Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Felder!

Default Felder!

For me The Eagles just isn't The Eagles without Don Felder. They wouldn't have had Hotel California without him. And it's doubtful the group would have become what they are without that song.

So, here's to the rocking guitar that made The Eagles The Eagles!

Default Re: Felder!

I don't think I'd carry it quite that far Gus, but Don definitely did place his stamp on their transitional and subsequently on their Rock sound. And, they are carrying on without him now though truth be known, I'd much rather that he was with them than "without" them. A shame it turned out the way it did.

MikeA

Hey - if Van Halen can reunite with David Lee Roth, The Eagles could reunite with Felder.

I think that a Felder/Eagles reunion would be Highly Unlikely if not Impossible due to the settlement made a few years ago. Too much Dirty Laundry.

Now what I'm wondering is this: Walsh is a hired gun with Eagles. He's coming out with a new CD according to innuendos Joe has made. Walsh and Felder have done work together outside of Eagles bookings so why not get Joe and Don together and fuse a few strings?

MikeA

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Well said Milke. ITA. While all seven members have each made their special contributions to the band which I appreciate immensely, I don't believe any of them are solely responsible for the Eagles being the Eagles.

And as Mike said, it is a shame that things turned out the way they did with Felder. But I always jokingly say - I think hell would have to freeze over about three more times before we'll ever see a Felder reunion.

However, I am eagerly anticipating the release of his solo album later this year. (And Joe's too)

ETA: I may be wrong about this, but I've gotten the impression from Felder's book and interviews that he is not on friendly terms with any of the current members of the band.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

I don't think that he's so much "mad" at Joe as he is disappointed. From Felder's perspective, Joe didn't respond to his attempts at contact the way Don thought he should have. it was Felder I think that had Joe's back when he checked into rehab at one point and Don didn't think it appropriate for Joe not to back him to the hilt.

What we don't know is how binding prohibition of Joe's involvement with Felder was as dictated by the almost certain legal proceedings following the termination. Joe was in a very precarious situation!

I would like to think that things have mellowed out enough between them to allow a production of some astounding sonic events! That type presentation would definitely be defined as "ART" and should not at this time be dictated by the business model set by the other Band and its management that Joe is involved with today.

I think that there is at least a possibility that it could happen, though I've heard absolutely no speculation prior to this discussion on the subject.

MikeA

Quote Originally Posted by MikeA View Post
    Walsh and Felder have done work together outside of Eagles bookings so why not get Joe and Don together and fuse a few strings?
    That would be fantastic. Would almost be cooler than seeing the current Eagles lineup cause of how special it would be.

Felder's contributions were significant, that is without question. Felder made an indelible mark on the band, and his large contribution of the music to their most famous song "Hotel California" (although Joe Walsh claims some credit in helping him work out the guitar parts) is undeniable.

It is completely understandable that many miss Felder's presence; he is amazingly talented. I have had the pleasure of seeing a solo show of Felder's and he is a true guitar great. I must admit, however, that I found nothing lacking in the shows I attended sans Felder. I will say it is a little disconcerting to hear Felder's parts duplicated so exactly by a guy who is not even a member of the band (Steuart Smith). You half expect to see Felder over there.

However, I think he came along a bit too late to "make the Eagles the Eagles." Not everyone is aware of this, but Felder was not a founding member of the band.

It is too bad Felder had to leave in such an ignominious fashion. Oh well, Felder himself has said that perhaps it was for the best that he is no longer a member of the Eagles. He gets to spend more time with his family and make new music on his own. He says his new album will come out soon and I look forward to it.
    Here's to Don Felder's contributions to the Eagles.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Oh, almost forgot - regarding Joe - I believe he and Felder have mended fences. At the time Felder wrote his book, that wasn't the case, but since then Joe has complimented Felder in a couple interviews and said he missed playing with him. I seem to recall that Felder said they are now on good terms. It would be cool to hear him on Joe's new album.

ETA: Found the interview where Felder speaks about making up with Joe but the site says it is down for maintenance. Anyway, my post about it is here.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Here is my .02c on it, from a guitarist's perspective... Just my opinion here.

Felder is a GREAT guitar player. Very, very underrated IMO. I love his guitar licks and his style, technique, and tone. I also think he brought a LOT of good things to the Eagles, including my favorite song of all time (Hotel California). He without a doubt made significant contributions to the band, no denying it.

I also think it is a darn shame that it "went down the way it did". I, too, miss Felder. I have seen the band post-Felder (I didn't get a chance to see them with Felder) and I have to say, it was still a really enjoyable concert for me. Stu (Steuart Smith) is a great guitarist too, who can copy Felder's licks note for note, but even I will admit, even though it's note for note, that tone and soul of Felder's playing style is still missed for me. But again, I loved the concert and is without a doubt the best concert I've ever been too. I didn't dwell on Felder not being there. But of course I would have loved to see them with Felder on the HFO tour. I would have loved that. But I enjoyed my show.

I have full intentions of catching a Felder solo show when he comes to Central Illinois. I would love to get his autograph and talk guitars with him for a bit. He is a true guitar god. Just like my personal favorite Eagle, Joe Walsh. Joe is my favorite guitarist of all time and my personal hero for guitar and life. Joe Walsh (and Felder to a degree) is the reason I started playing guitar and even played in an Eagles tribute band for almost 3 years. I sorely miss that band.

That is my own opinion on Felder. He is an amazing guitarist, no doubt. I DO miss him with the Eagles, but I can't go as far to say they are nothing without him, as I've seen a show post-Felder and while I missed his style and tone, the concert was the best I've been too. Again, I didn't get to see a show with Felder but I really enjoyed the concert I went to. But I agree, it would be great if Felder could rejoin the Eagles, but as others have said, that will be when Hell Freezes Over 3 or more times I'm afraid. It was a bitter ending and unfortunately that bridge has been burned I'm afraid. I don't see it happening.

Just a guitar player's opinion on Felder and his contributions to the Eagles.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."