Page 68 of 68 FirstFirst ... 18586465666768

Thread: The Border Book Club

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Default Re: The Border Book Club

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    I read all the time for my job, but rarely read what is outside of my job requirements because that consumes so much time. I've decided to try and change that. I appreciate the recommendations for "lighter reading."
    Same here, as a student who's being pushed harder than most of her classmates. (I have two professors preparing me for grad school). When you have 8-15 textbooks, 2-5 dozen books for papers, and numerous articles to read per semester, there is no such thing as "lighter reading." While I don't have to read the books cover-to-cover (except the text books) I still have to know the general argument and the information used to back it up, which rarely can be found in the introduction or conclusion. I typically have to read about 500 pages a week minimum (I know that number will increase substantially over the coming years). Reading for academic purposes requires allot more focus and time (thank God for indexes). Plus, in history, I need to be able to place the book within the historiographical timeline of the topic. By the time I call it quits for a day, I have no desire to open another book and make me eyes and brain work more (My brain is usually fried, to make a bad pun). Unlike many students, who are just there to get a degree and put in minimal effort, I always do the required readings. (It's amazing to me how many students don't even do that on a regular basis). I know what I have to do to make it further in academia, so pleasure reading and sometimes, leisure, in general, become nonexistent. It's a trade-off though, because, hopefully, in 5-8 years, I'll have a job that'll let me have a few spare hours a week for such pleasures.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Quote Originally Posted by AlreadyGone95 View Post
    I decided to read Patricia Cornwell's Portrait of a Killer: Jack the Ripper Case Closed. I tried to read it a few years ago, but for some reason or another, I never finished it.
    I now remember why I never finished it. It's very badly written. It's supposed to be nonfiction, and claims to prove 100% who Jack really was, but there are no footnotes or endnotes; there's only a short bibliography at the end. None of the claims are backed up by actual proof and the evidence that is presented is questionable at best. Cornwell approaches the subject by injecting her suspect as Jack the Ripper, instead showing how it's possible that her suspect is the Ripper.This book should serve a means of showing how not to write a nonfiction historical book. I'm going to finish reading it as pure speculation and possible theories (fiction).
    -Kim-

I didn't know this thread existed either! With a lot of time on my hands outside of work because of covid, I've been reading the entire fiction works of author Nicholas Coleridge. His books are hilariously, laugh out loud funny and practically impossible to put down. I'm on #5 of 6 and I have no idea what I'll read next!

I've just started reading for my book club and for the NEA Big Read, Circe by Madeline Miller. She also wrote The Song Of Achilles​, which won the Orange Prize for Fiction.

It's all in your smile that brings
    All of the special things about you

Since I've pretty much have been working since mid January, I haven't had a lot of time to read (which for me is unheard of!). However I was able to finish that Dean Koontz book. The most recent book I read was The book thief by Markus Zusak, which was went against my personal rule of reading the book before seeing the movie. I saw the movie back a few years ago and loved it, so I thought I'd give the book a try. I'm glad I did, because it was indeed a really good book.

Now I'm reading The Broker by John Grisham. I haven't had a good track record with his books, I've read at least four of his books before and only liked one: The Last Juror. However, this one is pretty good and I'm more than halfway through it.

I'm finding myself with alot of free time on my hands since I'm no longer having classes. Plus, during slow times at my library job, reading is encouraged. I've currently just started The Face of a Stranger by Anne Perry. It is so nice to be able to read fiction again without feeling like I'm slacking by not reading a nonfiction book related to my studies.
    -Kim-

That's cool that you now have all this time to read, AG. And is that book a crime drama/ thriller? sounds like it is from the title.

Books are pretty much one of the only things that's keeping me sane right now. Currently I am reading the first book in the Lord Of the Rings, The Fellowship of the ring. I tried reading The Hobbit back in 2019, and geez, it was so boring, but I made myself finish it. But boy did I want to throw it into a wood chipper. Luckily, I'm having better luck with Fellowship. I'm almost finished with it and it's a decent read. I hope the other two in the series are as good.