Page 5 of 40 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Member's Sound Bytes and Vids

Stuck on the Border tequila girl's Avatar

Default Re: Member's Sound Bytes and Vids

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    Geek talk, I know!
    Hehehe you carry right on with your Geek Talk, I might not understand a lot of it but find it interesting nonetheless as i'm sure do others on here who are far more 'into' it than me!
    ~Carole~

There is no more new frontier - we have got to make it here

Quote Originally Posted by tequila girl View Post
    Hehehe you carry right on with your Geek Talk, I might not understand a lot of it but find it interesting nonetheless as i'm sure do others on here who are far more 'into' it than me!
    I really love guitars - that's why I spend so much time and money and everything else trying to get more of them, and as I do, continually improve my skills. I started playing because of two reasons. One of them we all know (Joe Walsh, and to an extent Don Felder too) and one is a family friend of mine. This particular family friend was a guitar player and always tried to get me into music and guitar but I never took it seriously. I had a nice Gibson SG and never played it. Well unfortunately in January 2007, Mark had a seizure (he had Epilepsy) while he was driving to work and ran into a fencerow and totaled his car. He is now on a trach, feeding tube, and the works. His face is completely deformed, and can't eat, drink, taste, smell, or clearly talk. It's a very sad situation.

The month after Mark's accident I finally took his advice and listened to some bands, and some CD's my parents have and they had "Hotel California". Listening to that album made me go from a new-found music lover to wanting to be a musician. I started playing in February 2007. I am completely selftaught and am a blues style player, meaning I play by what I feel, and not big into theory or technical style playing. I follow my heroes, especially Joe Walsh. I don't read music (have no desire to and I've tried and can't) and I am more into playing by ear and feel and less by theory and technicality. I'm a blues style player, like Walsh, Felder, and many others that are inspirations. I still think about Mark and I could kick myself for not learning it sooner. We could have jammed together and played. Mark was an acoustic player, loved rock and country and loved to play his guitar. He and Joe are my true guitar heroes.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

THAT's not "geek talk" at all Austin...straight from the heart. And I gotta say, "I Hate You!" Started playing in 2007 and are self-taught! How I envy you the talent you have! You nail those licks with what seems to be no effort. I work for hours to get one lick down and if I don't play it often, I forget it <LOL> And I've been playing off and on for 50 years!

What you did by gracing us with your inventory on video is not only pleasing to us, but also wise on your part. With your investment, that video would be totally priceless should a disaster occur and you had to make an insurance claim. I do hope you have good homeowners insurance! For musical instruments, you won't have much trouble up to around $2,000 but it can get really sticky with equipment exceeding that and obviously, you have several that would reach that value alone!

MikeA

WOW, Austin!

And I'm sorry to hear about your friend. How horrible. That possibility, no matter how little I like to think about it, makes me say a quick prayer every time I get into the car (although of course if I truly thought it would happen I wouldn't drive).

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by MikeA View Post
    THAT's not "geek talk" at all Austin...straight from the heart. And I gotta say, "I Hate You!" Started playing in 2007 and are self-taught! How I envy you the talent you have! You nail those licks with what seems to be no effort. I work for hours to get one lick down and if I don't play it often, I forget it <LOL> And I've been playing off and on for 50 years!

What you did by gracing us with your inventory on video is not only pleasing to us, but also wise on your part. With your investment, that video would be totally priceless should a disaster occur and you had to make an insurance claim. I do hope you have good homeowners insurance! For musical instruments, you won't have much trouble up to around $2,000 but it can get really sticky with equipment exceeding that and obviously, you have several that would reach that value alone!
    Oh yeah. I also have pictures of the guitars, pictures of the serial numbers, pictures of receipts (if I have them), and I write down the years, serial numbers, where I got it, etc just for that reason!! I keep all that information in several places. On the internet in my storage folder, a copy in my guitar room, and a copy in my dad's safe. I'm not taking any chances on anything.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    WOW, Austin!

And I'm sorry to hear about your friend. How horrible. That possibility, no matter how little I like to think about it, makes me say a quick prayer every time I get into the car (although of course if I truly thought it would happen I wouldn't drive).
    Yes it is a very sad situation. What is even more sad is the fact he knew he was not feeling well, because he had turned the car around heading back home. He was on his way to work, must have felt something coming on, turned around to head home, and then it happened. If he would have just stopped the car and just called his wife or someone to come pick him up it never would have happened.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

It just goes to show that no one ever knows how they are influencing another's life. We come into contact with people for a reason, what it is we may never know. Austin, you're so lucky your friend was able to infuence you musically. Now you're doing the same for others, and you probably don't even know it.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Prettymaid View Post
    It just goes to show that no one ever knows how they are influencing another's life. We come into contact with people for a reason, what it is we may never know. Austin, you're so lucky your friend was able to infuence you musically. Now you're doing the same for others, and you probably don't even know it.
    I agree. It really changed my life when I got started into music and then by learning to play it really made a big difference for me.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

I've been working on a bluesy thing inspired by Hendrix and his "And The Wind Cries Mary". That is such a cool intro and played in the key of "F" of all things! Lots of Bb's and Ab's <LOL> Just a ton of "blue notes" that you can bend the heck out of all over the neck.

That intro is a Eb (on the 8th fret) then an E and then an F and you just strike the 4 low bass strings. After a little pause, it continues with the next three chords Cm7, Cm#7 and Dm7 (remember those chords you were describing in Funk #49?...just up a little higher on the neck). On that second set of chords, you are just playing the 5th, 4th, 3rd and 2nd strings.

After that chorded intro, you go a little wild with a simple run that ends with a C chord on the 10th fret but you only play the E string and then the D G and B are arpeggio'd (actually, you shape this as an "F" chord on the 10th fret and fret the E string with your thumb...or at least I do!). You slide that chord down to the 6th fret for a Bb played the same way as the C. Finally, you slide all the way down to the "open F" on the first fret.

You can do a lot with that key and progression.

MikeA

Quote Originally Posted by MikeA View Post
    I've been working on a bluesy thing inspired by Hendrix and his "And The Wind Cries Mary". That is such a cool intro and played in the key of "F" of all things! Lots of Bb's and Ab's <LOL> Just a ton of "blue notes" that you can bend the heck out of all over the neck.

That intro is a Eb (on the 8th fret) then an E and then an F and you just strike the 4 low bass strings. After a little pause, it continues with the next three chords Cm7, Cm#7 and Dm7 (remember those chords you were describing in Funk #49?...just up a little higher on the neck). On that second set of chords, you are just playing the 5th, 4th, 3rd and 2nd strings.

After that chorded intro, you go a little wild with a simple run that ends with a C chord on the 10th fret but you only play the E string and then the D G and B are arpeggio'd (actually, you shape this as an "F" chord on the 10th fret and fret the E string with your thumb...or at least I do!). You slide that chord down to the 6th fret for a Bb played the same way as the C. Finally, you slide all the way down to the "open F" on the first fret.

You can do a lot with that key and progression.
    I'd like to hear that Mike! I'm kind of playing around with Hendrix stuff. I can play Wind Cries Mary (not very well though ). I'm also trying to work on Little Wing. That song is so difficult!