Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
I read all the time for my job, but rarely read what is outside of my job requirements because that consumes so much time. I've decided to try and change that. I appreciate the recommendations for "lighter reading."
Same here, as a student who's being pushed harder than most of her classmates. (I have two professors preparing me for grad school). When you have 8-15 textbooks, 2-5 dozen books for papers, and numerous articles to read per semester, there is no such thing as "lighter reading." While I don't have to read the books cover-to-cover (except the text books) I still have to know the general argument and the information used to back it up, which rarely can be found in the introduction or conclusion. I typically have to read about 500 pages a week minimum (I know that number will increase substantially over the coming years). Reading for academic purposes requires allot more focus and time (thank God for indexes). Plus, in history, I need to be able to place the book within the historiographical timeline of the topic. By the time I call it quits for a day, I have no desire to open another book and make me eyes and brain work more (My brain is usually fried, to make a bad pun). Unlike many students, who are just there to get a degree and put in minimal effort, I always do the required readings. (It's amazing to me how many students don't even do that on a regular basis). I know what I have to do to make it further in academia, so pleasure reading and sometimes, leisure, in general, become nonexistent. It's a trade-off though, because, hopefully, in 5-8 years, I'll have a job that'll let me have a few spare hours a week for such pleasures.