Page 20 of 68 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast

Thread: The Border Book Club

Stuck on the Border Tiffanny Twisted's Avatar

Smile Re: The Border Book Club

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyBFan View Post
    Anyone here read or reading the Fifty Shades Of Grey trilogy? I am in the middle of book 1 and all I can say is HOT!!!!

I also received my copy of My Cross To Bear by Gregg Allman. Don't know when I'll get to it but it looks really good.

Oh , yeah, My Cross to bear is on my list too.

I did read Don Felders book. ANd I love "Take It to the LImit"(the book)

Default Re: The Border Book Club

I did read 50 Shades of Grey but I will not be reading the rest of the trilogy. I did not like these characters. I found this character Ana to be totally unrealistic, I mean a virgin, at 22 that had made it all through college without even having an Email address?? OMG. Oh & she NEVER masturbated? really? Then she has 3 orgasms her first time?

Oh & Christian Grey is the kind of arrogant SOB that I could not stomach. If any man ever presented me with a "contract" of our sex life, I would throw it in his face before I spit at him! I don't care how rich or handsome he was. Yeah, I know he has "issues" but I really don't care what they are. The whole book just had me annoyed that Ana put up with this guys crap just because he was rich & good looking! This book sets the woman's lib movement back 60 years. I know it's supposed to be "love story" but to me it was just a bunch of 5 minute sex acts, a lot of them! LOL

I would like to say a good word about a book that I HIGHLY recommend. It's called, "Miss O'Dell: My Hard Days & Long Nights with the Beatles, the Stones, Bob Dylan, Eric Clapton, & the Women They Loved" BY CHRIS O'DELL.

This was a real page turner, from a young girl who was there from the beginning, working at Apple Records for the Beatles, became George & Patti Harrison's assistant & lived with them at Friar Park, toured with the Stones, slept with several rock stars including a Beatle. She wasn't famous, not even almost famous, but she was along for the ride of a lifetime. She had the job we all wished we had!!!! A fantastic read & highly recommended for any rock fangirl!!
    A MUST!

Glad to hear from you, WE! I've never heard of that series, but it must be good.

TT, so you and JAHH are both reading those books, eh? hmmm

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

I haven't read Fifty Shades of Grey and I don't really have much desire to read it. I might succumb eventually just so that I know what everyone's talking about but it doesn't really appeal to me... I have no problem with hotness but I'm not keen on amateurish or repetitive writing. I keep hearing that it's quite badly written. Guess I can't judge for myself till I've read it!

I've been reading a lot of children's literature in preparation for my teaching course, which I'm really enjoying! I've revisited old favourites like Lewis Carroll and Roald Dahl, as well as newer popular kids' books like Horrid Henry. Michael Morpurgo is a wonderful author; I'm really enjoying his children's stories. I read one called 'The Last Wolf', which is a historical story about a boy and his wolf emigrating from Scotland to America. It's really enchanting and earthy.

Back to the adult stuff, I have just finished Karin Fossum's 'The Water's Edge', which was a well-written crime novel set in Norway. It wasn't a formulaic thriller - it was bleak and subtle and dealt a lot with characters and emotions and prejudices. It's a bit harrowing because the subject matter is largely about paedophilia (not something that's particularly obvious when you first pick it up) but, as I said, it's beautifully written and deals with different issues in an interesting way. It has more feeling and depth than most crime or police procedural novels.

I have quite a few books on loan from the library at the moment, so I'm just deciding what to read next!

you better put it all behind you, baby, 'cause life goes on
    you keep carrying that anger, it'll eat you up inside--

I borrowed the first Fifty Shades of Grey after hearing the hype. I agree that it is poorly written and repetetive - so much so that although I was curious how the trilogy ends, I was not interested in reading the other two books. When I returned the first book to my friend I smiled and said, "I'm done", and she happily went on and on about how the rest of the trilogy went. So I got to find out how it ends without having to read any more of it!
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    Welcome back We! I don't know those books, but I have been reading The Kent Family Chronicles by John Jakes. They are really good and there are 8 or 9 volumes that get thicker as you go. I'm on #4. I'm a slow reader and just read when I have time, so it takes me a while. And it must be very, very good for me to miss my time here! lol
    I read those back in high school and couldn't put them down. The entire series made the rounds of all the voracious readers in my family. I've always been big on historical fiction.

So far, the Outlander series reminds me a lot of the Kent series, except that there's a time travel twist and they're set primarily in Scotland.

I need to read the Outlander series. Some of my friends are obsessed with it!

you better put it all behind you, baby, 'cause life goes on
    you keep carrying that anger, it'll eat you up inside--

It sort of irks me that everything has become a series now. Sometimes I want the beginning, middle and end all to be within the pages of a single book!
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Stuck on the Border Tiffanny Twisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Prettymaid View Post
    It sort of irks me that everything has become a series now. Sometimes I want the beginning, middle and end all to be within the pages of a single book!
    Yep, I agree.
    That being said, I had to strart book two in the grey trilogy to find out what happens to them as a couple. At 600am I wasnt too pleased that the first book left you hanging and you had to go to the second book to find out what happened.
    Guess its just another way of selling more books.
    I vote for begining middle and end in one book. lol

tt