Page 4 of 40 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Member's Sound Bytes and Vids

Default Re: Member's Sound Bytes and Vids

Quote Originally Posted by MikeA View Post
    Well, I took my USB adapter (Analog to Digital converter TonePort DI-s) up to my father-in-law's this morning and set it up on his Win-7 computer. Had to download all new software drivers for Win-7 and also got the latest update to Gearbox. I was surprised that they even had an update for Gearbox since they (Line-6) have switched their product to Pod Farm. It is really about the same stuff.

On my computer, the TonePort device works perfectly as near as I can tell. Latency is just not a factor.

But on Clair's computer, it is an issue. There is a definite delay between striking a chord and hearing it through the computer's speakers. That's a real problem is you are recording multiple tracks, one at a time. You have to play the second track in sync with the first one and that is almost impossible to do if what you play is delayed by a fraction of a second. Oh, if you can concentrate hard enough to keep on playing and try to ignore what is playing back from your current instrument (or vocals) then you can come back later and time-shift it to get it all synced up.

But you shouldn't have that problem. Especially with the computer I built for Clair! It will literally run circles around mine. There must be something else in the drivers for Win-7 that isn't present in the Windows XP version.

I've got to get that latency problem solved for him. I plan to GIVE the USB device to Clair and get one of the UX2 devices that has phantom power built in for condenser mics. If I can do that, then I can eliminate the mixing board from my signal path...one less device to rob signal strength or color it in some way not desired!
    Hmmmmmmm... I dunno what to suggest there. I repair computers but I have no clue what to suggest for that problem LOL!

Today I'm working on a computer SO infected with viruses, spyware, trojans, rogues, adware, you name it. It's got one of everything on here and so painfully slow. I feel like going to command prompt and typing reformat C: and hit enter and just go back with an install disc and start all over, but that isn't an option - this person has documents on here that haven't been backed up. That's one of the things that drives me crazy, because if you don't back up stuff - you're going to lose it at some point, that's a promise. Someday I'll go over my techniques on how to bring a computer back to life that has malware, but I'll do that over in the Gearhead thread since this isn't the tech thread lol!
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

I'm pretty "green" when it comes to computers. I got a late start. First job as a programmer was in 1970. In essence, I STILL have that job 45 years later! Never changed employers....just went along with the equipment when either it or the company was sold.

But all my work has been on mainframes Austin. I've little more than learn-by-doing experience on Micro Computers. Started with them as a hobby back around 1983 I think. Back when Commodore first offered their revolutionary Vic-20. And it really was revolutionary. Before that, about the only thing available was the Commodore Pet and the Radio Shack TRS80. With the TRS80, you either had to write your own operating system, or you could pay a fortune for one. That's what made the Vic-20 so good for the public...it came with the OS built into a chip!

MikeA

Quote Originally Posted by MikeA View Post
    I'm pretty "green" when it comes to computers. I got a late start. First job as a programmer was in 1970. In essence, I STILL have that job 45 years later! Never changed employers....just went along with the equipment when either it or the company was sold.

But all my work has been on mainframes Austin. I've little more than learn-by-doing experience on Micro Computers. Started with them as a hobby back around 1983 I think. Back when Commodore first offered their revolutionary Vic-20. And it really was revolutionary. Before that, about the only thing available was the Commodore Pet and the Radio Shack TRS80. With the TRS80, you either had to write your own operating system, or you could pay a fortune for one. That's what made the Vic-20 so good for the public...it came with the OS built into a chip!
    Very Cool!!!!!!!

I'm a tech geek to the max.. I love Macs and those are my favorite, but I have Windows computers and pretty much my repair work is all Windows/PC.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post

I'm a tech geek to the max.. I love Macs and those are my favorite, but I have Windows computers and pretty much my repair work is all Windows/PC.
    WF88, I don't usually come to this thread, but did today and am glad I did! I have a Mac at home (PC at work) and get very frustrated at times trying to do things and lots of times programs don't work with them. Maybe I've found someone who can help me next time I get stuck! Just yesterday I was trying to download the Picasa photo editing program (supposedly for Macs) and after I got it downloaded it told me it didn't work with my Mac!

Sorry to go off topic, but where's that tech thread?!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    WF88, I don't usually come to this thread, but did today and am glad I did! I have a Mac at home (PC at work) and get very frustrated at times trying to do things and lots of times programs don't work with them. Maybe I've found someone who can help me next time I get stuck! Just yesterday I was trying to download the Picasa photo editing program (supposedly for Macs) and after I got it downloaded it told me it didn't work with my Mac!

Sorry to go off topic, but where's that tech thread?!
    If the Mac doesn't have the Intel processor it won't work. If its an older Mac it probably has a PPC processor. Google's new software (Chrome, Picasa, etc) all require an Intel processor. Probably not what you wanted to hear though!

The tech thread comment was a joke on my part - there is no tech thread!
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

This isn't a video of me playing, but rather a tour of my guitar studio room. I figured I'd post it here so it doesn't get lost in the Gearhead thread and everyone can see it!

WARNING: It is a shaky video with a handheld camera. Don't watch if you have motion sickness.

http://s1117.photobucket.com/albums/...nt=guitars.mp4
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Well thanks for the tour, Austin. That was fun and your guitar collection is very impressive. Even I understand that.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    Well thanks for the tour, Austin. That was fun and your guitar collection is very impressive. Even I understand that.
    Thanks!
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

Stuck on the Border tequila girl's Avatar

Thanks from me too OGG -I enjoyed the tour immensley, that is some collection - i'm impressed!!
    ~Carole~

There is no more new frontier - we have got to make it here

Quote Originally Posted by tequila girl View Post
    Thanks from me too OGG -I enjoyed the tour immensley, that is some collection - i'm impressed!!
    Thanks!! As I've said - I'm quite guitar obsessed and I love playing them and playing what I collect. All of them have been on stage with me at some point (the electric guitars) and I use them for different things.

Usually at a show I'll bring a small rack of guitars. A Les Paul, a Telecaster, a Stratocaster, a PRS or Carvin, 12-string, and my Taylor 6 string acoustic. It's usually 6 or 7 guitars and I change every 3 or so songs. We do acoustic stuff early in the set, and electric stuff later on in the set and usually close with Hotel California. My other guitar player is a die-hard Stratocaster (Fender) player, but picks up a Gibson for those heavier songs. Where as I'm more partial to Les Pauls and those are my favorites to play. It's nice because we have two unique guitar tones, and we never get in each others way tonally and we both cut through with different guitar sounds. If he's playing single coil, I'm playing humbucker or vice versa.

Geek talk, I know!
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger