Page 3 of 40 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Member's Sound Bytes and Vids

Default Re: Member's Sound Bytes and Vids

Quote Originally Posted by MikeA View Post
    Yeah, those 335's are really at home with a cleaner tubey sound. Warm maybe with a touch of distortion. The crunchy stuff is suited more to the Pauls.

I hope I'll be able to return to all those vids and study them at leisure. I get the drift.....some might think they are choppy, but got to remember folks, he's playing his parts and not the other instruments so it isn't like a performance...or it is, but only one part of the whole!

I get it. And it is exactly the kind of stuff I really enjoy watching! Thanks!
    Yeah I originally had it with just a warm blues overdrive pedal but the amp is so loud it REALLY distorts the camera mic where it sounds crunchy/fuzzy. Maybe I'll figure out how to get the sound directly in and mix it with video. Never get a Twin Reverb just for home playing. They will blow out the windows past, say, 3 lol.

And yes, I play just one guitar, my other guitar player in the band plays the other guitar part. I like to think I do a good job on what I do play.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

You do an excellent job on it Austin....never in any way meant anything to the contrary! I'm eating it up!

Any possibility of getting an audio of your band performing? That's even harder to do than getting a camera video made. But if you can, I'd really like to hear one of your gigs!

Oh, I've never tried syncing an audio segment with a video. I wouldn't have a clue as to how to even start!

MikeA

You do an excellent job on it Austin....never in any way meant anything to the contrary! I'm eating it up!

Any possibility of getting an audio of your band performing? That's even harder to do than getting a camera video made. But if you can, I'd really like to hear one of your gigs!
    Oh no, I knew what you meant! I just meant when I play live! I knew what you were saying. I just meant that I like to think I play good on stage, not in my vids hehe.

I will try to get some audio - I'm trying to think about how to go about getting audio. I have some videos of our first warm-up gig as a band, but there is no way in heck I'm putting that up!

I wish I got some footage of Ausfest in September. Ausfest is my own music fest I do every year, but this year was the first time. I had lots of players and a couple bands and we had a blast. Food and drinks, music, and the little kids played games. It's at the family's cabin my dad built in the woods and it's a blast. I got up and played with a blues band, a country band, and then of course the Stone Eagles played and I had one of the guys from the blues band sit in on "Heartache Tonight". I don't know why I didn't think to bring a damn video camera and record it. I got some pics though if you are interested in them! I also have a pic of the guys in the band too - taken at a Barnyard Jam last year.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Not ready to post anything on it, but I was working on the first solo in HC and segway'd right into "I Can't Tell You Why!" That solo that follows the bass walk-up laps right over Felder's first solo in HC <LOL>

That works well for me. If peeps think I'm trying to play that HC part and hear all the errors, I can just flip to ICTYW and confuse everyone so they have no idea WHAT I'm playing!

MikeA

Not ready to post anything on it, but I was working on the first solo in HC and segway'd right into "I Can't Tell You Why!" That solo that follows the bass walk-up laps right over Felder's first solo in HC <LOL>

That works well for me. If peeps think I'm trying to play that HC part and hear all the errors, I can just flip to ICTYW and confuse everyone so they have no idea WHAT I'm playing!
    LOL!

The ICTYW solo is meant for a 335. Mine gets that tone with my blues overdrive and my Twin Reverb.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

-Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

You're gettin' it Austin with the 335! Wonderful instruments! They show best with a clean slightly overdriven tube amp and some reverb. Don't need much else except a mic to pick up that warm tone. Just think about that tone that Stu/Felder cranked out on "ICTYW". It just sort of drips blues.

But they also can crank out with overdrive too. The "image" isn't right for those tones, but the humbuckers can really scream. They might lack a little in sustain when compared to a Paul or Strat, but not much because of that solid block of wood that runs through the body....and a pedal that will resonate the notes will artificially produce that missing sustain if you really have to have it.

The tone is almost everything with the 335. But I love the feel of the neck and fretboard too. I do not own another guitar nor have I ever played one that has a better feel. I've equated it before to a smooth almost buttery feel. It is a pretty heavy guitar and it is big. It does take some getting used to especially if you have it strapped on for long periods. I used to come home from Praise Services with a shoulder that was sore!

On the amps....I had a little Marshall for a while and it was good for what I bought it for, but I have my AD30VT VOX now that has an atentuation control on the back that lets the full out tilt settings sound good at low volumes....you don't have to peel paint with it to get the full saturation though you do need high volumes to get the full effect of the speaker characteristics. I'm happy for the Marshall now though as it is in the hands of someone who needed it more than I and it is getting the love I never gave it.

What kind of camera are you using? I have some video capability with a little Cannon 12mp point and shoot job. I've never tried any audio capture with it using the video.

Audio capture is sort of funny. The further away from the amp the mic is, the more of the lower frequencies you pick up. I usually have my condenser mics maybe 16" from the speakers when I am capturing a track. That seems to get about the most rounded sound to my ears. Moving the mic further away causes you to have to record at higher levels and that picks up too much ambient noise for my tastes. My setup is in my basement and the central heating and air "blower" is in a closet right off my office. If I'm running through a quiet passage and that furnace kicks on, well, it's start over time! But with the mic close to the amp, my ears aren't good enough to pick up that roar from the furnace on a recording if I'm hanging on the wires pretty heavy.

I'm disconnecting my USB interface today and taking it up to my Father-in-law's. He's having a lot of trouble with double tracking. He'll use a mic to pickup his violin on a track and then use the mic to record his guitar. When he strums or picks his rhythm on the guitar the mic is recording it but also picks up the sounds coming from the speakers that are giving him a monitor on the violin track. Really gets muddied up when that happens.

That's where the Direct Interface function of the USB adapters come in to their own! Since you are recording directly from the instrument, you can play your accompanyment as low as you wish and not pick up any frequency! No microphone involved. But to do that, you will have to have found an artificial combination of digital amps and effects that give you the plugged sound you were after. If that doesn't work for you, then you'll have to go to headphones and those produce a lot of problems of their own.

I detest wired headphones but for audio, they are probably the best. Dang chord is always in the way and usually not long enough! Cordless headphones in theory would be the solution, but they have a tendency to pick up all sorts of interference around a computer. Distracting even if that static isn't being captured in your recording.

MikeA

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I finally got around to listening to your video/audio clips, Mike and Austin. Thanks for sharing these with us. Sure wish I could contribute here, but the only musical talent I have is that my ears like to listen to it.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

You're gettin' it Austin with the 335! Wonderful instruments! They show best with a clean slightly overdriven tube amp and some reverb. Don't need much else except a mic to pick up that warm tone. Just think about that tone that Stu/Felder cranked out on "ICTYW". It just sort of drips blues.

But they also can crank out with overdrive too. The "image" isn't right for those tones, but the humbuckers can really scream. They might lack a little in sustain when compared to a Paul or Strat, but not much because of that solid block of wood that runs through the body....and a pedal that will resonate the notes will artificially produce that missing sustain if you really have to have it.

The tone is almost everything with the 335. But I love the feel of the neck and fretboard too. I do not own another guitar nor have I ever played one that has a better feel. I've equated it before to a smooth almost buttery feel. It is a pretty heavy guitar and it is big. It does take some getting used to especially if you have it strapped on for long periods. I used to come home from Praise Services with a shoulder that was sore!

On the amps....I had a little Marshall for a while and it was good for what I bought it for, but I have my AD30VT VOX now that has an atentuation control on the back that lets the full out tilt settings sound good at low volumes....you don't have to peel paint with it to get the full saturation though you do need high volumes to get the full effect of the speaker characteristics. I'm happy for the Marshall now though as it is in the hands of someone who needed it more than I and it is getting the love I never gave it.

What kind of camera are you using? I have some video capability with a little Cannon 12mp point and shoot job. I've never tried any audio capture with it using the video.

Audio capture is sort of funny. The further away from the amp the mic is, the more of the lower frequencies you pick up. I usually have my condenser mics maybe 16" from the speakers when I am capturing a track. That seems to get about the most rounded sound to my ears. Moving the mic further away causes you to have to record at higher levels and that picks up too much ambient noise for my tastes. My setup is in my basement and the central heating and air "blower" is in a closet right off my office. If I'm running through a quiet passage and that furnace kicks on, well, it's start over time! But with the mic close to the amp, my ears aren't good enough to pick up that roar from the furnace on a recording if I'm hanging on the wires pretty heavy.

I'm disconnecting my USB interface today and taking it up to my Father-in-law's. He's having a lot of trouble with double tracking. He'll use a mic to pickup his violin on a track and then use the mic to record his guitar. When he strums or picks his rhythm on the guitar the mic is recording it but also picks up the sounds coming from the speakers that are giving him a monitor on the violin track. Really gets muddied up when that happens.

That's where the Direct Interface function of the USB adapters come in to their own! Since you are recording directly from the instrument, you can play your accompanyment as low as you wish and not pick up any frequency! No microphone involved. But to do that, you will have to have found an artificial combination of digital amps and effects that give you the plugged sound you were after. If that doesn't work for you, then you'll have to go to headphones and those produce a lot of problems of their own.

I detest wired headphones but for audio, they are probably the best. Dang chord is always in the way and usually not long enough! Cordless headphones in theory would be the solution, but they have a tendency to pick up all sorts of interference around a computer. Distracting even if that static isn't being captured in your recording.
    My camera is a point and shoot too, I believe its a Kodak something or another LOL!

Dreamer - Thanks!!!
    Last edited by WalshFan88; 11-13-2010 at 04:24 PM.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

Well, I took my USB adapter (Analog to Digital converter TonePort DI-s) up to my father-in-law's this morning and set it up on his Win-7 computer. Had to download all new software drivers for Win-7 and also got the latest update to Gearbox. I was surprised that they even had an update for Gearbox since they (Line-6) have switched their product to Pod Farm. It is really about the same stuff.

On my computer, the TonePort device works perfectly as near as I can tell. Latency is just not a factor.

But on Clair's computer, it is an issue. There is a definite delay between striking a chord and hearing it through the computer's speakers. That's a real problem is you are recording multiple tracks, one at a time. You have to play the second track in sync with the first one and that is almost impossible to do if what you play is delayed by a fraction of a second. Oh, if you can concentrate hard enough to keep on playing and try to ignore what is playing back from your current instrument (or vocals) then you can come back later and time-shift it to get it all synced up.

But you shouldn't have that problem. Especially with the computer I built for Clair! It will literally run circles around mine. There must be something else in the drivers for Win-7 that isn't present in the Windows XP version.

I've got to get that latency problem solved for him. I plan to GIVE the USB device to Clair and get one of the UX2 devices that has phantom power built in for condenser mics. If I can do that, then I can eliminate the mixing board from my signal path...one less device to rob signal strength or color it in some way not desired!

MikeA