Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagles Song Survivor: On The Border

I cast my vote for On The Border

I think it is the worst song on the album, seems very bitty, and doesn't blend with the other songs.
    You can spend all your time making money
    You can spend all your love making time
    If it all fell to pieces tomorrow
    Could you still be mine

As usual, I'm a bit slow....I have a different take on YNCLAL, but it's too late for that. lol So, the song I would have voted off first now gets my vote as the second song that should leave.

I cast my vote for Is It True.

I don't have a strong feeling against this song (or any Eagles song for that matter) but it is the one that does the least for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Perfect Little Sister
    As usual, I'm a bit slow....I have a different take on YNCLAL, but it's too late for that. lol
    Well dang, you get two days to vote, PLS! Get a move on!

I'm curious - what's your take on YNCLAL?

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

I see it more as him lamenting the relationship gone wrong than blaming her for it not working out. Two people once in love and somewhere along the lines it went wrong. They both stopped trying. He knows it's over but he doesn't want it to be. He's torn by needing to move on and wanting to hold on to what once was. The "try a little harder" is not necessarily an admonition to her, but perhaps talking to himself..."if I try a little harder maybe we can save this". "I thought I saw somebody I loved sleeping deep inside you"...the woman he fell in love with..."if I could catch you in an unguarded moment, I'd stay right there beside you"...if only we could go back to how it was when we first got together I'd never let you go. "Sometimes I believe in love, sometimes I doubt it" illustrates his torn feelings. "I was hoping you were the one"...again he doesn't want to let go. "Somebody must have put some pain on you" is he expressing some guilt here? Following with the title line lamenting over and over, he recognizes that this pain has made her withdraw from the relationship. It seems to me more a tale of sorrow than a chauvinistic rant of if you put out more I wouldn't toss you over for the next young thing. But that's just my take on it. Sorry my answer got so long and involved.lol

I see what you mean, PLS, and those are good points. I just can't get over what I see as a slew of directly accusatory statements:

You never cry like a lover should
    Sigh when it feels real good
    Or see the sky through the stone and wood
    You never cry like a lover

[...]

You never smile at me late at night
    Laugh out loud when we get it right
    You can't get loose if there's too much light
    You never smile like a lover

[...]

You never move like you used to do
    Pour it out when you're feelin' blue...

[...]

You never Cry Like a Lover [repeat, repeat, repeat]

(If you want context, the full lyrics are here: http://www.purelyrics.com/index.php?lyrics=indwyprn )

----

Also notice how almost all of these recriminations have to do with her being sexually non-responsive. It's telling that it's her lack of "vocal" appreciation in bed that is most disturbing to him and what he focuses on, although other issues are briefly mentioned. Even the quasi-sympathetic "Somebody must have put some pain on you" sounds like more of a "you're damaged goods" comment than personal guilt - "You were messed up before you got to me, so it's not my fault that..." [and the next line is]... "You never cry like a lover."

And nowhere do I see him taking any responsbility elsewhere, so it's hard for me to believe he's suddenly talking to himself with "Try a little harder" - although it's certainly possible, and who knows, maybe you're right!

It's the "like you used to do" that makes me see the love lost aspect of it. And the "try a little harder" doesn't specify 'you need to'. But hey, given how...um..."free" the guys were back then my interp may be waaaaaayyy out of left field. I just like to play the devil's advocate.lol

Hey, I like a good debate, too. And your interp is just as valid a mine.

Sorry I derailed this thread. Now...back to the game.

Who will be the next to be voted off? [cue dramatic music]

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Just had to take another listen to the remaining 3 songs on this album that I don't care much for.

Yep. No doubt about it.

I cast my vote for Midnight Flyer as the next song to leave. It annoys me. Of course they sing it beautifully as only the Eagles could, but....

And for some reason I can't get the bold, italic, or u buttons to work in my posts anymore. Strange.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

That's weird, Brooke. Are you trying to highlight or do it manually (by typing the brackets and "b" or "i"?)