Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lynyrd Skynyrd

Default Re: Lynyrd Skynyrd

Walsh fan Steve and Ed were born on Exactly the same day. Ed also occasonly used a Les Paul on Nuthin Fancy ala Whisky Rock A Roller. Steve also brought You Got That Right,

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    Nuthin' Fancy is a GREAT record (it features On The Hunt which is so underrated)....I'm not a fan of Gimme Back My Bullets. The song and the record. It's the weakest of all of the original 70s output, IMO.

Normally I find that out by listening if it's a humbucker guitar (darker, warmer, heavier) or a single coil (brighter, twangier, wirey). Skynyrd had 3 guitarists, two of them used humbucker guitars, one of them single coil guitars. You can pick the different guitars apart, and therefore, the guitarist. Allen's guitar had humbuckers but was bassy and murky sounding. Gary's guitar which also had humbuckers had a bit more bite to it. And Ed/Steve's guitar was bright and twangy and was obvious.

Also if you watch old videos it becomes apparent who did what on the record. Allen played most of the Free Bird solo himself. Gary played slide. Ed played rhythm. The dueling bits at the end are Allen and Ed (IIRC).

Gary has always played the Les Paul except on Free Bird where he plays an SG. Both Gibson guitars.

Allen played a Firebird early on and then switched to the Explorer. Again, both Gibson guitars.

Ed King played a Strat (Fender) mostly and on songs like Free Bird, a Gibson SG.

Steve Gaines (who replaced Ed) played a Strat mostly and then a Les Paul for certain songs (like Free Bird).

To me the shining song for their "three guitar army" was That Smell. Everyone had a solo in that and the three guitar tones and styles are plain as day to me personally. That would have been Gary on the Les Paul, Allen on the Explorer, and Steve on the Strat. My favorite solo in the song has to be Steve's. Steve brought so much to the band and I prefer him over Ed. Steve brought the band "I Know A Little" and "Ain't No Good Life". Steve was a monster guitarist and so underrated.
    Thanks Austin, I knew you'd be able to help! That's absolutely great. Next time I listen to one of their albums I'll keep an ear out for the guitar sounds you mention. I'll be listening closely to the guitar solos on That Smell for sure as that seems like a good starting point. Thanks also to everyone else for the additional info! I'll probably listen to Nuthin' Fancy first before Bullets.

It's interesting to hear how massive they are in the south, as they definitely don't seem to be as big over here as they, at least in terms of general awareness. The only songs people other than rock fans seem to know in my experience are Sweet Home Alabama and Free Bird. I'm not really familiar with the band's music with Johnny VZ - funnily enough my Dad had no idea that the band had resumed, he'd always assumed they just ended after the tragedy in October 1977.

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

Over five years after the OP. I know pretty much nothing of LS apart from SHA. I'll give 'Street Survivors' a listen today (it's on Spotify).

EDIT: Halfway through. It makes a great deal of sense for a Joe Walsh fan to enjoy this album
    Last edited by Annoying Twit; 06-20-2016 at 05:45 AM.

Hey annoying twit how was the rest of SS? Listen to the rest I love Nothin Fancy and don't forget One More From The Road. If it weren't for the crash the RVZ era band could have become bigger then the Eagles.

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by travlnman2 View Post
    Hey annoying twit how was the rest of SS? Listen to the rest I love Nothin Fancy and don't forget One More From The Road. If it weren't for the crash the RVZ era band could have become bigger then the Eagles.
    I was working so didn't get to listen to it with as much care as I'd like to have. However, it was good quality enjoyable southern rock. Actually, if I'd predicted what sort of music was on the album, I think I would have guessed. No one song jumped out as being as good as Sweet Home Alabama, at least not on the first listening. But, not many songs in the whole world are as good as SHA.

I definitely enjoyed the album.

Street Survivors is my favorite LS album... I prefer the lineup with Steve instead of Ed on guitar.

I have an original copy with the flames (before they changed it) with an insert for a free tshirt and the tour dates they were supposed to go on before they crashed. It's a prized possession of mine, no doubt.

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    Street Survivors is my favorite LS album... I prefer the lineup with Steve instead of Ed on guitar.

I have an original copy with the flames (before they changed it) with an insert for a free tshirt and the tour dates they were supposed to go on before they crashed. It's a prized possession of mine, no doubt.
    I have my dad's copy of that album with the flames and tour date info. I love it, but it being my dad's copy makes it even more special.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Quote Originally Posted by AlreadyGone95 View Post
    I have my dad's copy of that album with the flames and tour date info. I love it, but it being my dad's copy makes it even more special.
    Same but I bought it. 35 bucks

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

Just saw a biopic is in the works called "Freebird" and it'll actually be co-written and produced by drummer Artimus Pyle who survived the plane crash. It's also supposed to cover his friendship with Ronnie too and casting looks to be underway with filming starting later this summer. Sounds like they're hoping for a release date next year.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/06/24...-freebird-film

Seems to be a trend going on with Classic Rock biopic films coming as there were already two in development about Beatles manager Brian Epstein and last week one got announced about The Rolling Stones set during the making of "Exile on Main Street".
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

Cameron Crowe did just a great tribute to Lynyrd Skynyrd last night in the latest episode of his show "Roadies"!!! All the characters spent the whole episode on a bus ride so the Phil character (Ron White) finally told them the story of how he met Ronnie and started touring with the band and we got to see the flashbacks. It was such a great episode and the actor who played Ronnie did a great job. Some of the stories were true and they used footage from actual Skynyrd concerts, but Cameron did also write in that story of what happened with Irving and the Eagles with the drugs at the airport but made it about Phil instead. The relationship Cameron wrote about Ronnie & Phil felt so much like how he wrote Russell & William's in "Almost Famous" and we know that was based off Cameron & Glenn's real life friendship, so when Phil talked about Ronnie dying and how hard it was to lose one of his close friends & mentors it hit me that I think Cameron was also talking about Glenn and I got teary eyed. It was such a great episode.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."