Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Felder!

Default Re: Felder!

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    Don Felder was great, but let us not underestimate the guitar contributions from the other fellows.
    I don't think there is much danger of that Chaim. Glenn isn't noted as being a Guitar God...and maybe he isn't. But he is one very accomplished guitar player who stepped back and let the spotlight shine on Bernie, Don and Joe. A guitar to Glenn was just another tool of his trade and that trade was more centered on composition and production. His vocals didn't hurt any either.

Much to my discredit, I never saw Bernie while he was with the Eagles. The first show I saw was one of the first stops on the "Hotel California" tour in Wichita. At that time, Joe was the new kid on the block and he and Felder were swapping licks.

They were pretty good <LOL>

MikeA

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by MikeA View Post
    I don't think there is much danger of that Chaim. Glenn isn't noted as being a Guitar God...and maybe he isn't. But he is one very accomplished guitar player who stepped back and let the spotlight shine on Bernie, Don and Joe. A guitar to Glenn was just another tool of his trade and that trade was more centered on composition and production. His vocals didn't hurt any either.

Much to my discredit, I never saw Bernie while he was with the Eagles. The first show I saw was one of the first stops on the "Hotel California" tour in Wichita. At that time, Joe was the new kid on the block and he and Felder were swapping licks.

They were pretty good <LOL>
    Yep, I'd say that Glenn definitely is not a "guitar god", but he has played many important parts on Eagles songs. As has Bernie. Take the song "The long run" for example. When I first heard it years ago, the first thing I remember noticing was Glenn's "---da-chikachika-daada" rhythm part (I can't describe it in words really ). I didn't know who was playing it. Then of course you notice Joe's slide work. I don't think many people first pay attention to Felder's organ part, which basically doubles Glenn's rhythm part.
    But like I said, when someone here says that he/she thinks the band is not really the same without Don Felder, there's actually some thought behind it, because he/she knows, at least to some degree, which parts on all those songs are his. But I bet that most of those "yeah yeah Felder yeah!!!" guitar people on YouTube don't have a clue which parts were Don's, which ones were Bernie's etc.
    I don't remember who started this thread, but he/she made it clear that it was his/her opinion that the band is not the same without him. And also, I think it was just a warm-hearted gesture to bring up Don's important contribution and not to say that he actually was the band. So it's a good thread.
    By the way, I envy anyone who saw the band in the 70's!
    Last edited by chaim; 03-20-2011 at 02:38 PM.

You do have to be fair when discussing this thread though. The Band is not the same after Bernie left. Nor was it the same after Felder left. Both brought their "A Game" to the group and at the time they were Eagles, they helped define the group.

Bernie was there during the Country Rock era and then Felder was brought in to give the Eagles a harder edge in their transition into Rock with less emphasis on Country. Bernie really didn't want to make the switch into full out Rock. But with Felder hanging on the wires, they were off on that switch. Joe coming onboard in '76 or maybe a little earlier just put a lot of icing on the cake.

But you still hear a lot of those Country beginnings in later releases. I'm not sure where that comes from. Don Henley I presume.

MikeA