Page 9 of 68 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959 ... LastLast

Thread: The Border Book Club

Default Re: The Border Book Club

I'll be interested to hear what you think of it, lynnzop!

Funny you should mention Stephen King... as soon as I put down A Quiet Belief In Angels, I started reading one of his novels - Desperation. I almost commented on that in my last post actually! I wondered which of Stephen King's books people would especially recommend? I've only read Misery and The Shining so far, but I enjoyed both. Any suggestions?

you better put it all behind you, baby, 'cause life goes on
    you keep carrying that anger, it'll eat you up inside--

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

'A Quiet Belief in Angels' definitely sounds worth the read Lou. I'll look out for it.

As regards Stephen King, I read 'The Stand' 20 years ago. I was working in Boston at the time and a colleague had finished it and suggested I read it. It was unputdownable. Interesting too that it was the inspiration for Glenn 's song 'Brave New World.
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

I just finished reading "South of Broad" by Pat Conroy. I loved this book so much-had trouble putting it down, yet hated for it to end! I was in tears by the last page-highly recommended!

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Troubadour View Post

Funny you should mention Stephen King... as soon as I put down A Quiet Belief In Angels, I started reading one of his novels - Desperation. I almost commented on that in my last post actually! I wondered which of Stephen King's books people would especially recommend? I've only read Misery and The Shining so far, but I enjoyed both. Any suggestions?

Cell and The Dark Half are worth reading. My husband has read many King books but they are the only two I've read.

I've read many books by Stephen King in the past - my favorite by far is The Stand, although I enjoy almost everything he writes.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

In the past I have also read a lot of Stephen King Books, one of the first books that I have read from him was Pet Sematary. Then I lost the interest in Stephen King books for a long time, I don´t know exactly why.The Stand, Salem's Lot, It and Needful Things are my favorites.
    Under the Dome I will in any case buy it or I will wish it to me for Christmas.
    "For the record, we never broke up, we just took a 14-year vacation!"
    (Glenn Frey)

Quote Originally Posted by Troubadour View Post

The Stand is far and away my favorite, but a hefty tome. If you'd like to try something that requires a little less commitment , but just as good, I'd recommend The Green Mile series, or perhaps a collection of short stories. Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption was made into a film and if you haven't seen the movie, it's well worth a read (in the Different Seasons collection).

Both film adaptations of Green Mile and Shawshank were really good. Most of King's stuff doesn't translate well to movie.

Desperation...you're a brave soul to take that one on. If you really want something interesting after you've finished it, pick up Regulators. I won't go into any details except that it's the "partner" novel of Desperation, written by King's alter-ego (and gore-King hahahaha) Richard Bachman.
    You better put it all behind you baby, ‘cause life goes on,
    You keep carryin’ that anger, it’ll eat you up inside…
    Heart of the Matter

I'm almost finished with Thomas Pynchon's August 2009 bestselling novel, "Inherent Vice." It's a 'sixties detective story--certain to sell to today's younger market. I've been reading Thomas Pynchon's books, off and on, since 1978--spring semester during my senior year of high school. The kids in my class used to believe (and say in discussions) that Mr. Pynchon, who was then considered to be a reclusive literary figure--mailed in his manuscripts to his publisher anonymously--from foreign office depots and no-return-address-stops like the wilds of Africa--of course, this was all purely mythological; but it left an undeliable impression on teenage novel wanna-read(-er)s and wanna-write(-r)'s! I think he'll be one of the contemporary great twentieth-century American novelists for his fluid prose, unconventional topics, and patchwork collage-imaging style.

Border Desperado

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa View Post
    I'm almost finished with Thomas Pynchon's August 2009 bestselling novel, "Inherent Vice." It's a 'sixties detective story--certain to sell to today's younger market. I've been reading Thomas Pynchon's books, off and on, since 1978--spring semester during my senior year of high school. The kids in my class used to believe (and say in discussions) that Mr. Pynchon, who was then considered to be a reclusive literary figure--mailed in his manuscripts to his publisher anonymously--from foreign office depots and no-return-address-stops like the wilds of Africa--of course, this was all purely mythological; but it left an undeliable impression on teenage novel wanna-read(-er)s and wanna-write(-r)'s! I think he'll be one of the contemporary great twentieth-century American novelists for his fluid prose, unconventional topics, and patchwork collage-imaging style.
    big pynchon fan here! I'll need to pick this up! I'm re-reading Cormac McCarthy right now... and I just finished reading the biography of Paul Bigsby... what an amazing man.
    I hope your daughter never has to find out how funny rape is. -Sodascouts

Stuck on the Border AzEaglesFan's Avatar

I just started reading Rosanne Cash's new book "Composed" I was surprised to see Steuart Smith mentioned in her book. She was recording an album in 1987. She was married to Rodney Crowell at the time and he hired Steuart to play on her record. She writes "I didn't understand Steuart's working style at first and made fun of him a bit to Rodney. He seemed extremely obsessive and overly meticulous, and I sensed a self-consciousness in his demeanor that made me feel awkward, I slowly realized, over the course of the first few weeks of work, that Steuart was one if the most deeply sensitive musicians I had ever encountered, and that the depth of his soul came right out of the ends of his fingers when he played. Living in mundane reality was often almost excruciating for Steuart. He is not the first artist I have known with so few defenses against the world, and certainly there have been many, many times I have felt that vulnerable and exposed myself. He became a collaborator and such an inspiration to me that when I produced Interiors a few years later I sought him out for help with the arrangements and he proved invaluable."