Thread: Lynyrd Skynyrd

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Lynyrd Skynyrd

Ok... So I've done a G'n'R thread. And I was looking to see if any of my other 'favorite bands' are without an appreciation thread. This one is the only "big one" I could not find a thread for.

So any Skynyrd fans in the house?! I'm really a fan of 70s Skynyrd. My favorite album is the Street Survivors album. It has 3 of my favorite songs of theirs on it. That Smell, What's Your Name, and You Got That Right. I prefer Steve Gaines over Ed King on the "3rd" guitar spot. It's Gary Rossington, Allen Collins, and Steve Gaines. My personal favorite guitarist in that band is Allen Collins. He was VERY underrated IMO and really the unsung guitar hero of that band.

My favorite Skynyrd songs are That Smell, What's Your Name, You Got That Right, Tuesday's Gone, Simple Man, Gimme Three Steps, Sweet Home Alabama, On The Hunt, I Ain't The One, Swamp Music, Working for MCA, Saturday Night Special, and Free Bird of course. My favorite song is a REALLY tough choice, but it's probably That Smell.

I really think (and this is just my opinion, take it with a grain of salt) that the new Lynyrd Skynyrd albums SUCK. They are going country, getting songwriters to write their material, etc. That's NOT what Ronnie Van Zant was about. Gary Rossington is the only member alive in the band. He keeps feeding off of the name, and making big bucks. Their new material isn't worth playing, and even though I've seen them live and MAY see them again in the future, I really don't like their new material OR the fact that Gary (and Johnny too) is making a killing off of RVZ and the original member's work. I still may go see them as I do like hearing their songs, but I won't be paying very much to do so. There used to be a rule that in order to tour under the name, there had to be three original members in the band. Gary is the only one now.

So here is a video of my favorite Skynyrd tune. I love the guitar licks in this one, it's a classic.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQlCxE4z3u4[/ame]
    Last edited by WalshFan88; 12-26-2010 at 03:20 AM.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."