Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Glenn's drawl

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Default Re: Glenn's drawl

Soda and VOL, I certainly agree. I have a friend that grew up in Battlecreek Michigan and whenever she would come down here to visit, I marveled at her northern/nasal accent. Then when she was around 30 she moved to South Carolina and you would declare that she grew up there from the southern drawl that she used. It was quite funny to listen to her. And such a shock. You adapt to your environment, I guess.

People think I have a southern accent, but I don't hear any!
    Last edited by Brooke; 11-19-2010 at 02:50 PM.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Border Desperado GettheLeadonOut!!'s Avatar

Glenn's fake drawl always bothered me because it always struck me as pure affectation. And I don't buy that by hanging out with the a bunch of L.A. country rockers at the Troubadour, a Detroit boy like Glenn would develop such a pronounced southern drawl. Henley and JD's "accent" was never nearly as pronounced, Bernie had (and still has) his San Diego surfer twang as does LA native Jackson Browne to an extent and Randy's midwestern accent always seemed slight as well.

At any rate, I'm glad he finally ditched it.
    High up on his own, the Eagle flies alone and he is free...

Stuck on the Border

I would only say that the introduction to The Long Run on Eagles Live : 'we got our buddy Phil Kenzie up here to help us do, uh, our tribute to Memphis, Tennessee' doesn't sound like he is 'drawling'. On the other hand, before Take It Easy when he says 'here's a song about to DR-AAAH -VE home' you could say that is a drawl. But I am not American so I wouldn't know. To me he just sounds like a rock star.

I also have a couple of earlier examples of him speaking where I would say he isn't drawling (in particular an introduction to Ol '55 from 1975 and an introduction to Roy Orbison's Dream Baby from circa 1972).

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I have to say I never even noticed it before.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

When engaged in regular conversation, Glenn still has what I call a Midwestern drawl. It’s not always apparent, but it’s definitely there at times. It’s particularly noticeable in his enunciation of certain words and when he ends a sentence. A few examples that come to mind off the top of my head are the way he sometimes pronounces ‘here’, ‘there’, ‘under”, and ‘tomorrow’. If you are turned off by his drawl, then that’s fair enough. But, I can tell you with certainty that it hasn’t completely disappeared and it doesn’t seem fake to me – it’s just the way he talks.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

I have to agree with Brooke. I have never noticed it before either. Maybe I need to listen a little harder next time I'm watching a concert dvd. I certainly didn't notice anything when I saw the Eagles in concert over the past couple years.

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

I'm the same. I only have to talk to someone to pick up their accent. It apparently is related to having a 'musical ear', which people say I have and which Glenn obviously DOES have.

I love Glenn 's accent on whatever cd or dvd I hear him speaking on. I'd just love to hear more of it.....
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

GAL....you may well have something there with the "musical ear". I'd never thought about that.

MikeA

Out on the Border

I thought I would bump this forum and say that it wasn't really a "faux Texan" drawl as it was an upper midwest accent, which is common in the great lakes area. It has a twang to it which kind of makes it sound similar to a Texas dialect.

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

As someone from Ohio I totally agree with this that Mid-Western accents actually do have slight Southern twang. Those of us in some of the Mid-Western states (Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, etc) actually do pronounce some words as they do in the Southern states but this is because a lot of us are actually descendants of people who were originally from the Appalachian Mountain states. My Mother's side of the family is originally from West Virginia and Virginia and I grew up around older members of my family having their Southern accents still. This is common around our area as in the 40s, 50s, and 60s people from those states moved here to work in the auto plants, factories, construction, and other jobs to support their families.

So a lot of us talk with a slight twang depending on if that was the case in your family or just from that being the local accent. My Dad's side is from New England but even my Dad developed the slight Mid-Western twang because he's lived here since he was a little boy. I'll sometimes accidently slip into a Southern twang especially if I get excited about something. LOL I even hear it slightly when actress Kristen Bell talks as she's also from the Royal Oak area as Glenn.

He might have added to it in the 70s being around Don, JD, and others but there is a twang in the Mid-West too.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."