Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: American Idol 2011

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Default American Idol 2011

I admit I watched it last night for one reason only and you all know what that tall, great looking reason was. How do you all think Steve & Jennifer did as judges? I think Steve was fantastic but Jennifer was just waaaay to nice to be a good judge. To afraid to hurt someone's feelings. But some of those people might need their feelings hurt if they actually thinking they have any talent. Geesh!! It hurt to watch some of them.

And did I say Steve looked fabulous?!?!? YUM!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Default Re: American Idol 2011

I will be watching it some later in the season, but last night there was a much more important event taking place on TV for ME. The Barret-Jackson Automobile Auction! 40 hours televised in HD through Sunday on the "Speed Channel".

The "real" auction doesn't start until Saturday...maybe late Friday. The first couple of days, just the cheap $40,000 cars are auctioned off <LOL> A 2011 Mustang was auctioned last night that brought $90,000...special car going for a charity but still amazing. That thing had a supercharged 5 liter 750hp engine and was black and beautiful! Haven't seen any of my "dream cars" yet...the little Shelby Cobras....not the Shelby Mustangs which are pretty amazing themselves, but rather the little two-seaters that have no roof...just about a million pounds of torque pushed by a 427 cubic inch monster racing engine!

After watching these Muscle Cars go across the block, the first episodes of AI just don't grab my attention that much. Now if Walsh had been a judge (can we say "Cold Day In Hell"?) I might have flipped over during commercials.

MikeA

I haven't started watching yet either. I don't like this part of the show as much as later on, but I'm sure I'll watch some of the audition shows. Maybe somebody can find a clip from last night?
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Here's a clip I found of the last audition of the day. Willie you're right - Steven looks hot! Dang! How am I going to be able to concentrate on any of the contestants with him around?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1Aoke7aX0Y[/ame]
    ~ Cathy ~

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I watched a little bit of it and I thought Steven was great and J Lo was too nice, too.

And yeah, I thought Steven looked fantastic!

As far as the talent, I didn't see much from the bits I saw.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

I watched most if it (got home a little late).

Since I think since J-Lo is supposed to be the new Paula, I didn't think she was too nice. That's her role. The guys can crush the hopes and dreams of the contestants without her.

I thought Steve was going to be the Simon replacement - ie, providing the snark - but from what I saw, the only thing he said was "I think your voice is real beautiful" to the good ones and then laugh at the bad ones. He looks cool, but not hot (to me). Still, he's 1000x times better than Ellen and Kara combined!

It appears Randy is supposed to be the snarky / cruel one now, but from what I saw, he didn't pull it off very well. There was one segment where he tells a contestant something along the lines of "I think you're definitely going to Hollywood... NOT" which was trying to be Simon-esque but failing, IMHO.

The problem with these opening shows are that half the time we're supposed to be laughing at people, and I don't really enjoy it (even though many are obviously there to get laughs, some of those kids actually did think they could sing). I don't really get into the show until they start narrowing them down.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

OK - watched this show in full and it was definitely better than last night. Some comments:

Jordan, the piano teacher, was so cute! Loved his "Over the Rainbow"!

Sarah, the blonde girl with the black glasses who did "Make You Feel My Love", has a very rich voice. Of course, she's no TBS...

Jacquelyn, the girl with the photo of Randy from high school - wow! "I'll Stand By You" is so hard to sing, but she hit it! You go, girl!

Jovany, the dude that took off his shirt to show his abs off to J-Lo - oh my gosh, so obnoxious! He does have a strong voice but a little too operatic sounding for an "American Idol" if you ask me. Right now, Jovany's not my guy.

Brett, the self-described "different" guy with the hair - at first I thought he was kind of freaky, but I liked that whole "be yourself" bit - especially when you see how white-bread the rest of his family is. Then that voice - DANG! Good!

Jaycee, the heavyset 15-yr-old, has a great voice. I was astonished by his "Sittin' on the Dock of the Bay" and I like him. However, the tweens of America are too shallow to allow him to advance very far, methinks.

Paris, the one with the hearing-impaired daughter, is very strong and admirable. She has a great voice. However, sometimes I worry when they spend so much time on an emotional backstory right off the bat - it might cause a backlash like with Danny Gokey. We'll see.

Border Desperado

OK - for the first time ever I'm gonna watch American Idol from start to finish.....and the reason......STEVEN TYLER!!!! He is such a hoot. I just realized I've been an Aerosmith fan since I was 16 and I'm 50 now. But of course I've been an Eagles fan longer....since I was 12! Steven Tyler provides some much needed entertainment on TV.

Cool! He certainly looks like he's going to spice up the joint. And, unlike some of his predecessors on the judges' panel, he understands rock'n'roll!

Hubby asked me last night if we were going to watch AI. "And miss Bill O'Reilly?", I said.

"Well, I saw that Steven Tyler on Fox & Friends this morning and he's a pretty cool guy."

"And he's HOT!" I said.

So we watched.

I'm not really into rating the contestants yet. I was paying most attention to Steven, anyway. When he showed his stomach -

The biggest difference I noticed was the lack of judging the bad contestants. Sure they did a little, but for the most part they just showed short clips of the bad ones and left the judging in for the good ones. After all, Simon is no longer around to berate the lacking hopefuls. I'm sure AI feels that it's not that entertaining anymore.
    ~ Cathy ~