Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Lynyrd Skynyrd

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Lynyrd Skynyrd

I don't know a lot about Lynyrd Skynyrd (apart from the plane crash and the two most famous songs), but I enjoyed it. They were more convincing than Vinyl's "Led Zeppelin" and I loved the swagger as they walked out of a hotel together.

I made the Eagles connection with the customs, although I'm sure every band had its own customs story.

Fun Fact. The song That Smell uses the same drum beat as One Of These Nights

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

On a solemn note, today marks 39 years since one of the blackest days in the history of rock and roll. This being the terrible plane crash on 20th October 1977 that cost the lives of the Convair CV-240 pilot Walter McCreary, co-pilot William Gray, assistant road manager Dean Kilpatrick, backing vocalist Cassie Gaines and most tragically of all, the great Steve Gaines and Ronnie van Zant.

I always think about Skynyrd on this day and I always like to play some of their music in their memory as close to the anniversary of the crash as possible. I plan on doing a shuffle playlist which I'll post elsewhere (I'll probably do it at the weekend when I have more time).

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

JCL, a sad day for Lynyrd Skynyrd fans for sure. I think it's amazing that they have managed to carry on and be as good as before. Nearly anyway.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

To be honest I've only really listened to the Ronnie era, but I think it's great that they've kept the band's name and music alive despite all the tragedies that have impacted on them over the years. It's not often that I say that, as I think it is important to go out at the right moment and not damage your legacy, and there are some bands that should just leave it be because they just aren't unable for whatever reason to recapture the old magic, but as Skynyrd was cut short in its prime this is one case where I think the revival was the right thing to do, even if it's not quite as great as the halcyon days of the 1970s.

I was talking about Skynyrd with my Dad a couple of months ago (it was around my birthday because that was when I got Nuthin' Fancy along with Pronounced... on CD). I knew he'd been to see them live at least once but he could never remember know when he'd seen them, but when I last asked he was pretty sure he went to see them on the Nuthin' Fancy tour. The songs he remembers most hearing live tend to be the ones from Pronounced though - Simple Man, Free Bird, Tuesday's Gone etc.

Border Troubadour

I went to see Skynyrd at their 'final' UK show (until the money dries up presumably) last night. They were utterly exceptional. It was a pretty standard greatest hits set, which fortunately included my favourites (Ballad of Curtis Loew, Don't Ask Me No Questions and Tuesday's Gone) in addition to the tried and tested staples everyone goes along to hear (you know them...); even songs which I like but I'm not massive on (Workin' for MCA, That Smell) were enjoyable.

The band themselves, from JVZ's frontman skills to the eccentric keys courtesy of Peter Keys, the rhythm section and the Honkettes were on fire; but by far and away the most magical element though was the formidable trio of guitarists, particularly Medlocke and Rossington, leading the line. Seeing the four guitarists plus Johnny stand almost perfectly still next to each other whilst playing a rhythm break in Free Bird, mic stand adorned with the US flag and Ronnie's famous headwear, was as breathtaking and iconic as any other moment I have seen on stage in a concert; equally endearing was just how much of their set and screen show was dedicated to their fallen comrades, from the famous ones tragically taken in the 70s to those who played little more than a tour with them. Rickey Medlocke has long been my favourite member of Skynyrd and probably my favourite Southern Rock musician, so just to see him at all, complete with trademark tattoos and Gibson Explorer, was enough!

I will also give a shoutout to the two support acts, up-and-coming hard rockers Massive Wagons (from my home county for good measure!) and the most stellar of all British rock, Status Quo. Having seen some truly awful support acts in my time, it was wonderful to say both were worthy accompaniments to the main act.

Quote Originally Posted by thelastresort View Post
    I went to see Skynyrd at their 'final' UK show (until the money dries up presumably) last night. They were utterly exceptional. It was a pretty standard greatest hits set, which fortunately included my favourites (Ballad of Curtis Loew, Don't Ask Me No Questions and Tuesday's Gone) in addition to the tried and tested staples everyone goes along to hear (you know them...); even songs which I like but I'm not massive on (Workin' for MCA, That Smell) were enjoyable.

The band themselves, from JVZ's frontman skills to the eccentric keys courtesy of Peter Keys, the rhythm section and the Honkettes were on fire; but by far and away the most magical element though was the formidable trio of guitarists, particularly Medlocke and Rossington, leading the line. Seeing the four guitarists plus Johnny stand almost perfectly still next to each other whilst playing a rhythm break in Free Bird, mic stand adorned with the US flag and Ronnie's famous headwear, was as breathtaking and iconic as any other moment I have seen on stage in a concert; equally endearing was just how much of their set and screen show was dedicated to their fallen comrades, from the famous ones tragically taken in the 70s to those who played little more than a tour with them. Rickey Medlocke has long been my favourite member of Skynyrd and probably my favourite Southern Rock musician, so just to see him at all, complete with trademark tattoos and Gibson Explorer, was enough!

I will also give a shoutout to the two support acts, up-and-coming hard rockers Massive Wagons (from my home county for good measure!) and the most stellar of all British rock, Status Quo. Having seen some truly awful support acts in my time, it was wonderful to say both were worthy accompaniments to the main act.
    I bet it meant a lot to be there on their last night!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Thanks for that awesome review, thelastresort! Sounds like it was a fantastic show!

I hope to see them someday!

And usually, if the lead singer is gone, I don't care much about a band anymore, but in this case, I've always loved them!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Thanks for the review, tlr. Sounds like a very cool show.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Awesome TLR. I saw them on this farewell tour last year and it was an excellent show. Rickey is a hoot!
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."