Page 3 of 68 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Thread: The Border Book Club

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower
    Steinbeck's The Grapes Of Wrath. It's wonderful. This is the first time I've read it in years and I had forgotten how raw & powerful it is.

Also Anthony Burgess' Earthly Powers, a semi-fictional romp through the 20th century starring a writer based on Somerset Maugham & the eventual Pope John XXIII. Not for everyone but if you have a strong stomach & you like a good yarn try it.
    I love The Grapes of Wrath. Steinbeck is one of my all-time favorite authors.
    I'll have to check this Earthly Powers out from the library, sounds really interesting.
    How can love survive in such a graceless age?

I've only just discovered John Grisham.........I had quite a few of his books given to me whilst I was in hospital so I'm working my way through them.

I've already read "A Painted House" and I thoroughly enjoyed the narration - quite different to anything else I can remember reading.
    I want total sensory deprivation and back-up drugs :O)

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I've also read several John Grisham books including The Chamber and have enjoyed them all.

I think I will have to give The Grapes of Wrath a try due to your recommendations!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

I tend to read non-fiction, such as travel and biographies, but I love Terry Pratchett, and recently read 'The Wee Free Men', which is actually aimed at the teenage market. I've tended to read most of the books my boys have read, such as the Harry Potter series, the Northern Lights trilogy by Philip Pullman, the Wind Singer trilogy by William Nicholson, and possibly one of the best books ever 'Holes' by Louis Sachar.

www.donfelderonline.com
    ~~~~~
    This way to happiness...

I'm currently reading The Increment by Chris Ryan. A couple of days ago I read Cold Moon by Jeffrey Deaver, followed by The Lust Lizard of Melancholy Cove by Christopher Moore

Recently I've read The Name of The Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (not published over here until Sept), and The Book With No Name by Anonymous (gloriously violent and funny).
    You can spend all your time making money
    You can spend all your love making time
    If it all fell to pieces tomorrow
    Could you still be mine

Stuck on the Border

I've been reading books by an author I had never heard of until out of boredom on a rainy afternoon, I grabbed one of her books off the shelf of a department store a few months ago. Her name is Lisa Jackson and she writes really good murder mysteries (which I love). Well, they're a murder mystery one minute and then the next minute the main characters always seem to be ripping each other's clothes off and she goes into great detail about their...ummm...activities. It sort of reminds me of the favorite chapter I've memorized from a certain book I think a few of us own. (I think Lisa Jackson may be a pseudonym for Linda the Hooker ).

Anyway, I believe Ms. Jackson is also an Eagles fan since she's mentioned them in two of her books I've read so far. The first mention is in a book called "Whispers" where she's setting the scene of a murder that happened in the 70's and she talks about how she can hear her next door neighbor is playing "Hotel California" on their stereo. The book I'm reading now tells how the main character is getting ready for a relaxing bath and decides to put her favorite Eagles' CD on before getting into the tub. Cool!

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I may have to check out Ms. Jackson! At least she has good taste in music!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

I like the sound of her books, Molly! We have a new library opening soon, and I'm looking forward to getting back to reading more. The old library was ok but a nightmare to park. The boys and I bought the latest and last Harry Potter today. Phil has already grabbed it. I found Bill Bryson's autobiography yesterday, so that's my current reading.l

www.donfelderonline.com
    ~~~~~
    This way to happiness...

Thanks for the rec, Molly. I love romance/suspense novels, and if the Eagles are mentioned - what more could you want? I'll look her up. Do you have a particular favorite of hers that you'd recommend?

And I too noticed that the hooker book chapter was written in romance-novel fashion. Made it much better for me, lol.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by SodaScouts
    And I too noticed that the hooker book chapter was written in romance-novel fashion. Made it much better for me, lol.
    I'm working my way through all of them. She's a prolific writer so there's a lot to work through!

"Whispers" and "Most Likely to Die" are the 2 where I've found the Eagle's references. While reading one called "Final Scream", I found myself doing the old, "Whew, is it getting hot in here?" Actually, all of them are good, if not a bit predictable when you get used to the author's style of storytelling.

I've now been getting my copies (used paperbacks) off of Amazon for 99 cents.

If anyone is a Stephan King fan, his son has recently released his first novel. His name is Joe Hill (Joe Hillman King) and the book is called "Heart-Shaped Box". It's a rock and roll horror story! (What else would you expect from Stephan King's kid?)

The main character is an aging heavy metal rock star who's dark persona has his fans sending him goulish memorabilia. After many years, he has a really macabre collection. Someone e-mails him that that there is a ghost up for auction on e-bay. When his assistant tells him about it-he bids on it without a second thought. Turns out, he's bought himself one pi$$ed off ghost!

It's a very clever story. Lots of music and rock and roll references. Sorry, no Eagles.