Page 51 of 68 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561 ... LastLast

Thread: The Border Book Club

Border Troubadour

Default Re: The Border Book Club

Quote Originally Posted by Lacken101 View Post
    At the moment, I'm reading about Regulatory Affairs in the Pharmaceutical industry for an exam tomorrow - light reading
    Sounds like fun - NOT! Good luck tomorrow
    ...Well it sure makes you wonder the things that some people will say. They can see black and white but they don't seem to notice the grey...

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Blecch!! That would put me in a stupor, Lacken

Kim, Sir Isaac Newton was kind of like Brian May of Queen (that's how I picture him anyway - a brilliant, gentle chap). I think Newton was more eccentric, what with all the obsessing over the Bible and alchemy.

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Good luck with the exam tomorrow, Lacken.

Marci, I've heard of his eccentricity. I remember my physical science teachers teaching his laws of motion (which I have now forgotten), and they briefly talked about how things were back then, and that he had to do some of his work in secret.
    Last edited by AlreadyGone95; 03-29-2016 at 06:15 PM.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

I just posted in Glenn's section but I just finished the debut novel by one of my friends Marie Cauley, "Never Forgotten You", and it was so great!!! Was a great read for me too as I pictured Glenn as her main character Chris. The story takes place in the late 90s about Karen, an early 30s woman who moves out to California for work but one day luckily meets her old teen idol Chris Lassiter who is back restarting his solo career in his early 40s. Chris was the lead singer/guitarist and actor in a band in the 70s and Karen loved him since she was 11 and always thought they'd meet. Just turns out 20 years later they would and they quickly fall in love.

Chris reminded me of Glenn so much with his personality, the things he went through in the 70s and 80s, the way Marie describes his smile, and his sense of humor on & off stage. Some of the supporting characters reminded me of Don (Chris' best friend and band mate since the 70s), Randy (his bass player whose name has the initials RM), and one of Chris' priests name is Father Timothy. There were lots of twists too and it is also a very spiritual novel as well, which I personally loved. Both characters have so much they went through and are trying to change, and I loved their love story.

It's the first of a series too Marie's writing and I can't wait to read the 2nd book!!! I met Marie through the "Jersey Boys" fandom and we both bonded over being writers as well and I helped her somewhat as I also self-published my novels too. I told her about the Glenn similarities I saw and she thought that was awesome. She based Chris off of a few teen idols of hers from 70s too.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Quote Originally Posted by Lacken101 View Post
    At the moment, I'm reading about Regulatory Affairs in the Pharmaceutical industry for an exam tomorrow - light reading
    Good luck in the exam. I hope it goes well for you.

Newton was a brilliant scientist, he certainly could be a bit eccentric but his work remains very important in maths and physics (and related fields) - for example, his laws of motion are very satisfactory and still form the basis for classical mechanics over three centuries after they were originally proposed. I can see a bit of the 'eccentric scientist' in Brian May, although I also definitely see it in Jimmy Page (maybe it's the white hair?)

I was being *slightly* facetious in comparing Sir Isaac Newton with Brian May - one discovered gravity and invented calculus (the fiend), the other plays a mean guitar and has a doctorate in astronomy. The main similarity is their flowing, curly locks.

I agree there's a hint of the mad professor about Jimmy - even before he had the white hair.

Buffy, your friend's book sounds very interesting. I'm going to look for it on Amazon.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    I was being *slightly* facetious in comparing Sir Isaac Newton with Brian May - one discovered gravity and invented calculus (the fiend), the other plays a mean guitar and has a doctorate in astronomy. The main similarity is their flowing, curly locks.

I agree there's a hint of the mad professor about Jimmy - even before he had the white hair.

Buffy, your friend's book sounds very interesting. I'm going to look for it on Amazon.
    Newton wore a wig, of course....

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Has anyone read any of Stephen Fry's(British actor/Comedian/author) books? I checked of his books, Revenge, out of the library, and it's next on "to read" list once I get done with the Newton book. (Revenge is the US name. Elsewhere, it's The Stars' Tennis Balls.). It's a modern day version of The Count of Monte Cristo (which I've never read.) Just curious what others think of his books, as I'm not familiar with him too much, except as Mycroft in Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows.
    Last edited by AlreadyGone95; 03-31-2016 at 03:13 AM. Reason: incorrect title
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Out on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by buffyfan145 View Post
    I just posted in Glenn's section but I just finished the debut novel by one of my friends Marie Cauley, "Never Forgotten You", and it was so great!!! Was a great read for me too as I pictured Glenn as her main character Chris. The story takes place in the late 90s about Karen, an early 30s woman who moves out to California for work but one day luckily meets her old teen idol Chris Lassiter who is back restarting his solo career in his early 40s. Chris was the lead singer/guitarist and actor in a band in the 70s and Karen loved him since she was 11 and always thought they'd meet. Just turns out 20 years later they would and they quickly fall in love.

Chris reminded me of Glenn so much with his personality, the things he went through in the 70s and 80s, the way Marie describes his smile, and his sense of humor on & off stage. Some of the supporting characters reminded me of Don (Chris' best friend and band mate since the 70s), Randy (his bass player whose name has the initials RM), and one of Chris' priests name is Father Timothy. There were lots of twists too and it is also a very spiritual novel as well, which I personally loved. Both characters have so much they went through and are trying to change, and I loved their love story.

It's the first of a series too Marie's writing and I can't wait to read the 2nd book!!! I met Marie through the "Jersey Boys" fandom and we both bonded over being writers as well and I helped her somewhat as I also self-published my novels too. I told her about the Glenn similarities I saw and she thought that was awesome. She based Chris off of a few teen idols of hers from 70s too.
    That sound like my type of book Buffy - I just ordered it on Booktopia and cannot wait to read it.

Quote Originally Posted by AlreadyGone95 View Post
    Has anyone read any of Stephen Fry's(British actor/Comedian/author) books? I checked of his books, Revenge, out of the library, and it's next on "to read" list once I get done with the Newton book. (Revenge is the US name. Elsewhere, it's The Stars' Tennis Balls.). It's a modern day version of The Count of Monte Cristo (which I've never read.) Just curious what others think of his books, as I'm not familiar with him too much, except as Mycroft in Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows.
    I read a book of his years ago, I think it was The Liar. It was clever and mildly amusing, but the tone got wearisome after awhile. It also left a bad taste that he was flippant about one character (much older) using a 12-year old boy for sex.