Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021222324 LastLast

Thread: Eagles Tribute Bands

Border Troubadour

Default Re: Eagles Tribute Bands

Quote Originally Posted by Annoying Twit View Post
    In Bridgnorth, we saw posters of a band "Desperado: Heart of the Eagles" advertise their "Frozen Over Eden" (or similar title) tour featuring songs from Hell Freezes Over and Long Road Out Of Eden. However, the tour will be in September and we're already home.

I've had a look at their tour page, and they're not really coming close enough to home for me to go see them. They sound quite good in their online media. http://www.desperadolive.co.uk/#!media/c1x9v
    If they were the same Desperado I saw in Birmingham (UK!) a couple of years ago then it really isn't worth it. They just weren't that good.

Out on the Border

So I'm in Glasgow in the UK and have the option of seeing either Ultimate Eagles or Talon - any suggestion as to which is better?
    Thanks in advance

Border Troubadour

Talon were exceptional when I went to see them. Never seen the Ultimate Eagles mind.

Border Troubadour

So, Friday night, the wife and I ventured out to see "Hotel California," the Eagles tribute band. What follows is merely my opinion(s)....I am NOT a professional.....only a huge Eagles fan.

We had fun in the concert setting. Just like at a real Eagles concert, I was surprised at the age group (majority, including self, had lots of gray hair).

The band? In a nutshell, only adequate. Some songs were done fairly well...others, moderate substitutes. First off, they don't have near the sound system/equipment one would expect of a "pro" band. Even with venue augmentation, it was lacking. I would rate it a couple levels above a good high school party band.

The vocals/harmonizing was surprisingly good, However, vocals were somewhat limited by mixing issues....the lead singer in any song was too dominant with supporting harmonies lacking volume. No one had an Eagles like voice. The Eagles sang in fairly high keys and these guys had adequate pitch, handling several songs fairly well.

Musicianship? Again, just adequate. They did have one really good guitar player, but a barely adequate drummer (no Henley or Crago, that's for sure).

We didn't go expecting note for note dedication to each Eagles tune. All in all, they played fairly accurate renditions with some personalization. One standout difference is, as we all know, the Eagles were criticized for "just standing there." Hotel California moved around too much. I would call it "mugging" for the audience.....a little over the top. On the other hand, if you want a selfie with a band, at stage center during the concert, then this is the band for you.

Again, we had a good time. Would I recommend them? If you're looking for a fun night out because you like Eagles music, and you arrive with reasonable expectations, then I say go enjoy yourself. If you want a note for note, song by song, perfect rendition, go watch your Farewell 1 DVD again.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Thanks for the review, NNTFT. I have seen this band too (I wrote a review earlier in this thread), and I pretty much agree with everything you wrote.

And I've also seen the tribute band, Eaglemania, who I think are better than Hotel California.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Thanks for the info - these bands surely have a lot to live up to. The only tribute band I have seen is Ultimate Eagles. They are pretty good I have to say and they did a love;ly tribute to Glenn at the last show that I was at
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Stuck on the Border

SOmeone is Idaho comments on Eagles tribute bands:
    http://www.idahostatesman.com/entert...113726789.html

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

They are playing in Drogheda in Ireland in February next year. Front Row centre for a total of €50!!
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    SOmeone is Idaho comments on Eagles tribute bands:
    http://www.idahostatesman.com/entert...113726789.html
    I think they raise some interesting points. As an aside, just a couple of weeks ago I went to see the Australian Pink Floyd Show (which I thought was superb) - partly because it's virtually certain that Pink Floyd will not tour or perform again (as with the Eagles, they have lost a key band member). The Aussie Floyd is just one of a few well regarded PF tribute bands. Like the Eagles tribute acts mentioned in the article, the Aussie Floyd have an extremely high regard for the original music and try to recreate it as accurately as possible. Therefore, I wonder if it holds true that there is more interest in tributes to bands that are not active for whatever reason (as well as Floyd, The Beatles and Led Zeppelin spring to my mind) than ones for bands that are still active?