Page 59 of 68 FirstFirst ... 949555657585960616263 ... LastLast

Thread: The Border Book Club

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Default Re: The Border Book Club

Just curious, is anyone going to read or is reading the new Harry Potter book, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child? I'm debating on whether to see if my library has it or to buy the book.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Quote Originally Posted by AlreadyGone95 View Post
    Just curious, is anyone going to read or is reading the new Harry Potter book, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child? I'm debating on whether to see if my library has it or to buy the book.
    My daughter is currently read this AG, I can let you know if she approves. My kids are huge Potter fans.

So Put Me On A Highway And Show Me A Sign
    And Take It To The Limit One More Time..............

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

I'll be getting it from the library within the next couple days as I had reserved it. I do have some friends who've already read it and most liked it. Some were disappointed it's actually the play's script but most of us knew that months ago. I'm excited to know what happens and see the characters as adults and their kids. Entertainment Weekly gave the script & actual play an A grade and most of the critics seems to be really loving it.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

I didn't realize that Irving Azoff is still managing Steely Dan and Donald Fagen when he's solo. The latter part of Fagen's book is a 2012 tour diary, when he was on the road with Michael McDonald and Boz Scaggs. It is laugh-out-loud funny, with Fagen describing the "leprechaun-sized" Azoff as traveling everywhere with imposing bodyguards, and "owning a piece in everything that remains of the music industry" that continuously spits money back at him.

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

While I've been away on holiday I've been reading a book called Football Against The Enemy. It was written in the mid-1990s, it describes the author's personal journey across the world and talking to footballing (and non-footballing) people, and the role that football has played in each society.

There are many fascinating stories which range from the moving and shocking (such as one East German man's determination to follow the West German side Hertha Berlin from the other side of the wall) to moments of comedy (for instance, the Senegal national team missed out on the 1990 World Cup through sheer incompetence, by failing to submit their entry). The timing makes it especially interesting in the chapters on the former Soviet states, which had only recently gained independence, and immediately post-apartheid South Africa. It is a riveting read and I would recommend it to anyone with so much as a passing interest in association football. Even my mum, whose interest in the game is casual at best, really enjoyed reading the chapter about the rivalry between the Dutch and German national teams.

Reading Cross Creek by Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings for the second time. Love this book, the farm it is based on is nearby. A friend and I toured it last week so thats why I am re reading.

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

My fourth novel "Angel Eyes" is finally out!!! It's on Amazon here in both paperback & Kindle formats and it's also available in paperback and ePub versions on other sites including where I self-published on Lulu. I'm really excited about this one as it took me over two years to write & finish this and it's my first romantic-thriller novel. I actually got the idea for it two years ago after watching the film version of "Jersey Boys", having read Shakespeare's "Much Ado About Nothing", and hearing Eric Church's song "Springsteen" all around the same time.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

Quote Originally Posted by LovinGlennGirl View Post
    Reading Cross Creek by Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings for the second time. Love this book, the farm it is based on is nearby. A friend and I toured it last week so thats why I am re reading.
    Woah! You're lucky to live in such a beautiful place. I read the book years ago and it made me want to be a farmer for awhile Finally toured the house a few years ago.

Have you ever seen the movie starring Mary Steenburgen?

Quote Originally Posted by buffyfan145 View Post
    My fourth novel "Angel Eyes" is finally out!!! It's on Amazon here in both paperback & Kindle formats and it's also available in paperback and ePub versions on other sites including where I self-published on Lulu. I'm really excited about this one as it took me over two years to write & finish this and it's my first romantic-thriller novel. I actually got the idea for it two years ago after watching the film version of "Jersey Boys", having read Shakespeare's "Much Ado About Nothing", and hearing Eric Church's song "Springsteen" all around the same time.
    Congratulations, Buffy!

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Good for you, Buffy! I hope it does well!

I'm currently reading the Sheila Weller book, Girls Like Us. I really like Carole King and Carly Simon's music, not too thrilled about Joni Mitchell's. Good stories so far. Some of you have already read it, I think.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten