Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagles Tribute Bands

Default Re: Eagles Tribute Bands

It would be super-cool to see a real tribute band where they had some nice eye candy, you know? Finding the cutie-pies out there who sound great and look good! There's a lot of great cover bands but doing a tribute is a lot more work; for example, in Pink Floyd fandom a lot of bands do the tribute thing by recreating the staging of Floyd shows and the costuming (so to speak), but I have yet to see one where they've got a young David Gilmour lookalike, more's the pity.
    ...I could have done so many things, baby
    if I could only stop my mind...

Some guys are born to Rimbaud
    some guys breathe Baudelaire
    some guys just got to go and put their rockets everywhere.

Border Troubadour

Went to see Talon tonight (well, last night now!). They were absolutely immense. I'll do a full write up in the morning but I'll say this now - they are as close to the Eagles as you are ever likely to get. As far as a tribute band can go, they are perfect.

Border Troubadour

Alrighty then, here's my review for Talon.

The venue was the Robin 2 in Bilston, Staffordshire; essentially from what I can gather an old ex-nightclub, with capacity for 700 standing (there was probably 500~ in for Talon), needless to say I was near the front!

Anyway, it all started with Silent Spring as walk-on music followed by Take It Easy, with Silver Dagger as an intro There are seven members altogether, usually one bassist, one drummer, three guitarists, and then a mixture of additional guitars, steel pedal, keyboards and percussion. TIE led into In the City, followed by One of These Nights. They then moved onto a delightful surprise by doing The Last Resort, which they absolutely nailed perfectly. This was followed by three more relative surprises: One Day at a Time, The Girl from Yesterday and Sad Cafe. Boys of Summer followed next (with the crowd in full voice!), then Funk #49. That all in all took about 50 minutes. After a half-hour break they came back on to the tune of the acoustic HFO Hotel Cali prelude, perform doing HC itself - like TLR they got it spot on and the duelling guitars were in fine sound. Next up came I Can't Tell You Why, New York Minute and Peaceful Easy Feeling, then Take It to the Limit in Meisner's original key (E minor I think?), with, like BOS, a fair amount of crowd participation! After that came a piano / steel pedal arrangement of Love Will Keep Us Alive, and fair play to them for making something decent out of what is a horribly slow, boring song (I'm so sorry TBS fans!) Next up came Lyin' Eyes (with the biggest audience participation of the evening), Witchy Woman and Life in the Fast Lane. Heartache Tonight completed the main show. With the encore came Life's Been Good, finished by Desperado. It finished at quarter to midnight, in just enough time for a quick run back to the tram station for the last tram of the night!

Overall, they were absolutely brilliant. The extra members add a new dimension to it, like putting steel pedal onto TIE and PEF, or mandolin into LE. Their four-part harmony is very impressive too. However, there were also a few drawbacks for me. Without wishing to attack individuals personally, their lead guitarist was far, far, far too akin to Joe Walsh (especially) in his performance - it's great to model your playing on someone, but copying little personal things about that artist is a bit off-putting, like shouting 'God you're so nice' (I think) in Funk #49, or calling TITTL 'the credit card song'. Was really frustrating by LBG. They also neglected the whole of OTB and LROOE, as well as only doing one from Desperado, and missing out staples like Tequila Sunrise, BOML and in particular NKIT.

I'd also like to say a special thanks to the bloke, though I'll doubt he'll ever see this, who got quite drunk and spent the break talking to me about heavy metal and how admirable it was that I went to a concert on my own. Thanks man!

Stuck on the Border

Thanks for the review. Some friends told me they'd seen Talon a few years ago and they were good. I've looked at their tour schedule and I'm tempted by Acoustic Talon as there is a wider selection of songs - CSN&Y, James Taylor and such. They're playing in a pub on a Cornish beach in March and I like the idea of that.

Thanks for the review. Sounds like you got quite a few treats - it's cool that they perform some stuff you won't hear at the regular shows. As for repeating the Eagles jokes - c'mon, it's bad enough we have to listen to the REAL Eagles repeat the jokes, we don't want to hear tribute bands repeating them too! lol

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Playing some 'catch-up' here on the board and just read your review, tlr. Thanks for the write-up and glad you enjoyed the show. Unless the band is doing a full-fledged tribute show, I would personally prefer that they just focus on replicating the sound of the band.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Out on the Border

Default Eaglemania

Anyone in the Philly area? There is a GREAT Eagles tribute band out of Northern NJ playing at World Cafe Live on Thursday January 9th. Not to be missed.

See www.eaglemaniaband.com and check out the video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luUM0Voz420
    Last edited by jonweisw; 01-03-2014 at 11:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MaryCalifornia View Post
    I was flipping through the TV channels and came upon an episode of Gene Simmons and his wife getting 11 hours of plastic surgery and I couldn't look away, what a train wreck. Anywaaaayy...the channel was AXS TV, and they have a show called "Greatest Tribute Bands." The third season starts on Jan. 6 and they will be doing the Eagles this season! I don't know which cover/tribute band it will be or the date. I have seen this show once and they actually broadcast it live, which is cool. I will let you know when it will be the Eagles' night!

I just realized I have this channel so I'll check it out. Thanks

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Thanks for the info, jonweisw. Sounds like they are worth checking out for our Philly Borderers.

And MC - I somehow missed your post until Eliza quoted it. I definitely am going to check this out. Gonna go check now to see if I have that channel.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Thanks for the review tlr! I've never seen an Eagles tribute band either, but sounds like they were good! I could also do without the jokes too!

MC, I also have axs.....please let us know when this is on!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten