Page 55 of 195 FirstFirst ... 54551525354555657585965105155 ... LastLast

Thread: Don in the Press/Blogs/etc.

Portland, Oregon (the only rain forest in the Northern Hemisphere)

Default Re: Don in the press

Here's an exclusive interview with Don from Diablo (San Fransisco East Bay Magazine) about a solo concert on September 20th! at Wente Vineyards. Sounds like a great opportunity to see Don close up and personal *G*
    Awesome Exclusive Interview with Don Henley of the Eagles

Cool! Some comments about the interview:

- How old is this reporter to entitle his story "Awesome Exclusive Interview with Don Henley"?

- People talking on cell phones during concerts - especially when doing so loud enough for the artist to hear - need to have their butts kicked. The texting, while rude, at least isn't disruptive to others. I remember at the Chicago show seeing the person next to me checking their e-mail via iPhone in the middle of the concert and I'm thinking "Seriously???" But it's become an addiction. They don't even understand it's rude anymore, I think. I told my class the other day, "Put away your cell phones while I'm teaching. I don't want them to be out anywhere you can see them, because I know you'll be glancing at them, your fingers itching to touch them, desperate longing on your face, and I want to help you resist the temptation to sneak a peek." I got some laughs as I continued in a melodramatic voice, "I know how you love your dear cell phone, how you clutch it to your chest and say 'Cell phone, I need you! I adore you! You are everything to me!' - but you and the love of your life will have to be separated for the next 50 minutes."

- "What is the most satisfying thing about the ongoing success of the band, and being able to perform 'Already Gone' to stadium crowds after all these years?" Don was polite not to reply "We don't." But his abrupt answer shows his annoyance, I think. Still, they play an excerpt from that song on their ad for the tour...

The interview picks up after that, though.

I'm with Don that "Waiting in the Weeds" is extremely underrated. What a masterpiece.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Henley in Diablo
    Stan [Lynch] is one of my best friends, my son’s godfather.
    I didn't know that - cool. Like the author, I like to find out little things like who these guys hang with and consider good friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Henley
    [Lynch and I] work together often and are currently co-producing my next album, which will be a collection of country songs – originals and covers.
    Oooh! This is promising! Don Henley goes hard-core country. He's letting the Texan go wild (although I think the only time he is "quasi-redneck" is when he lies out too long by his mansion's swimming pool). I bet it will be great. On a side note, I have read interviews where Glenn said he planned to do this back in 1994 (hence the country-flavored "Girl from Yesterday" on HFO), but that never materialized. Don has a better track record of actually following through with such things, though, much as I admire Glenn. I haven't forgotten about Glenn's stated intention to make an album of big band covers, but since that was several years ago now, I think I should.

And check out the story Don tells about a US spy plane crew in a prison camp, amongst other stories. Fascinating. He must be so proud.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

I read that interview earlier too. Loved the stores about HC! How amazing that must feel! I laughed at Don's response about the greatest achievement being the ongoing success of the band because it was short and to the point, and obviously a little on the annoyed side. lol

I find it interesting that it seems Don is more comfortable doing e-mail interviews, while the rest of the guys do phone interviews. I guess he appreciates the fact that e-mail interviews give him more time to think and craft his responses to perfection.

I 100% agree! Even during phone interviews or face to face interviews, it seems like Don often pauses to give thought to what he's going to say. I can only imagine that he likes the extra time he gets with the email versions. lol

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Another interesting incident occurred back in the spring of 2001 when a U.S Navy surveillance plane collided in mid-air with a communist Chinese fighter jet. A Chinese pilot was killed and the U.S. spy plane had to make an emergency landing on the Chinese-controlled island of Hainan in the South China Sea. The 24 crew members were captured and interrogated by the Chinese authorities until the U.S. government issued a letter of apology. During the 11 days of their detainment, the crew gradually developed good relations with their guards, with one guard asking them for the lyrics to "Hotel California".
    When I first started reading this, I was afraid he was going to say that the detainees were tortured by having to listen to Hotel California over and over.

Good interview.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Finally got time to read that interview. Loved it!

So, has WITW been released as a single? How can he expect it to become 'rated' if it's not released? The average music listener won't ever hear it. It's my very favorite on the LROOE cds.

Loved the stories about HC, too!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

"For the record, we never broke up, we just took a 14-year vacation!"
    (Glenn Frey)

Quote Originally Posted by AccessAtlanta
    Henley no longer does phone interviews -- he says he prefers to respond to questions on his own time and can be more articulate answering e-mailed queries.
    Looks like we guessed right there!

Atlanta is always on our tour schedule. It’s one of our strongest fan bases
    Interesting.

I don’t think that the fans want to hear any speeches from us
    Especially if a speech means we'll have a shorter encore.

We don’t have a group ritual. Sports teams have a pregame “pump-up” because they’re trying to crush an opponent. We don’t have an opponent. We just have thousands of allies.
    It's true we're all allies, but his reason for "pump-up" sure is negative. I always thought it was to build solidarity and a feeling of brotherhood - no matter what happens, we're in it together. And didn't they used to do something like this by singing "Seven Bridges Road" back in the day? Did he view performing back then as trying to crush an opponent? Not the audience, necessarily, but perhaps personal demons.

Or I might be making too much out of that statement!

I enjoy working on two projects at once because one informs the other. Country and R&B share some basic elements. There will be original material and some covers on both recordings.
    This is so cool. It reminds me of Lindsey Buckingham putting out two albums in as many years - one acoustic and one electric. Just record the songs at one time and put them on the album that fits 'em.

Ray Charles and Otis Redding, both native Georgians, had a profound effect on me.
    Ooh, work the local angle. Smooth, Don, smooth!

And then, he goes on to diss Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube. Nothing new there.

As for Twitter, here's what I get when I do a search for "Don Henley":
    http://twitter.com/search/users?q=do...ind_on_twitter

But in all seriousness, I can relate to the fraud aspect at least. Some of you may remember this:
    https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/...ead.php?t=1666

http://www.austin360.com/music/acl-f...es-952763.html

ACL Fest 2010 preview: The Eagles
    It's a Don Henley interview
    "For the record, we never broke up, we just took a 14-year vacation!"
    (Glenn Frey)