Quote Originally Posted by MikeA View Post
Well, I took my USB adapter (Analog to Digital converter TonePort DI-s) up to my father-in-law's this morning and set it up on his Win-7 computer. Had to download all new software drivers for Win-7 and also got the latest update to Gearbox. I was surprised that they even had an update for Gearbox since they (Line-6) have switched their product to Pod Farm. It is really about the same stuff.

On my computer, the TonePort device works perfectly as near as I can tell. Latency is just not a factor.

But on Clair's computer, it is an issue. There is a definite delay between striking a chord and hearing it through the computer's speakers. That's a real problem is you are recording multiple tracks, one at a time. You have to play the second track in sync with the first one and that is almost impossible to do if what you play is delayed by a fraction of a second. Oh, if you can concentrate hard enough to keep on playing and try to ignore what is playing back from your current instrument (or vocals) then you can come back later and time-shift it to get it all synced up.

But you shouldn't have that problem. Especially with the computer I built for Clair! It will literally run circles around mine. There must be something else in the drivers for Win-7 that isn't present in the Windows XP version.

I've got to get that latency problem solved for him. I plan to GIVE the USB device to Clair and get one of the UX2 devices that has phantom power built in for condenser mics. If I can do that, then I can eliminate the mixing board from my signal path...one less device to rob signal strength or color it in some way not desired!
Hmmmmmmm... I dunno what to suggest there. I repair computers but I have no clue what to suggest for that problem LOL!

Today I'm working on a computer SO infected with viruses, spyware, trojans, rogues, adware, you name it. It's got one of everything on here and so painfully slow. I feel like going to command prompt and typing reformat C: and hit enter and just go back with an install disc and start all over, but that isn't an option - this person has documents on here that haven't been backed up. That's one of the things that drives me crazy, because if you don't back up stuff - you're going to lose it at some point, that's a promise. Someday I'll go over my techniques on how to bring a computer back to life that has malware, but I'll do that over in the Gearhead thread since this isn't the tech thread lol!