Thread: Lynyrd Skynyrd

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Lynyrd Skynyrd

Ok... So I've done a G'n'R thread. And I was looking to see if any of my other 'favorite bands' are without an appreciation thread. This one is the only "big one" I could not find a thread for.

So any Skynyrd fans in the house?! I'm really a fan of 70s Skynyrd. My favorite album is the Street Survivors album. It has 3 of my favorite songs of theirs on it. That Smell, What's Your Name, and You Got That Right. I prefer Steve Gaines over Ed King on the "3rd" guitar spot. It's Gary Rossington, Allen Collins, and Steve Gaines. My personal favorite guitarist in that band is Allen Collins. He was VERY underrated IMO and really the unsung guitar hero of that band.

My favorite Skynyrd songs are That Smell, What's Your Name, You Got That Right, Tuesday's Gone, Simple Man, Gimme Three Steps, Sweet Home Alabama, On The Hunt, I Ain't The One, Swamp Music, Working for MCA, Saturday Night Special, and Free Bird of course. My favorite song is a REALLY tough choice, but it's probably That Smell.

I really think (and this is just my opinion, take it with a grain of salt) that the new Lynyrd Skynyrd albums SUCK. They are going country, getting songwriters to write their material, etc. That's NOT what Ronnie Van Zant was about. Gary Rossington is the only member alive in the band. He keeps feeding off of the name, and making big bucks. Their new material isn't worth playing, and even though I've seen them live and MAY see them again in the future, I really don't like their new material OR the fact that Gary (and Johnny too) is making a killing off of RVZ and the original member's work. I still may go see them as I do like hearing their songs, but I won't be paying very much to do so. There used to be a rule that in order to tour under the name, there had to be three original members in the band. Gary is the only one now.

So here is a video of my favorite Skynyrd tune. I love the guitar licks in this one, it's a classic.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQlCxE4z3u4[/ame]
    Last edited by WalshFan88; 12-26-2010 at 03:20 AM.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border tequila girl's Avatar

Default Re: Lynyrd Skynyrd

Hey Austin, I'm ashamed to say i've never really listened to them very much..................but I LOVE Sweet Home Alabama
    ~Carole~

There is no more new frontier - we have got to make it here

Quote Originally Posted by tequila girl View Post
    Hey Austin, I'm ashamed to say i've never really listened to them very much..................but I LOVE Sweet Home Alabama
    And who HASN'T heard "Sweet Home Alabama"! Great song! If I was gonna suggest an album for you to listen to, I'd suggest their Greatest Hits album which has quite a few of their biggest known songs. They had a lot of great tunes, and a few so-so ones. I personally never liked the "Gimme Back My Bullets" album.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

I was never a huge Skynyrd fan though I did like a few of their songs. Free Bird was almost an anthem and Sweet Home Alabama was easy on my ears.

I think it was back around 1998 or maybe 1999 that I was really into motorcycle touring. I had an old 1982 750cc Yamaha Virago and was a member of a Virago Motorcycle Owners group on Yahoo. We'd been looking for a place to meet up face to face as our membership was from all over the country and the only centralized ride-in happened to be down on a river park in Southern Missouri.

This turned out to be a southern Harley Davidson meet and man, were we some kind of out of place there withour Viragos <LOL>. It was for a good cause though. To raise money to make funds available for the recovery of abducted children. One thing I can say is that those Biker Dudes really know how to throw a party!

Lynyrd Skynyrd with Johnny VZ were to perform. They took the stage right after the wet tee shirt contest (a contest that was canceled and three of the contestants kicked out of the park....they let the puppies loose! and weren't supposed to because it was a ralley for children! Bad example <LOL>)

They played LOUD until 7:30 the next morning! LS really did know how to party. But it seemed that they got a lot better as the night progressed!

After I'd gone back to my tent, this guy came stumbling through the middle of our camp and almost fell into the fire. He was moving REALLY SLOW and couldn't keep his balance. He'd lost his motorcycle and had lost his tent and bedroll. And, he'd lost his wife. But he thought he was getting pretty close to finding them. A couple of us helped him through the camp away from our fire. About a half hour later (around 4 or 5am) I heard this woman scream! I guess our stumbling friend thought he had found his tent and crawled inside. It wasn't his. Saw the guy whose tent it was the next morning and he told me the guy was dosed to the gills (which I knew) and he felt sorry for him and just moved over and let him sleep with them!

The dosed guy lost his keys to his bike the night before and was up with bloodshot eyes and shakey hands trying to hotwire his bike. I presume it actually was his for no one was complaining about his cutting into their rides!

But Skynyrd played pretty much every song I'd ever heard them do and a lot that I didn't know. Gotta say that Johnny sounded an awful lot like Ronnie but it just somehow wasnt' the same.

MikeA

Very cool Mike.

Johnny does sound a lot similar to Ronnie. But not the same. It's just not the same. I still go to their shows in Peoria/Springfield every now and then for entertainment when my parents go but it's not the same and I can say that even though I never saw the old Skynyrd live. Just comparing it to videos and the records from the 70s.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I like a lot of LS songs, but kinda feel like you, Austin. The new version just is NOT the original. I never saw either live. I really love Simple Man. That song just nearly brings me to tears every time. Of course Free Bird and Sweet Home Alabama are great, but they play them too much around here. We had those two songs in our top 100 cds in our cd player at home and it seemed that every time we played the cd player randomly, we'd get FB. Finally had to take it out of the player!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten