Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Danny Kortchmar

Default Re: Danny Kortchmar

Here's the link to that RS article; read it a week or two back online--nice lil' profile:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...-rock-20130411

Great! I only had time to read the first page right now. I'll read the rest later. I love it when someone gives us an inside view of the music and musicians of that time.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Thank you so much for that, AEW! I was almost late for my lecture this morning because I had to read it right to the end! I had heard some of it before, but there was some new stuff in there too. I'm glad Rolling Stone acknowledged the talents of The Section, despite the fact that much of the article seemed to be a gratuitous look at the bad behaviour and drug use throughout that period. (I was a little surprised when they said that James Taylor had declined to comment as he is pretty open nowadays about his drug addictions... but perhaps he saw that they wanted something titillating and sensational and decided not to go there.)

Several thoughts:

- It's amazing that some of these guys are still alive.

- I love the woman, but Carole King does appear to have particularly bad taste in men! I'm pretty sure it was Rick Evers that she met at a party which was hosted by (or at least attended by) Don and Glenn in Laurel Canyon.

- I never knew that Russ Kunkel dated Carly Simon after her divorce from JT. Awkward.

- I love Crosby's quotes about the inventiveness of The Section. They really were an awesome, highly sought-after bunch of musicians. It's a shame that that kind of collaborative, studio-based vibe doesn't really exist anymore.

- I remember reading about Danny's dislike of "Danny Kootch" before but, as I recall, it wasn't that he doesn't like Kootch (it's a childhood nickname), but more that he didn't like it when Carole credited him as Danny Kootch on her album. He said it was either Danny Kortchmar or Kootch.

- I'm kinda glad I met James Taylor and asked for his autograph only a couple of years ago, and not in the '70s!

- I have read Waddy Wachtel's story about first meeting Danny (and rescuing him after he got jumped on by Carole's boyfriend) before, and it is pretty cute! I'll have to try to find Waddy's memories on that one. It's cool to read. This article has basically summarised the event.

- I like the band of brothers vibe that The Section has and how protective they can be of Carole. After reading all of this, it must have been a real thrill for them to get back together for the Troubadour Reunion Tour in 2010. Oh, how I wish I could have seen it!

- I would sort of love to see Lee Sklar lose it. Just once. "Level of hippie incompetence" cracked me up.

It really makes you realise what an incredibly creative and fun, but also ugly, time this must have been. I'm sure they wanted to kill each other on more than one occasion. This resonates for me because I watched a Crosby, Stills and Nash interview from 1987 on YouTube just a couple of nights ago and it was so sad. Thankfully all is well now, but they were at a bad point back then and Graham Nash was painfully honest about it. Stills was bloated, drunk, egotistical and unapologetic and there were clips of Graham Nash yelling at him backstage to get it together. You could see and hear the exasperation, anger and fear in Graham's voice and it was clear that the drugs took such a massive toll on them as individuals and as a group. It was also clear that he carries a lot of guilt about trying to get Crosby through those gigs, even when he was strung out on hard drugs and almost at rock bottom. I remember Peter Asher discussing the same thing with regard to James Taylor; he would give him methadone just to get him through a show. It's horrible, but the fact that they survived it all and are still touring, sounding incredible and playing together as friends is pretty amazing, once you realise the depths they travelled to together. Music binds people in a way that very little else does.
    Last edited by Troubadour; 06-24-2013 at 04:31 PM.

you better put it all behind you, baby, 'cause life goes on
    you keep carrying that anger, it'll eat you up inside--

Stuck on the Border

I'm glad you got to read it. It didn't occur to me that I still could have linked to it. I was looking at the archives section which I had hoped to print out & send, but I couldn't.

No worries at all - thanks for thinking of me! I hadn't even thought about trying to look on the website.

Stuck on the Border Tiffanny Twisted's Avatar

hey you are right about dh being th one who intoduced carol to rick....she sates in her book .a good read by the way.

Danny posted on Facebook that he caught Jackson's show in Tanglewood and that it was a lot of fun. He also joined him on stage for Running on Empty. How cool!

Quote Originally Posted by Troubadour View Post
    Danny posted on Facebook that he caught Jackson's show in Tanglewood and that it was a lot of fun. He also joined him on stage for Running on Empty. How cool!
    That would be so fun to see!
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

I know - that audience had a treat!