Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: BBC4

Stuck on the Border tequila girl's Avatar

Default BBC4

Hope you guys don't mind i've started a new thread for this, as it appears this Friday Night Music is a regular thing in the UK..

Tomorrow 24th Feb the line up is

9:00pm
    Forever Young - How Rock 'n' Roll Grew Up
    Documentary exploring how rock 'n' roll stars have coped with growing old after being symbols of rebellion from the genre's roots in the 1950s. The programme uncovers how artists have enjoyed comebacks in the 21st century, and examines what happened to the mantra `live fast, die young'. Featuring contributions by Iggy Pop, Lemmy, Rick Wakeman, Suggs and Alison Moyet. Narrated by Cherie Lunghi

10:00pm
    Steve Winwood - English Soul
    Documentary about the Birmingham-born singer-songwriter, founding member of the Spencer Davis Group and Traffic. During the 1980s he reinvented himself as a solo artist and released hits including Higher Love and Valerie. Featuring interviews with his brother Muff Winwood, Eric Clapton, Paul Rodgers, Paul Weller and Dave Mason

11:00pm
    Carole King & James Taylor: Live at the Troubadour
    Reunion concert recorded in 2007 at the Hollywood venue where King and Taylor first appeared as fledgling singers in November 1970. They perform a variety of their most popular numbers backed by the Section, the same band that featured on their albums Tapestry and Sweet Baby James almost four decades ago

12:00am
    Classic Albums
    Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - Damn the Torpedoes The making of Damn the Torpedoes by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, which was recorded in secrecy in 1979 as the band members fought for creative independence with their record company. The programme examines how Tom Petty, Mike Campbell, Benmont Tench, Ron Blair and Stan Lynch created their third album with the help of co-producer Jimmy Iovine and engineer Shelly Yakus, which occupied the number two spot in America for seven weeks and initially sold more than 2.5 million copies
    ~Carole~

There is no more new frontier - we have got to make it here

Default Re: BBC4

BBC 4 shows some great stuff! As does Sky Arts and Vintage TV (the latter is under the music category.) I stumbled upon a James Taylor concert on there the other night and recorded it.

you better put it all behind you, baby, 'cause life goes on
    you keep carrying that anger, it'll eat you up inside--

I thought they'd finished all the music on a Friday night stuff. Will make sure the PVR has room for all this tonight. Thanks.
    Melanie

Some of these shows sound great!
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Would love to be able to see some of those! They sound great. Can we see them online somewhere I wonder?
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Sometimes I'm able to pull up BBC broadcasts (replays) online. Just depends on what it is and what your web browser allows. Just go to the BBC websites, find what you're interested in and try it.
    You were just too busy being FABULOUS....

Victim of Love

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Thanks for the info, Carole. I would LOVE to see pretty much all of these! Ah - so much music - so little time!

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

The First One - Forever Young was really Good (it's just finished).....Took me right back to my Youth!
    ~Carole~

I recorded them all then when I sat to watch then I realised I'd seen most of them already. Still watched them again.
    Melanie

Tonight's offering

9.00 Ron Sexsmith: Love Shines

Documentary charting the life and career of singer-songwriter Ron Sexsmith, who has struggled to achieve mainstream fame despite his songs being covered by artists such as Michael Buble and Rod Stewart. The film follows him in the studio as he enlists the help of producer Bob Rock, hoping to record a commercially successful album entitled Long Player, Late Bloomer. Featuring contributions by his celebrity fans including Elvis Costello, Steve Earle and Feist

10.30 Songwriters' Circle

Fran Healy, Ron Sexsmith and Graham Gouldman Three singer-songwriters appear in concert at London's Bush Hall, performing a mixture of old and new material. Travis's Fran Healy plays vintage numbers Driftwood and Writing to Reach You as well as a track from recent solo album Wreckorder, Canadian Ron Sexsmith performs Whatever it Takes and Secret Heart, while Graham Gouldman of 10cc presents songs he co-wrote for the band. Last in the series

and the pièce de résistance

11.40 In Concert: Gordon Lightfoot

A classic concert by the Canadian singer-songwriter, accompanied by Red Shea and Richard Haynes. The trio perform songs including Summer Side of Life, Saturday Clothes, That's What You Get for Loving Me, If I Could Read Your Mind and Steel Rail Blues
    ~Carole~