Page 30 of 31 FirstFirst ... 20262728293031 LastLast

Thread: Bob Seger

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Bob Seger

Thank you for posting the link. Great interview. These little details add colour.

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    Thank you for posting the link. Great interview. These little details add colour.

You are most welcome UTW.

By all accounts Glenn was gregarious and loved a good joke but he also valued/protected his privacy which I certainly understand and respect. Nevertheless it is nice when someone shares details because as you say, it does add "colour".

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

Stuck on the Border

The part I like most is that Bob shows that Glenn was loved and appreciated.
    Also neat to learn that Taylor does stand-up.

From Bob’s twitter account today-

JUST ANNOUNCED: AUSTIN, DALLAS, PORTLAND & SEATTLE DATES HAVE BEEN RESCHEDULED!!! bobseger.com/tour

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    From Bob’s twitter account today-

JUST ANNOUNCED: AUSTIN, DALLAS, PORTLAND & SEATTLE DATES HAVE BEEN RESCHEDULED!!! bobseger.com/tour
    Yay!! Come on Bob!

Didn’t see this Rock Cellar ​magazine interview posted here even though it’s about a year old. Anyway, Bob has some interesting things to say and discusses the Eagles, too, regarding songwriting and how Glenn was his mentor during the early 70s.

From the article (their software doesn’t allow me to copy and paste):

“You listen to Don’s lyrics. He didn’t lighten up. You listen to the stuff they did in 1980 and it’s as good as the songs they did in 1975. ‘Heartache Tonight’ started with me and Glenn at his house. I was playing bass and he was playing guitar. He had this little thing, ‘Somebody’s gonna hurt somebody.’ He wanted to write a shuffle. So we’re playing that groove and Glenn’s singing the verses and suddenly out of the blue, (sings) ‘There’s gonna be a heartache tonight, heartache tonight, I know.’

I started singing that and Glenn goes, ‘YEAH!’ I took what he was singing about and jumped right into the chorus.”

Bob goes on to say how they called Joe around 1:00 a.m. to come over and he writes the bridge. Then J.D. Souther shows up later that night/early morning and helps Glenn with the lyrics. The next day Don H ends up writing a lot of the lyrics. https://www.rockcellarmagazine.com/b...roll-memories/

The song was still not quite complete, however:

”Several months later they were stuck. They didn’t know how to make a chorus sound different. We were up in Aspen and we were all celebrating New Year’s Eve together. They played me the basic track and I started singing something completely weird and different melodically in the song (recites lyrics) ‘We can beat around the bushes, we can get down to the bone. We can leave it in the parking lot but either way there gonna be a heartache tonight, a heartache tonight I know.’ And Henley said ‘Wow!’ because that just came off the top of my head.’”

—”Bob Seger Recalls Opening for KISS in the 1970s and the Stories Behind His Most Celebrated Songs” by Ken Sharp, March 14, 2019.
    https://www.rockcellarmagazine.com/b...roll-memories/

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Thanks for sharing. I love backstories to songs and such. I remember an article where Mr.Segar said at one point Joe played bass when they were ironing things out with the song. Man if I could've been a fly on the wall during all that how cool! Great interview Delilah!

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Love it! Thanks Delilah!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Love backstories, too, KW. Love Bob, and "Heartache Tonight!"
    Thanks, Delilah!
    "Be part of something good--
    Leave something good behind."

Out on the Border RushFanForever's Avatar

I was listening to Bob Seger's song 'Understanding' yesterday, which is originally from the 1984 motion picture Teachers.

The song is also available on Seger's Greatest Hits Vol. 2.

I think of Glenn Frey's song 'Part of Me, Part of You' and to an extent 'Runnin' On Empty' by Jackson Browne as well.

They all have the extended A, D, D/A or Asus chords.