Page 6 of 195 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656106 ... LastLast

Thread: Don in the Press/Blogs/etc.

A new article. Check out the photo!

http://www.elpasotimes.com/entertainment/ci_6528651

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Great! Thanks Soda!

I especially like the part about the new album coming out "by the end of the year." Nice and vague, huh! At least it's something!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke
    I especially like the part about the new album coming out "by the end of the year." Nice and vague, huh! At least it's something!
    I'll buy it when it comes out. I guess I seriously need to get a life.
    How can love survive in such a graceless age?

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Quote Originally Posted by SweetHolly
    Welcome to my world SH!

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer
    Quote Originally Posted by SweetHolly
    Welcome to my world SH!
    At least I'm not the only one who thinks like this.

From the Oklahoma newspapers:

DON HENLEY ROCKS THE OKC ZOO—8-6-07

With a voice that hasn't changed in more than 30 years, rocker Don Henley proved Sunday night to an Oklahoma City audience that his music and his message never goes out of style.
    The former Eagle got the near sold-out crowd at the Zoo Amphitheatre on their feet first with "Dirty Laundry,” joking later that he was dedicating the song to Court TV star Nancy Grace and the American press.

The next song, "Sunset Grill” mellowed everyone out a bit, but almost everyone in the audience seemed to be singing along.
    Henley then took the audience back to 1972 with a performance of "Witchy Woman” and then spanned ahead more than a decade to "New York Minute,” the crowd singing along to every word.
    Henley seemed comfortable in a standard untucked plaid shirt, black jeans and white sneakers. During the hour and 43-minute set, he played guitar and took a turn at the congas during an encore performance of "Hotel California,” but he never stepped up to the drums, the instrument he played while with the Eagles.
    Also on encore, Henley played "Desperado” letting the crowd sing solo the line "let somebody love you.”

Politics and environmentalism were never far from the surface during Henley's performance. He changed the words in "End of the Innocence” to "Cheney had to lie,” which drew applause from the crowd. His last two songs were "Disappearing World” by David Gray and "I Will Not Go Quietly.” Of "Disappearing World” he said, "This is very personal,” and "I need sunscreen.”

Henley did not sing one song from his last album, "Inside Job.” He also did not introduce his band — two guitarists, a bassist, a drummer and two men rotating between piano, synthesizer and keyboards.

At the end of the show, Henley thanked his Oklahoma audience for inviting him to their party.

------------------------------------------------------------
    NEWSOK.COM 08-07-07 Don Henley Takes Fans Down Memory Lane

Rocker Don Henley proved Sunday night to an Oklahoma City audience that his music and his message never go out of style.
    Lucinda Williams opened for Henley, beginning just a few minutes ahead of the concert's 7:30 p.m. start time and playing about an hour. The crowd was ready to dance and party, however, by the time Henley took the stage at 8:55 p.m.

The former Eagle got the near sold-out crowd on its feet first, dancing with "Dirty Laundry,” joking later that he was dedicating the song to Court TV star Nancy Grace and the American press. The next song, "Sunset Grill,” mellowed everyone a bit, but almost the entire audience seemed to be singing along.

After singing the first two songs, Henley said hello to his Oklahoma audience by singing "where the wind comes sweeping down the plains.” "Great song,” he said. Then he joked that his new favorite song is "Spider Pig” from "The Simpsons Movie.” Henley then took his audience on a tour through the decades, starting in 1972 with a performance of "Witchy Woman” and then spanning ahead to 1989 with "New York Minute.” The crowd sang along to every word, even the oohs and aahs, and Henley hit every high note, which brought huge applause.

Henley seemed comfortable in an untucked plaid shirt, black jeans and Converse sneakers. His set was no-frills with only a few lighting effects throughout the night. During the hour-and-43-minute set, he played guitar and took a turn at the congas during an encore performance of "Hotel California,” but he never stepped up to the drums, the instrument he played while with the Eagles. Also on encore, Henley sang the classic, "Desperado,” letting the crowd sing solo the line "let somebody love you.”

Though Henley did not overtly speak much about politics and environmentalism, his pet themes were never far from the surface during his performance. He changed the words in "End of the Innocence” to "Cheney had to lie,” which got big applause from his audience. His last two songs were "Disappearing World” by David Gray and "I Will Not Go Quietly.” Of "Disappearing World,” he said, "This is very personal,” and "I need sunscreen,” undoubtedly referencing his passion about global warming.

He played other favorite hits such as "The Heart of the Matter” and "The Last Worthless Evening,” but the absence of even one song from his last album, "Inside Job,” left some in the audience wondering what's going on in Henley's life, for a man who wears his heart so obviously on his sleeve in his music.

Henley also threw in a few curves by singing a Mark Knopfler song, "I'm the Fool,” and the Tears for Fears tune "Everybody Wants to Change the World.” The audience didn't seem to mind, jumping to its feet and dancing to the '80s hit. At the end of the show, Henley thanked his Oklahoma audience for inviting him to their party.

From a Dallas newspaper:

POP REVIEW: Don Henley, Pretenders mix rock, social commentary at Nokia--Monday, August 6, 2007
    By THOR CHRISTENSEN / Music Critic

GRAND PRAIRIE – The defining moment of Saturday night's Don Henley/Pretenders/Stray Cats triple-bill came when Chrissie Hynde tore into "Popstar," a song about how vapid today's chart-toppers are. "They don't make 'em like they used to," she sang. At its best, the four-hour concert made her words ring true.

Hometown boy Mr. Henley headlined the show with a lesson in the fading art of mixing rock and social commentary. He dedicated the show-opening "Dirty Laundry" to Rupert Murdoch, saying "Y'all gonna be getting naked pictures with your Wall Street Journal now."

The near-capacity Nokia Theatre crowd laughed. But not everyone was pleased when he snuck a jab at Vice President Dick Cheney into "The End of the Innocence." For the most part, Mr. Henley let his hits do the talking – from solo gems such as "Boys of Summer" to Eagles classics like "Desperado" and "Hotel California." At age 60, his voice is in better shape than a lot of his peers': He nailed the falsetto on "Witchy Woman" with offhand ease.

And just when the show was getting too slick and the songs too note-for-note perfect, he switched gears. After reinventing "The End of the Innocence" with a sultry gospel-blues intro, he caught fans off guard with a bold reading of Tears For Fears' "Everybody Wants to Rule the World." "I didn't write this song," he said, "but it seems to be appropriate these days."

Like Mr. Henley, Ms. Hynde wasn't about to keep her opinions to herself. "It's time in the set to make some enemies," she said, launching into a mini-diatribe against the meat industry and the "slaughter" of innocent animals. "Oh, what the [expletive] – we'll do one for the meat-eaters now," she said Saturday night, introducing "Back on the Chain Gang."

Artistically, the Stray Cats have never been on the same level as Mr. Henley or the Pretenders. But since they rarely tour, it's easy to forget how much fun they are onstage. Drummer Slim Jim Phantom began "Rock This Town" by leaping from atop his drum kit, Lee Rocker climbed all over his stand-up bass (while playing it, no less), and Brian Setzer darted around, his blond pompadour shining in the spotlight. "We're still here," he said, grinning, "and not looking too bad either, I might add."

You know this suprises me that Thor actually gave a positive review of the concert because his reviews are usually very negative. My friends and I can't stand Thor and whenever we go to concerts, we always hope that the Dallas Morning News doesn't send him and when they do, we really hate reading about the negatives about the concert when his reviews run in the paper. I seem to remember a few months ago, one lady wrote into the opinions section in the Metro section complaining about his negativity.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonFan
    From a Dallas newspaper:

POP REVIEW: Don Henley, Pretenders mix rock, social commentary at Nokia--Monday, August 6, 2007
    By THOR CHRISTENSEN / Music Critic

GRAND PRAIRIE – The defining moment of Saturday night's Don Henley/Pretenders/Stray Cats triple-bill came when Chrissie Hynde tore into "Popstar," a song about how vapid today's chart-toppers are. "They don't make 'em like they used to," she sang. At its best, the four-hour concert made her words ring true.

Hometown boy Mr. Henley headlined the show with a lesson in the fading art of mixing rock and social commentary. He dedicated the show-opening "Dirty Laundry" to Rupert Murdoch, saying "Y'all gonna be getting naked pictures with your Wall Street Journal now."

The near-capacity Nokia Theatre crowd laughed. But not everyone was pleased when he snuck a jab at Vice President Dick Cheney into "The End of the Innocence." For the most part, Mr. Henley let his hits do the talking – from solo gems such as "Boys of Summer" to Eagles classics like "Desperado" and "Hotel California." At age 60, his voice is in better shape than a lot of his peers': He nailed the falsetto on "Witchy Woman" with offhand ease.

And just when the show was getting too slick and the songs too note-for-note perfect, he switched gears. After reinventing "The End of the Innocence" with a sultry gospel-blues intro, he caught fans off guard with a bold reading of Tears For Fears' "Everybody Wants to Rule the World." "I didn't write this song," he said, "but it seems to be appropriate these days."

Like Mr. Henley, Ms. Hynde wasn't about to keep her opinions to herself. "It's time in the set to make some enemies," she said, launching into a mini-diatribe against the meat industry and the "slaughter" of innocent animals. "Oh, what the [expletive] – we'll do one for the meat-eaters now," she said Saturday night, introducing "Back on the Chain Gang."

Artistically, the Stray Cats have never been on the same level as Mr. Henley or the Pretenders. But since they rarely tour, it's easy to forget how much fun they are onstage. Drummer Slim Jim Phantom began "Rock This Town" by leaping from atop his drum kit, Lee Rocker climbed all over his stand-up bass (while playing it, no less), and Brian Setzer darted around, his blond pompadour shining in the spotlight. "We're still here," he said, grinning, "and not looking too bad either, I might add."

Former Eagle on time, on a roll in El Paso
    By Victor R. Martinez / El Paso Times

08/08/2007

Don Henley wowed the crowd during his Tuesday night performance at the Plaza Theatre.
    For much of his 2 hour, 17-song set, the singer and songwriter stood proud in his black, untucked button-down shirt with matching black jeans and black athletic shoes -- much to the pleasure of the sold-out crowd of more than 2,000 fans.

After opening with "Dirty Laundry" and "Sunset Grill," Henley playfully apologized for starting on time. "I'm sorry for that," he said. "Obviously, you guys weren't expecting that."

Henley then talked about how he used to dedicate "Dirty Laundry" -- "my Valentine to the American news media" -- to Rupert Murdoch, "who bought the Wall Street Journal, by the way, so now you will get naked ladies with your stock quotes. "Now I dedicate it to (CNN Headline News talk show host) Nancy Grace; and how a woman like that could have grace in her name is beyond me," he said.

Every song Henley played had a story behind it. From "Sunset Grill," his ode to the working class, to "Last Worthless Evening," about a girl he and Jack Nicholson were "working on" ("she finally left with Jack but I made millions writing this song").

Henley appeared to be in a great mood, constantly complimenting the audience and even saying something nice about the venue. "We are not used to playing in places like this," he said of the Plaza Theatre. "This place is beautiful, take care of it."

Henley and his six-piece band of two keyboardists, two guitarists, bass player and drummer, kept the crowd grooving in their seats until they busted out into Eagles favorite "One Of These Nights."

Watching some in the crowd, it seemed they were out of practice, most sat in their seats seemingly forgetting they were at a rock concert. They would occasionally stand, but after Henley busted into "Dance," the crowd stood and swayed to the music.

As the leader of the 1970s superstar band The Eagles, Henley was the voice and lead writer of some of the band's biggest hits, including "Desperado," "One Of These Nights" and "Hotel California," all which he played Tuesday night.

Henley showed off his pitch-perfect tenor in the opening chorus of "End of the Innocence." One of the surprises of the evening was the Joe Walsh-like playing of the lead guitar work of Frank Sams, who was excellent in "Life in the Fast Lane," "Hotel California" and "I Will Not Go Quietly."

Age has added a quality to Henley's music and not all musicians can claim to be as fine- tuned as he was Tuesday after two hours and two encores of some classic rock that left El Pasoans waiting for the next tour.

---------------------------------------------------

Frank Sams?

Love the postscript to the Last Worthless Evening story!

She chose Jack over Don? Maybe she thought he was richer, lol. It certainly couldn't have been looks.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten