don't respect their elders the way they should.

Seriously, my apologies...not a good way to introduce myself here and it was thoughtlessly phrased.

Out on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by whitcap View Post
    Firstly, welcome to the board. Secondly, I don't believe that's neccesarily true. Don's dislike of youtube has nothing to do with his age. If technology in 1984 had been what is today and youtube had been around he would have probably said the same thing. For example Stevie Nicks doesn't have a computer, but her dislike of computers goes as far back as the mid-eighties when she was dating Joe(I can't remember where I read this but it was in a Stevie interview). Also, while I'm a younger fan, some of the fans here are closer to Don's age and probably wouldn't appriciate that old man remark. (on a side note: Bette Midler, who is older than Don, has said that she loves youtube)
    Well, if youtube had been around in the early or mid 1980's, and if Henley didn't embrace it and other Internet technologies, he would have not had the career he had. His audience is older (again, no offense, I'm part of that audience), and still is inclined to go to the store and plunk down $12 or whatever for a CD.

I actually thought it was natural that the Eagles did something through a place like Walmart. The record stores are increasingly no more, but their audience is much more inclined to go buy a physical cd than they are to download. So they have to go somewhere!

Quote Originally Posted by eaglesfan View Post
    Well, if youtube had been around in the early or mid 1980's, and if Henley didn't embrace it and other Internet technologies, he would have not had the career he had.
    When I said technology I was actually talking about hand-held filming technology(camera phones, digital cameras, etc.). I just meant that he wouldn't want people in the audience filming his shows back then and putting them on youtube.

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

And my 93 year old grandmother thinks people who are 60 don't respect their elders the way they should.
    This just cracked me up!! And welcome from me also ef! Hope you enjoy it here.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Welcome EFan. Age is definitely a relative thing. I tend to agree with your theory that it is partially why Don despises Youtube. Look at what happened when Soda introduced the Eagles Twitter pages and Myspace and Facebook pages - those of us who are , let us say, more mature fans almost all posted that we were not interested in getting our own accounts. Some did, most did not.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

My sincere apologies...I didn't mean to insult anybody, but I can see how my wording might have done just that.

"Old" is always a relative term. At 39, I'm an "old man" to many! I think Henley is 'old' insofar as things like Youtube are concerned...and I'm an old man insofar as my musical tastes; if you were to poll kids in high school or college today.

That all said, 62 is hardly washed up in every day life. In rock and roll and often times in terms of embracing technology, let's face it, it sorta is.

That doesn't mean the Eagles don't still put on a great show and it doesn't mean there isn't some good solo stuff to come.

and for those of you in here near Henley's age, I will tell you there was a time I thought 30 was old. I no longer do. Then, I thought 40 was old. I no longer do. Heck, I don't even think 60 is really old anymore.

Seriously, my apologies...not a good way to introduce myself here and it was thoughtlessly phrased.
    Not to beat an "old" horse, but have you looked at how many rockers are 60 nowadays? I would challenge any number of 30-year-olds to go head to head with Bruce Springsteen as he runs, dances, jumps, cavorts, slides, and whatevers for 3 + hours (oh yeah, and sings better than ever) non-stop...night after night. Ditto for his band members. And John Mellencamp. And others in the music industry.

Welcome from a somewhat older fan than you...I'm sure you'll enjoy yourself here, and find that no one is short on opinion!
    ~Eva~

...the calling of the tide's eternal tune, the phases of the moon, the chambers of the heart, the egg and dart...

Quote Originally Posted by Peekaboo View Post
    Who DOES decide things? And Soda, at least Don and your dad leave tips. Needless to say, I have to make my dad leave a tip when I go to dinner with him and he still will only leave a couple bucks. I've lectured him many times and he's still stubborn when it comes to tipping.
    I know I'm coming a little late on this one but I have to remind my entire family sometimes that a tip is not 1-2$ but at least 15% and they still don't understand having not had to live on the salary of tips. I don't now but when I did it would make me cringe that someone would only leave $1-2. Of course having done the job myself I'm probably a little more critical on the service I receive so if someone is less than attending to the usual needs of customer service then 10% is all I'll leave. But if they are over the top then I will leave 20%.
    Last edited by Fan_For_Life; 11-11-2009 at 06:01 PM.

Here is an interesting article that Don did by e-mail prior to his London show. "E-mail? Isn't that something that is part of the Internet ?
    http://www.lfpress.com/entertainment.../11773081.html
    Last edited by GlennLover; 07-08-2010 at 02:20 PM.