Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Country Covers?

Default Country Covers?

After reading that bit whitcap found today about Don starting to record his country album, it made me think about what songs he might choose to cover. I kind of got the feeling from what he's said that it might be a lot of old school country, but just for fun, what country song would we like to see him cover?

One I thought of was "The Gambler" - perhaps a new version that's a duet with Kenny Rogers if Don is so inclined, or just straight up solo. Don may no longer gamble literally but the metaphor would still work. I bet he would sound great on it.

Now I know not everyone who posts here is hugely familiar with country music, but does anyone else have any ideas about what they'd like to hear Don do?

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Default Re: Country Covers?

I would give anything for his live version of Too Far Gone (Emmylou Harris) to be included on a CD. Of course, if he wanted to record it in the studio, that would be fine, too.

I'd love to hear him sing I've Seen Better Days. I know it's a duet, but I would love to hear how he'd do George Jones's parts. I love that song - and George's vocal - to death, and I reckon Don could do a pretty good job of it.

I'll come back tomorrow and think of more when I'm not as tired! I love country music.

you better put it all behind you, baby, 'cause life goes on
    you keep carrying that anger, it'll eat you up inside--

Stuck on the Border

I think he'd sound great covering Willie Nelson's "You Were Always on My Mind."
    [

Wow... How often did I use "love" in that last post?

I have that problem too, Troub! I also tend to overuse "great" and "awesome" when discussing our guys. We need to come up with more varied verbs and adjectives.

You and Molly have some great suggestions! I thought of a couple more as well:

George Strait's "Amarillo By Morning" - love that song, and not just because we have a member by that name, lol. Plus, it'll remind everybody he's a Texan and therefore legit. "Baby Blue" requires a lot of emotion but Don is always able to deliver that in spades, so I could see it working for him as well. ("All My Exes Live in Texas" is more suited for Glenn. Sorry, couldn't resist!)

Don covering Glen Campbell's "Rhinestone Cowboy" would be pretty appropriate - plus it's a great song.

The Gaitlin's "All the Gold in California" would be deliciously ironic, although it's obviously suited for a group rather than a single singer. Still, he could bring in some other folks.

JD Souther's "Last in Love" is very country and very moving, and since Glenn co-wrote it, it would be especially cool.

Maybe one of Ronstadt's older songs as a nod the past?

OK, so that was more than a couple, lol. I have to admit I'm pretty intrigued to see what Don will do!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

How about Wichita Lineman by Glen Campbell? I love that song and Don's raspy voice would put a new spin on it.

Behind Closed Doors by Charlie Rich - how sexy could Don make that one!
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Very good ideas, guys! I'm not good at coming up with these things, but I like yours!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

I'm liking these ideas too. Is "it don't matter to the sun" country enough to go on this album. I like that song a lot.
    Melanie

I bet Don could do a seriously sexy and heart-tugging version of George Strait's Living For The Night.

Stuck on the Border

This is just me but I would rather he did more obscure songs. I love Rhinestone Cowboy & Wichita Lineman but Campbell's versions are definitive. I think he is more likely to do bluegrass type stuff than chart hits. Because I know virtually nothing about it I can't make any suggestions.