Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: You Belong To the City and Baker Street

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: You Belong To the City and Baker Street

Thanks for your post, Soda. Of course, even though I may not agree with everything thing you wrote, I always respect yours and everyone else's right to their opinion. I very much believe that any argument anyone wants to use to support their opinion is legitimate if they can back it up. However, if someone uses their own criteria to rebut someone else's opinion who wasn't using that same criteria as a gauge, it can cause problems. It's the old "apples vs. oranges" thing. It may seem like it's splitting hairs, however, it's a subtle, but important distinction that I learned on my debate teams a few years ago (well, okay, more than a few years ago).

Here's another observation - often times when we discuss simiarities, we speak in broader, more general terms since, by definition, similarities aren't precise or exact. However, when we get to discussing differences, we tend to dissect the comparisons more. Obviously, things that have similarities also have differences cause it they didn't, then they'd be the same.

Back to your analysis of the songs, the only part of your argument that have a lot of disagreement with is the part where you say the verses in Baker Street give you a sleepy feeling and you don't find them energizing. Suffice it to say, I don't get the same feeling at all. While I agree that there is less contrast between the verses and sax solo in YBTTC, I get a sense of constant motion from the music throughout both songs. For me, the cadance of the verses of both songs give them energy as well.

As I said, I love both songs. If I had to pick a favorite, I guess I'd have to give a slight tiny little edge to Baker Street, but only because it was first. Probably, not a very good reason, but, hey, it works for me!

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

I can understand what Soda means by "sleepy feeling" when describing Baker Street's verses as opposed to YBTTC's verses and for me it does indeed have to do somewhat with Gerry Rafferty's vocals. It's a great vocal - don't get me wrong - but I understand the sleepy vibe.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Stuck on the Border Thirsty&Hot's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    When Gerry Rafferty passed away recently, I mentioned this subject, but since that thread was devoted to Gerry’s memory, I didn’t want to take the discussion away from its purpose of honoring him at that time.

However, this is something I noticed a long time ago, so I wanted to discuss it a bit more. Am I the only one that sees a lot of similarities between Glenn’s You Belong To the City and Gerry’s song, Baker Street? I think the two classic songs are so similar in construction that I’ve often wondered if Glenn intentionally modeled YBTTC after Baker Street. Of course, the most obvious similarities are the incredible saxophones that are probably two of the most recognizable sax solos ever. Before I mention any other things, I’d like to see if anyone else wants to compare the two songs likenesses or differences. So anyone have any thoughts?

I'm posting videos for the songs in case anyone wants to give them another listen ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkS169P_Eeo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yUmhsy3KuY

i remember hearing either one or both of these songs when I was a child, and for the longest time I couldn't remember who sang them or what the songs were when I was trying to recall them as I got older. I would try to describe it..."you know the one with the saxophone"
    Men at Work was suggested..but I knew that wasn't it.
    Then when I fell in love with Gerry Rafferty's "Right Down the Line", I started to explore the rest of his work and when I heard "Baker Street" I thought for sure that was it!
    But then when I listened to Glenn's solo stuff and heard "You Belong to the City" and realized he was in Miami Vice etc etc (my mom was obsessed with Miami Vice and Don Johnson) I was like OH WAIT I think THIS is IT!

haha perhaps it was both that i remembered so fondly, but I'm pretty sure it was probably Glenn's music knowing my mom.

anyway..YES these two songs definitely have a very similar sound!