Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Japan experiences major earthquake and tsunami

Default Re: Japan experiences major earthquake and tsunami

I haven't been able to follow the developments very closely at all on the situation with the reactors in Japan. I think they must rely heavily on Nuclear Energy. And from what I hear, at least on one and maybe two reactors, they are flooding them with seawater to cool the cores down. When they do that, they are in effect destroying the possibility of ever getting those reactors back on-line in the future.

So even with recovery from the Tsunami and the Quake, they are going to be really short on power.

And, I did hear that there was in fact a partial meltdown on one of the reactors. There is a big difference in threat with a partial meltdown and a full meltdown. Hopefully, that statement I heard was the correct one. Of course, they cannot release full disclosure for fear of PANIC worldwide that could come with the impact on the World's Environment with a Full Meltdown.

MikeA

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

The series of events resulting from the earthquake is unquestionably one of the most horrific tragedies in recent memory. There don't seem to be many good stories coming out of Japan, and it seems like this may be destined to become the deadlist and costliest disaster ever. The magnitude is almost uncomprehensible and I can't even think of adequate words to describe it.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border tbs fanatic's Avatar

The nuclear sites sound scarier every day.

Yep, they've called in your guys I heard now.
    Melanie

It's difficult to follow because the 'melt-down' stories seem to change almost by the minute. They did say either lastnight or early this morning that IF there is a meltdown and the current winds prevail, it will blow west and (depending on sever) it could have an impact in mainland South Korea. The destruction and loss of life is almost incomprehensible and the radiation issue only magnifies the entire situation. My heart breaks for the people of Japan for all they've lost, and my prayers continue that the reactors will quiet down and further disaster can be averted. Mother Nature dealt them a one-two punch...they don't need any more.
    You were just too busy being FABULOUS....

Victim of Love

Yes - I've been trying to follow the nuclear situation too, but there's so many conflicting reports that it's hard to know what to think at this point. Sadly, I think the news will not be good once it does become clear what has happened.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

It wasn't a one-two punch...it was more like a one-two-three with the quake, the tsunami and then the resulting nuclear threat.

I don't know how much of the reports to really believe. There has to be a lot of smoothing over of the radiation threat to prevent panic. Things are bad enough as they are without billions of people in that area of the world losing control. Though of all the peoples of the world, I think that those brothers and sisters in Japan are the least likely to panic. Their culture has taught them to react calmly in most any situation.

God how I feel for them!

MikeA

Reports here said there was a further 6.0 quake in Tokyo yesterday that killed 4 people, although it hadn't been confirmed. The death toll is now close to 3500 confirmed with many more still unaccounted for.

And snow / freezing cold is hampering the rescue mission in some affected areas on top of all of it. How much more can this poor country take.

Lots of foreign nationals have been advised to leave by their respective countries and many seem to be doing just that.
    Melanie

You're right, Mike, it was 1-2-3 but 1 and 2 were strictly Mother Nature while #3 was man-made. And you're right about their culture. I am constantly amazed as I watch the reports to see the resolve with which so many of them are handling the unknown and how accepting so many of them are of the loss of loved ones. While the rare stories of miracles (the 70-year-old woman and that newborn baby found alive in the rubble) want to give me a spark of hope, the numbers on the other side of the scale are staggering and it's alarming at how quickly that number is climbing. From the onset I knew the death toll was going to be incomprehensible for me.

Lastnight one of the reporters was talking about the lack of sufficient body bags, how the crews are trying to take pictures of the dead for identification purposes but decomp is making it difficult in many cases, and discussion was turning toward mass graves at this point. It dawned on me that in addition to the absence of housing, clothing, food and basic necessities, plus the radiation concerns, they also have to do whatever it takes to minimize disease born from the decomp. I simply cannot phathom the emotional/psychological toll it is taking. Throw in an unstable geological situation with the aftershocks and new quakes and the recipe is beyond disastrous.
    You were just too busy being FABULOUS....

Victim of Love

I thought of that before I posted "VOL" but the enormity of the repercussions from nuclear disaster up there on or above the quake and tsunami combined.

It's not immediate death attributed to radiation. I think Chernobyl only reported 55 deaths from that meltdown....but there were thousands upon thousands of cases of cancer attributed to that disaster. How much more densely populated is Japan than was the area around Chernobyl?

If those 5 plants do melt down, it might as well be genocide.

MikeA