Page 8 of 195 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858108 ... LastLast

Thread: Don in the Press/Blogs/etc.

Don gave a new email interview yesterday to the Texarkana Press. His interviews are always articulate and interesting, and this one is full of little tidbits such a the fact that "marketing genius" Irving Azoff was solely responsible for their exclusive Walmart deal, and oh, by the way, there is talk within the band of touring, maybe even "something in the spring. " yay!

Read and enjoy:

A Fortunate Son
    Linden native Don Henley continues success with new Eagles album
    By: Aaron Brand - Texarkana Gazette - Published: 01/06/2008

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Thanks for posting that DF. That was a great read. Don sounded so positive and the thoughts of them possibly "doing something in the spring". AAAACCCCCCKKKKKKK!!!!!!!

And now that I have regained conscientiousness, I wouldn't think there is any way that they could put a full-blown tour together in the spring so quickly unless they have been secretly working on it for some time. However, they may do a few dates. Something is better than nothing, that's for sure!

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

This article made me smile. I love how upbeat Don sounded. He has every right to be extremely proud of Long Road Out of Eden and I know he and the rest of the guys must be gratified that it's selling so well. They're making history once again.

A spring tour (or spate of shows) makes me happy! Time to save up my pennies...

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Thanks for posting this article Donfan. I love reading and listening to his interviews. No matter what people may think of his opinionated ways, he always comes across as an extremely intelligent and interesting person.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Henley

An idea for a song can come from reading a great book, watching the evening news, reading a magazine or observing other people. Sometimes I get ideas for songs when I’m doing simple, everyday tasks like loading the dishwasher or gardening.
    It's nice to think of him as an "Ordinary Average Joe!"

We’ve had several years of really bad music in this country and people, especially those in the Baby Boom generation, are ready for some good melodies and lyrics again... There’s too much vapid pablum on the radio, too much airheaded, clichéd junk that doesn’t mean anything. There’s very little that grownups and thinking people can relate to out there these days. Those are some of the reasons that this album has been so well received.
    Amen to that! Mature adults writing mature lyrics - how refreshing!

Again, we wanted a collection of songs that dealt with a great variety of subject matter. We wanted songs that would showcase both our harmony singing abilities and our musicianship and, as always, we put a tremendous amount of effort into writing lyrics. In some cases, such as the title song, I even did research just as you would for a thesis. I enjoy doing that.
    I wonder if he needs a research assistant? That would be right up my alley and I'm in the market for a different job!

We’ve also been nominated for a Grammy for “How Long,” which was the first single to be released from the album. The entire album will not be eligible for a Grammy until next year.
    I was wondering how this worked. How great would that be if they get more nominations next year?

My own relationship to songwriting and music hasn’t changed a great deal over the years. I still enjoy the process, although it can be very difficult at times. I like to think that I’m getting better at songwriting and that my best work is still ahead of me.
    Glad to hear that! I don't care if it's solo work or more Eagles' tunes - I'd love to hear more from him in the coming years.

Unfortunately, we still have some government officials who are not forward-thinking people. They don’t see the value in tourism or in historic architecture. It’s really a shame...When I see these television commercials touting “Clean Coal,” it makes me sick to my stomach. That’s one of the biggest lies ever perpetrated on the American public and, unfortunately, some people are buying into it.
    Ah, yes, here's the Don I know and love!

Any touring that we might do in 2008 is still in the preliminary planning stages. We’ve been talking about doing something in the spring.
    Don't forget the Motor City!

When I was a kid, I was always fascinated by the covers of the vinyl albums and I read every word of the liner notes. When all that got shrunk down to CD size it was disappointing, but at least there was still something to look at, something to hold and to read.
    I miss this too! Not so much the sound quality of vinyl, but the album covers and liner notes.
    "You don't have to prove nothin' to nobody, just take good care of yourself."

"Mature adults writing mature lyrics--how refreshing!"
    Katherine, have you seen the commercial with James Lipton translating for a customer with Gyco Insurance? He says something along those lines and it always makes me laugh. I have watched his interviews on Inside the Actor's Studio for years.

One of my now-favorite phrases from Don's article above is "vapid pablum."

Oh, and don't bother applying for the research assistant job--I have that one all sewed up!

Quote Originally Posted by DonFan
    "Mature adults writing mature lyrics--how refreshing!"
    Katherine, have you seen the commercial with James Lipton translating for a customer with Gyco Insurance? He says something along those lines and it always makes me laugh. I have watched his interviews on Inside the Actor's Studio for years.

One of my now-favorite phrases from Don's article above is "vapid pablum."

Oh, and don't bother applying for the research assistant job--I have that one all sewed up!
    I haven't seen that commercial, but I do get a kick out of James Lipton. My cable company doesn't get Bravo (unbelievable as that may seem!), so I don't get to see his interviews unless I happen to catch one while I'm at my mom's house.

I agree with you on the "vapid pablum" phrase. I have to admit, I had to look up "pablum." Just today, my sister and I were discussing how we love to use big words and interesting phrases around each other. It's like we have this contest to see who can impress the other more with our vocabulary. If I can only find a way to fit "vapid pablum" into one of our conversations, I think I'll have her beat!

As for the research assistant job, I'm thinking there's enough work to go around for the both of us. I have no objection to sharing him - uh, I mean the job - with you.
    "You don't have to prove nothin' to nobody, just take good care of yourself."

Quote Originally Posted by katherine5832

I agree with you on the "vapid pablum" phrase. I have to admit, I had to look up "pablum." Just today, my sister and I were discussing how we love to use big words and interesting phrases around each other. It's like we have this contest to see who can impress the other more with our vocabulary. If I can only find a way to fit "vapid pablum" into one of our conversations, I think I'll have her beat!

As for the research assistant job, I'm thinking there's enough work to go around for the both of us. I have no objection to sharing him - uh, I mean the job - with you.
    As a writer and an English major, like Don, I love words and the use of language, but I confess that I have added more words to my vocabulary in the last 3 or 4 years since I began reading about Don and reading his personal interviews than almost all of the years beforehand. Want some examples? Excoriate, cognoscenti, paroxysm, misanthropic, anodyne, iconoclast, to name a few. One writer said one of Don's songs was "a long vituperative screed"--that is probably my personal favorite. Don is endlessly fascinating and continues to be an invaluable source of knowledge. (Not to mention he is gorgeous and his voice makes me weak in the knees, but that is a whole 'nother conversation .) Good luck impressing your sister, BTW.

Oh, and the "sharing" part? I guess we can work something out....

Don't trust her, Katherine! As soon as DF gets within arm's reach of Henley, all bets are off.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by SodaScouts
    Don't trust her, Katherine! As soon as DF gets within arm's reach of Henley, all bets are off.
    Ahh, you know me too well, Soda.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Hey - wait just a second. I thought we had a rule here on the board about playing nice and sharing!

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016