Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: John Lennon

Default John Lennon

This thread is a little late but I figure I'd start a tribute thread.

Default Re: John Lennon

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7Xrmi6fx3w[/ame]

Good idea EL. John deserves his own thread.

This is one of my favorite solo songs by John.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moCf_pghM-U[/ame]
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

In the "This Day in Rock History" thread, this was mentioned:

1971 John Lennon flew from Heathrow Airport to New York, he never set foot on British soil again.
    I don't know much about John Lennon's attitude towards Britain - did he have something against his homeland that caused him not to return to it? There were nine years between that flight and his murder.

BTW, I'm always one to attempt to find out the answer myself before asking, and while Googling this question to no avail, I found this quote made by Lennon in 1970:
    "I started the band. I disbanded it. It's as simple as that."

This is strikingly similar to a quote from Glenn years later in 1982:
    "Let me be concise about it. I started the band, I got tired of it and I quit."

Do you think the echoing was deliberate, or just the result of similar attitudes?

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    In the "This Day in Eagles History" thread, this was mentioned:

I don't know much about John Lennon's attitude towards Britain - did he have something against his homeland that caused him not to return to it? There were nine years between that flight and his murder.

BTW, I'm always one to attempt to find out the answer myself before asking, and while Googling this question to no avail, I found this quote made by Lennon in 1970:

Do you think the echoing was deliberate, or just the result of similar attitudes?
    I don't know the answer to your question about John Lennon, but in response to your question about Glenn's reply, although he is a big fan of The Beatles I think that it was just that he had a similar attitude. JMHO

Quote Originally Posted by GlennLover View Post
    I don't know the answer to your question about John Lennon, but in response to your question about Glenn's reply, although he is a big fan of The Beatles I think that it was just that he had a similar attitude. JMHO
    ..I would tend to agree....

Yes, probably so. I just found the similarity interesting. Their situations are definitely comparable in some ways.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    In the "This Day in Eagles History" thread, this was mentioned:

He & Yoko did talk about returning to Britain on a couple of occasions I think once they had Sean & he became a househusband, but they never did. He couldn't leave before because he didn't have his green card & if he had the US would not have let him back in because of his drug convictions. I think it took him until about 1976 to get the green card. Sean was born shortly afterwards.

Here is an article about the case:

http://www.cardozo.yu.edu/life/spring1998/john.lennon/

I always thought it was terribly sad that first, he couldn't go back & then couldn't find the time.

I just don't think that Glenn is echoing Lennon there, similar though the words are.

I don't know much about Lennon post Beatles. As far as the similarities in the phrasing of the band breakup statements, I think it's a coincidence. I can understand the feeling of wanting to make it clear that you started the band, since the statement is about ending it.
    ~ Cathy ~

Jackson Browne shared this on Facebook.

http://jacksonbrowne.com/news/2011/1...your-love-away

The 30th Annual John Lennon Tribute: Live From the Beacon Theatre NYC album was released today.

Seventeen artists including Jackson Browne, Patti Smith and blues legend Taj Mahal gathered together in New York, N.Y. on Nov. 12, 2010 to pay tribute to John Lennon. The former Beatles frontman’s catalog was dissected from the early years all the way into his solo career including renditions of “God” by Meshell Ndegeocello, “Come Together” by Taj Mahal, Deva Mahal & Steph Brown and a chilling, mellow version of “Help!” by Alejandro Escovedo.
    The album was released today with proceeds going to the Japanese Red Cross for its ongoing Earthquake and Tsunami Relief efforts. The CD will be streaming on Paste Magazine's website through the 22nd.
    Purchase on iTunes, Amazon, eMusic, and Spotify.
    ~ Cathy ~