Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Glenn's drawl

Out on the Border

Default Re: Glenn's drawl

Quote Originally Posted by buffyfan145 View Post
    a lot of us are actually descendants of people who were originally from the Appalachian Mountain states. My Mother's side of the family is originally from West Virginia and Virginia and I grew up around older members of my family having their Southern accents still. This is common around our area as in the 40s, 50s, and 60s people from those states moved here to work in the auto plants, factories, construction, and other jobs to support their families.
    I've wondered what Glenn's background was. It seems like a lot of people in Detroit are slavic (names ending in ich, k, or ski).

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

I found a better article on Wikipedia talking about the Appalachian migration and it actually went back father than I expected. People from Kentucky, West Virginia, Virginia, Tennessee, and the Carolinas all started migrating to Ohio, Detroit, and Indianapolis after WWI but the big migration happened after WWII and the depression as the auto industry (Detroit) and steel & construction industry (here in Ohio) got big. It's the reason my maternal grandparents moved here. It's also how "hillbilly" became a slang term because they moved to these areas and brought their families, keeping the accents and culture from "the hills". Royal Oak seems to have been a suburb for the auto workers like Glenn's dad so Glenn would've grew up around that culture no matter if his parents were a part of it or not. Glenn's accent sounds like my family members and how most of us in Ohio, Detroit, and Indiana talk.

As for Glenn's background I know I've read on here he was part Irish, Scottish, and French-Canadian, and the first two are a huge part of the Appalachian ancestry too. It's why my Mom always jokes that music and singing runs in our family because of the Celtic ancestry and being from "the hills".
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Thanks for the background info, buffy. I don't ever reading that Glenn was part French-Canadian, but my memory seems to be failing me quite a bit lately.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

You're welcome Dreamer. I think I read it here but I know I saw it somewhere as I noticed the ancestry almost matched mine (I'm also part Italian).
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    Thanks for the background info, buffy. I don't ever reading that Glenn was part French-Canadian, but my memory seems to be failing me quite a bit lately.
    I thought that I had heard him say in an interview that he was part French, not French-Canadian. Being Canadian my self I think I would have been delighted if he had some Canadian ancestry I probably would have remembered that, poor as my memory is.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennLover View Post
    I thought that I had heard him say in an interview that he was part French, not French-Canadian. Being Canadian my self I think I would have been delighted if he had some Canadian ancestry I probably would have remembered that, poor as my memory is.
    ..I agree..I think I would've picked up on that too..

Im from Jersey and find it rediculous that most of you dont say "DAWG" like we do and instead you guys say "DAHG" same for CAWFEE....Not CAHFEE!

What the hell is a Dahg!! Its Dawg!

Quote Originally Posted by buffyfan145 View Post
    You're welcome Dreamer. I think I read it here but I know I saw it somewhere as I noticed the ancestry almost matched mine (I'm also part Italian).
    Is this where you saw it, bf145? http://ethnicelebs.com/glenn-frey

SPOILER ALERT - the article mentions Glenn's birth name although I don't know the reliability of this site.
    Last edited by GlennLover; 03-01-2016 at 07:12 AM.

Stuck on the Border

The genealogy looks plausible - I assume it's quite straightforward for someone who knows their way round public records to research Glenn's family tree given the amount of information available. One of the sources cited was https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/...ead.php?t=4239
    (which is probably where this discussion belongs).

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    One of the sources cited was https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/...ead.php?t=4239
    (which is probably where this discussion belongs).
    LOL, I noticed that. This site has often been named as a reference or "official" authority, thanks to Soda.

I agree that this discussion should be moved.