Page 41 of 68 FirstFirst ... 3137383940414243444551 ... LastLast

Thread: The Border Book Club

Stuck on the Border Tiffanny Twisted's Avatar

Default Re: The Border Book Club

yep trying to catch up on my reading here too

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Just finished an autobiography. My Last Fight: The True Story of a Hockey Rock Star. It's the story of Darren McCarty who played most of his career with the Detroit Red Wings. It was an interesting book. I had heard of a band called The Grinders, never knew that one of them was a hockey player. Like most of these books, it talks about the rise of a career, riding the highs of the career, and the eventual end of the career. All of the things that go with it, the people who use you for money, the drug and alcohol addictions, the women who pathetically do and say anything in order to get into a bed with a hockey player. The broken marriages, the infidelities, the distance with the children. The difference is this guy hasn't broken away from all his demons and admits it. He's still a work in progress.

He worked for Versus for a while and that's where I remember him from, and he lost his job when NBC took them over. All I can say is...they got rid of McCarty and kept Mike Milbury. Why?? I feel another letter to NBC Sports coming on. I swear they keep Milbury on just to set me off. McCarty never said any of that in his book, for all I know he likes Milbury. But, that's the thought that was in my head as I finished the book.

I was surprised our guys got a very small mention. The band The Grinders had broken up and then reunited, like the Eagles. Hmm...not exactly, but the Grinders getting back together was that important to him personally, so I'll give him a pass on that one.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Stuck on the Border Grey Sadler's Avatar

Last 3 books I read:
    Simple Dreams, Linda Ronstadt
    No Regrets, Ace Frehley (Ack!!)
    Rosalind Franklin and DNA, a science biography

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

I still keep meaning to get Linda's book! I don't want it on Kindle, I want the 'real' thing.

You didn't like No Regrets?
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Stuck on the Border Grey Sadler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    I still keep meaning to get Linda's book! I don't want it on Kindle, I want the 'real' thing.

You didn't like No Regrets?
    Oh no, it was pretty good...but when I read autobiographies, if I know what the author's voice sounds like, that's how I hear it read. Ace went around making that ACK noise very frequently during the 70s (and later--it is very prominent in the KISS Meets the Phantom movie)...he is, not surprisingly, a little scathing when he refers to Gene & Paul at times...but a good read!

Stuck on the Border Tiffanny Twisted's Avatar

I read lindas book but it is on my nook

I read lisa scottoline's latest and it was a quick read very good. "Keep Quiet"

now I am on to my "beach read" type books from elin hildenbrant and Nancy Thayer

I just finished reading the Flowers in the Attic series...didn't realize it was a series when I read the first one...so I had to read the other four!!!...had always heard of this book but had never read it before...it was really good but man that family was so screwed up!!! next up...I think...Pride and Prejudice...

Sounds funny, but I've been re-reading and blocking through (setting into disparate blocks of lines) stanzaic segments of John Keats' "Endymion," "Hyperion," and "The Fall of Hyperion." I'm piecing at the thematic unifying devices from the first theme through the three books, and I'm thinking about other types of syntactical elements.

Seems less funny: I think I might look at the new "Washington's Spies."
    Last edited by Lisa; 06-23-2014 at 01:04 PM. Reason: punctuation typo, semicololn for apostrophe--reason--the type is ultra small

Interesting! I'm teaching Keats in my English Literature II course. Do you want to share some of your insights?

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

I'll have too look at my notes. I wrote a little outline with a few thoughts on Keats, but I don't have it with me--the outline has a few of my own ideas about the two lyric Romantic Poets, who are traditionally John Keats and Percy Bysshe Shelley.

I've noticed a number of couplets organized by in "Endymion" that seem intended for muse, Fanny.

Theme one of "Endymion," "A thing of beauty is a joy forever,...--to period is derived from the (King James) Bible's psalms, paraphrased and newly worded. Its exposition draws from mostly John Milton and William Shakespeare to paint the words. Most of the big blocks of writing are derived from Milton's "Paradise Lost." The changes in usage into the triplet and sextuplet within the stanza often are segments that paraphrase and rewrite ideas and lines from William Shakespeare.

Endymion is a lesser god, a minor figure out of the Greek myths. He is literal in his prior existence. Ditto; Hyperion; who is also a minor god in the Greek pantheon.

I hope this is helpful. I'll think about this.

For fun Inspiration: PBShelley, Prometheus Unbound: Act III, Scene iv, line 190--The Spirit of the Hour: "The painted veil, by those who were, called life," (Idea of life as we know it veiling the platonic ideal of the concrete world around us.)
    Last edited by Lisa; 06-24-2014 at 09:49 PM.