Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagles Tribute Bands

Out on the Border

Default Re: Eagles Tribute Bands

Eaglemania will be in Leesburg, VA on March 29 at the Tally Ho Theater (which is a cool venue). Definitely worth checking out - they are as close as it gets...

Www.eaglemaniaband.com

Border Troubadour

Off to see the Illegal Eagles in High Wycombe tomorrow high. Should be good, it's my third time I've gone to see them but ages since I've seen them last. There's been a couple of line up changes since I last went as well, will be interesting to see how it all fits together now. Of course, a full report will follow here

Border Troubadour

Should also add I'm looking at another Talon gig in May. They seem to be very prolific tourers to be fair to them, no shortage of chances to see them.

I'm out tonight watching Desert Highway. The place is packed!! Awesome tribute band!

Border Troubadour

Went to see the Illegal Eagles in High Wycombe last week, but have been a bit too snowed under lately to do a proper report for you guys. It will follow soon I promise! I will say this though, their set list is as close to perfection as I think is possible (there were some absolutely cracking inclusions), and one part of it was so well done it's the most emotional I think I've ever been at a gig. For any UK residents on here (or Russians) I strongly recommend parting with 25 quid to see them.

So I saw Desert Highway on Long Island last night.

When I first got there I was waiting for my group to arrive and the bartender suggested I buy a drink before it gets real busy. I asked her what she meant and she said this band draws a crowd where it's wall to wall people! Now I was psyched!! I even talked to the wives and girlfriends of the band members who were surprised that they get such a turnout. I guess their following has been building.

They were really good. The only criticism is they played one too many Don Henley solo songs. I love all Don's solo work but they played 3 and they were an Eagles cover band. Ok one maybe two but that takes away from the vast category of the Eagles catalog.

They will be back around in a month. I would go see them again. Definitely a fun night out but of course couldn't hold a candle to the "real" band.
    Last edited by Elizasong; 03-17-2014 at 08:02 PM.

Glad you both had good experiences!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Border Troubadour

So on Friday 07 March I went to see the Illegal Eagles at the Swan Theatre in High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire. It started at 7.30 in the same way it did when I last saw them a couple of years back - walking on music was Journey of the Sorcerer, followed by Take It Easy with Silver Dagger intro. It was really good to see one of them whip the banjo out for the outro, and even better to see them keep it on afterwards, meaning the next song was going to be something quite unusual. It was indeed: Midnight Flyer! (The first of a good few rare setlist choices that night.) Sadly there was no slide guitar outro (for me one of Glenn's more memorable guitaring contributions), but it was great to hear nonetheless. Next followed what they described as the first song they ever tried 18 years ago - Saturday Night, complete with mandolin. Both it and Tequila Sunrise which followed were excellently done. Next up was Peaceful Easy Feeling, then New Kid in Town, followed by Heart of the Matter. The make-up vocally of the band was quite odd as I seem to recall at least three of them covering Henley's vocals, however the bloke on this one was on top form and really got the emotion of the song correct. Next came Get Over It, One of These Nights and Witchy Woman, all of which were very nicely done. The first half was rounded off by two LROOE numbers: Busy being Fabulous and How Long.

All in all the first half took around an hour, and twenty minutes later they were back for another, opening with Long Road Out of Eden (which they absolutely nailed). At that point all bar two of them (one on keyboard, one stood next to him on electric guitar) left the stage as they did I Dreamed There Was No War. That was probably the highlight of the evening for me, the emotion of the song was spot on and it complements the complexity and emotion of LROOE well. I never thought I'd say this about a tribute band but it's one of very few times in my life I've been at a concert and thought 'this is absolutely perfect' - the lighting, the tempo, even the positions they stood in on stage for it was all faultless. Following that was the band intros as they walked back on stage, after which they played Lying Eyes, Take It to the Limit (to which the audience tried their best to hold the high note at the end to a very admirable level of success) and Desperado (much better suited to being in the middle of the concert as opposed to the final song). This was followed by yet another surprise inclusion - The Heat Is On, complete with saxophone. I have to be honest and say I don't really care for the song, but it certainly worked well in getting the audience animated (in a good way!). That was followed with Boys of Summer, Life in the Fast Lane and Rocky Mountain Way (with talkbox, another very commendable instrument use!). Heartache Tonight followed, and the show ended with Hotel California as an encore. I don't really like it as an ending song but naturally everyone loved it, and the duelling guitars were spot on. Journey of the Sorcerer was their walking off music, not that I heard much of it as I had to leg it for my train.

Overall I really liked them. There were some cracking inclusions there; Midnight Flyer, Saturday Night, IDTWNW and The Heat Is On the main examples. The lack of songs from The Long Run is obviously very highly commendable (); but sadly On the Border was somewhat forgotten again! Obviously some quite big staples are missing: The Long Run, I Can't Tell You Why and Life's Been Good being the first ones that come to mind, but in some ways I prefer to see the lesser songs. On the downside, sometimes their harmony was a bit average, and there seemed to be some very odd lyric changes / mistakes (like using the past tense of some words instead of the present tense etc), but I don't think anyone would really notice and I'm most likely being overly pedantic as I love the actual Eagles so much There were also a couple of technical faults during the performance, but this is probably down to a combination of the theatre's own equipment and the fact it was the first night of the tour.

If anyone on here is in Britain and is thinking of going to see them I would recommend them. You might even get in the selfie they take before The Heat Is On!

Sounds very cool!

Wish some Eagles tribute bands came to my area.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Sounds very cool!

Wish some Eagles tribute bands came to my area.
    I know, Soda.

The closest to us is Branson and I enjoyed their show.