Page 5 of 195 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast

Thread: Don in the Press/Blogs/etc.

A little tidbit from the nzherald, referencing the Boys of Summer:

"What do Don Henley and LCD Soundsystem's James Murphy have in common? Cary Grant and Deborah Harry? Princess Diana and Bret Easton Ellis? They have all contributed to the iconic status of a pair of heavy, angular sunglasses that were invented in 1952, worn by movie icons in that era and then revived by rockers in the late 1970s, and the Hollywood brat pack in the 1980s. Now, the Ray-Ban Wayfarer is about to have an almighty comeback."

Ahhh...Don in Wayfarers...it doesn't get much cooler than that.

Default Don in Atlantic City

Here is a pre-show interview with Don before his Borgata performances. I'm still surfing the net for reviews.

BUT--he has announced that the new Eagles album will be out on October 30--my birthday--and Timothy's! What a great birthday present that will be!
    -------------------------------------------------------------

Eagles superstar Don Henley brings solo act to Borgata
    Flying Solo
    By ERIC FINE For At The Shore, Thur, June 7, 2007

Don Henley has much more in common with Paul McCartney than Ringo Starr. Unlike many musicians who leave a well-known band, Henley boasts enough solo material to fill a “greatest hits” collection. He’s no more stuck with “Hotel California” than McCartney is with “Let It Be.”

Henley was one of four musicians who founded the Eagles in 1971 after backing Linda Ronstadt on her album “Silk Purse.” His first solo album, “I Can’t Stand Still,” included the single “Dirty Laundry”; the same year, Henley and Stevie Nicks recorded the hit “Leather and Lace.”

His 1984 album, “Building the Perfect Beast,” featured “The Boys of Summer,” which peaked at No. 5 on the charts. The Grammy winner’s other hits include “The End of the Innocence,” “All She Wants To Do Is Dance” and “Sunset Grill.”
    Henley, performing Friday and Saturday, June 8 and 9, at Borgata, answered a variety of questions that touched on his career, politics and the record industry.

Q: What’s a Don Henley concert like?

A: I have an extraordinary band, some of whom have been with me for over 20 years — very talented and versatile musicians. Most of them have the ability to play a variety of instruments, and they’re good singers, too. Just as importantly, they’re all intelligent, interesting people, and they have great senses of humor. We all get along really well, and that’s just as important as the talent. When choosing songs for any given show, I will often consult the band — ask them what they think we ought to play.
    We have a very extensive repertoire, and we try to play what we think people would want to hear. Plus, we like to throw in a couple of out-of-the-ordinary selections to give the fans a little something different and to keep us on our toes, too. In my solo shows, I don’t normally play drums. People see me do that in the Eagles, and I like to keep at least some contrast between my two careers. So, in my solo shows, I usually play guitar and sing.

Q: Looking back, how difficult was the transition between playing drums in a supergroup and playing the part of a frontman in your own band?

A: I have talked about this extensively in the past. It wasn’t easy. It took me a few years to adjust to the change. But now, after about 22 years of touring in a solo capacity, I think I’ve got it down. Also, as the fans already know, since the Eagles reunited in 1994, I don’t solely play drums in those shows, either.

Q: How does your personal approach differ from the Eagles?

A: There’s less drama.

Q: In this day and age, how strong is the relationship between politics and pop?

A: Well, I suppose that would depend on how you would define pop music. Obviously, some musicians are interested in politics, but many aren’t. The same could be said of politicians — some of them are interested in music and in the music business, and others couldn’t care less. Speaking as a musician who has been around the block a few times, I think it’s really a shame that more musicians, singers, songwriters and their managers don’t take a more active role in government affairs. Because what goes on in Washington, D.C. — and even in certain state capitals such as Sacramento, Nashville and Albany — has enormous bearing on musicians, their rights (and) their livelihoods. Unfortunately, for a number of reasons — many of which are illogical — musicians on the whole are not well organized nor sufficiently informed and engaged in the political process. Therefore, they’re always getting screwed and then wondering why.”

Q: Do you hold out hope for the record industry?

A: The record industry, as we have known it, is pretty much over. There will be a painful period of transition, which has already begun. I don’t think that anybody really knows how things will end up. The digital age has proved to be both a blessing and a curse. Those who didn’t get on the train in time are paying a big price now. Everybody’s trying to play catch-up, including the government. It’s the Wild West — the lawless frontier all over again.

Q: As a young musician, who were some of your influences?

A: My musical influences were all over the map. Drummers ranging from Gene Krupa to Ginger Baker to Al Jackson to Russ Kunkel. Songwriters almost too numerous to mention — but to name a few: Stephen Foster, Lennon and McCartney, Hank Williams, Cindy Walker, Randy Newman, Holland-Dozier-Holland, Harold Arlen, Johnny Mercer, Joni Mitchell. I’ve been influenced in some way by everything I’ve ever heard — even the bad stuff.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Great news about the album DonFan! A REAL date! From the "horse's mouth"! Thank you!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Thanks for posting that, df! This does actually sound like a more realistic date. Nice article, too!

www.donfelderonline.com
    ~~~~~
    This way to happiness...

Stuck on the Border

It sounds more promising, that's true. I've been trying to come to grips with it all day.

Stuck on the Border

Of all the influences Don mentions, I had never heard of Cindy Walker. Well, she was a fellow Texan, and one of her songs is Dream Baby, the Roy Orbison hit which the Eagles played in the early 70s. And didn't Don cover You Don't Know Me, although he isn't listed here? I note that Van Morrison did it too. If it is the same song I'm afraid to say I've never heard Don's version.

http://www.nashvillesongwritersfound...me/walker.html

Then I looked up Russ Kunkel, who seems to have played with everyone (including Don). Note the list of drummers on the left of the page. Henley is not listed. As Glenn once said, Don is an 'underrated' drummer.

http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/Russ_Kunkel.html

Stuck on the Border EasyFeeling's Avatar

There is a REAL date for the album release? I can't believe it.

Amazing to have a REAL date! Perhaps I should finally allow myself to get my hopes up.

Additionally, it's wonderful of Don to be so generous.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

That is a great story you posted, DF. You can only imagine how thrilled that lady must have been to get that autographed drumhead. And those AC pics are wonderful. Don looked great, IMO, plaid shirt and all!

Now, as far as Don's 'announcement' about the album date, while I agree that this is the most promising thing we have heard about a date, it is still hardly an official announcement. Other than giving a specific date, how is this any different than Don's "60 to 90 days" or Glenn's "two, three, four months..." comments earlier this year? Call me a skeptic, but I've heard too many similar comments in the last few years to start the celebration just yet. If this date is firm, why hasn't the band publicized it yet? I still maintain that I want to see an OFFICIAL announcement before I pop the cork on my pink champagne. If something happens and the album doesn't come out on that date, sure, there will be egg on Don's face .... BUT, Don's had egg on his face several other times before, so I don't think he would really care. If he or Glenn decides for some reason that the album is not ready to be released, then it won't be released.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

I think if it is October 30, they may start to publicise it when they're back together in September. At the moment when all these solo dates are happening, there doesn't seem much point in any 'proper' announcements or publicity.