Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Glenn's drawl

Default Glenn's drawl

It was kinda ridiculous in retrospect. When did he stop using it? You hear it a lot on the Live LP, I wonder if he retired it after the first Eagles breakup . . .

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Glenn's drawl

I'm sorry, but I don't understand what you mean by 'ridiculous'.

I didn't really hear him speak at length until he visited Australia in 1988 and he spoke 'normally' if that is what you want to call it.

I've noticed this, too - he seemed to sound almost Texan sometimes in the seventies, but no more. Maybe he lost it in the mid-80s after he'd stopped hanging out with Don Henley and JD Souther, and divorced Texas debutante Janie Beggs.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I think part of it may also be attributed to just the differences in how young men talk as opposed to more mature ones. However, from a female point-of-view, I personally don't think it was ridiculous - I think it was rather endearing. However, I will also say that even today, while he doesn't have a southern accent, he does still have somewhat of a drawl. It's just not quite as pronounced now as it was when he was younger.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

I believe it was more along the lines of a Troubadour country-rock affectation, not offensive or anything like that, just kind of silly.

There's Nothing Silly or Ridiculous about a Southern Accent or Drawl, JMO!

Quote Originally Posted by EagleLady View Post
    There's Nothing Silly or Ridiculous about a Southern Accent or Drawl, JMO!
    what if you're from Detroit?

We're adaptable creatures and people tend to pick up things from the people they spend a lot of time with...like speech patterns. I'm guilty of it myself. I spent a few years living in the South and within a few short months I was speaking with the same 'drawl' I was exposed to in my daily life. Didn't realize it until I was on a visit home and it was pointed out to me. To this day if I spend more than five minutes talking to someone from the south, I slide back into that speech pattern unconsciously. It doesn't matter what you call it -- drawl, accent, whatever -- every region of the U.S. has a distinct speech pattern. I've become somewhat adept at identifying where someone is from by their speech...New York, New England, the South (and there are different degrees of 'southern drawl' in different parts of the South), Minnesota, Nebraska, California...there are indicators in the way certain letters and words are pronounced.

Just for the record, "home" is about an hour or so from Detroit! We native Midwesterners don't think WE have an accent. Fact of the matter is our speech patters sound funny to folks in OTHER parts of the country.

Here on the Border everyone speaks with the same drawl: EAGLES!

Hey, y'all want drawl, I got so much cottin in my speech that I was once offered a deal as spokes person for Q-Tips! Ain't no Texas slur neither...pure Arkansas!

LOL

I really don't notice it much until I listen to something I've recorded and then it blares out so pronounced that even I do a double take. I don't think you can ever take the South out of a southerner. Maybe moderate it a bit, but I guess Kansas isn't far enough north to be much of an influence.

MikeA

Quote Originally Posted by Victim of Love View Post
    We're adaptable creatures and people tend to pick up things from the people they spend a lot of time with...like speech patterns. I'm guilty of it myself.
    Same here. I grew up in Texas but I haven't lived there for eight years. I can "turn on" the accent when I want, but my normal speaking voice has hardly any trace of it. There are a few idiomatic exceptions - I still find myself saying "itn't" instead of "isn't" sometimes, "dutn't" instead of "doesn't" on occasion, and that long "a" will always have a Texan edge unless I make a conscious effort to soften it - but overall one wouldn't be able to tell I was from Texas just by listening to me. (I also make sure never to say "ain't," "y'all," or "fixin' to.") Of course, in agitation I will still holler "SHOOT!" and "DANG IT!" with a thick Texas accent. lol

When I go back to visit the family for the holidays, though, after a few days I fall into the old speech patterns again. I imagine the same is true for Glenn.

You echo what you hear. Glenn was surrounded by Texans in the country rock scene, so he started talkin' like 'em.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten