#4 Hotel California
    #5 Desperado
    #6 The Long Run
    #7 Eagles
    "For the record, we never broke up, we just took a 14-year vacation!"
    (Glenn Frey)

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Default Re: Favorite Eagles Studio Albums

It seems I was the one that started the thread Dreamer referred to and here's what I put, tho I didn't actually rank them in order.

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyBFan
    OK --Since I started this I should explain a little of why.

I bet for the most part each one of us, when the survivor game is all said and done, will have several different albums we will be trying to save and probably about 1000 different reasons on why. For me there are 2 defining albums - Long Run and LROOE.

I can remember hearing Take It Easy on the radio back in the early 70s and immediately loving it. Of course once I got that single, it lead to the album and the rest, as they say, is history. LOVED everything on that album. Will admit Nightingale and Earlybird didn't do to much for me but I can honestly say it was one of those albums I would play thru more than not, instead of playing only 1 or 2 of the hits on it like you do with most albums.

Again, like Mike said, loved all the albums as they came out and had several songs on each that I really enjoyed, probably the same that most of you do. BUT when HC came out, I was like everyone else! WOW!!!! I actually bought it 2 or 3 times because I wore it out. I wasn't easy on my albums-sorry to say now! Besides they had this new cool guitarist named Joe Walsh that I was mighty fond of.

But when Long Run came out a few years later it quickly became my favorite. And no, not only because of the new bass player, even tho like I've said before I can remember opening that gatefold and getting my first look at him!! I just remember loving every song on this album. ALL OF THEM!! My favorite was ICTYW but I also remember playing KOH over and over and over. I even remember dancing around my room to Disco Strangler and lets face it Greeks is a catchy little tune also. And for some reason, Teenage Jail really struck me as a great song. Most everyone else was listening to Donny Osmond or something and I was going on and on about this album. Most of my friends thought I was nuts. I just always kinda thought this would always be my favorite Eagles album.

LROOE just happen to come out at just the right time in my life. As clique as it may sound, this album came to me just when I needed it most. I really love the music---every last song on it (some a lot more than others) but it happen to come out when my life seemed to be spiralling out of control with things that I had absolutely no control over. What better way to make things a little better than an album coming out after 27 years from the band you had worshipped for basically your whole life. I had preordered it and remember going to the post office and picking it up. I listened to both discs all the way thru not once but twice that first afternoon. Trip after trip after trip in my car taking care of everything I needed to do trying to keep things together at that time and for the next year as things just kept happening one thing after another with my loved ones--LROOE was one of the constant stable things for me. I spent many hours singing along to How Long and BBF, crying for no apparent reason when WITW or Do Something would come on, and dancing in the drivers seat to Fast Company or Guilty of The Crime. Top it off--this is the tour that I finally got to see them at. It just will always be the favorite Eagles album for me.

For me, it's not just about the music always. I have always had sentimental reasons for loving the music I do also. Maybe silly, but that's just the way it is for me. It's a much bigger picture sometimes.
    And since I didn't actually rank them---here's how it goes:

1. The Long Run
    2. Long Road Out Of Eden
    3. One Of These Nights
    4.Hotel California
    5. On The Border
    6. Eagles
    7. Desperado
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    Here's what I thought back in January of 2007!

#1- Desperado. I just love the whole album. The only song I don't love is Bitter Creek and I can listen to it without skipping it. Very favorite song overall is Desperado and I wish Don would sing it like he used to and not be so dramatic with it.

#2-Hotel California. I love every song on it, but it only has 8, so Desperado beats it out with 11 songs. Favorite overall song is HC.

#3-On the Border. I love 6 of the 10 songs on this one. You Never Cry like a Lover and Midnight Flyer I don't care for and My Man and On the Border are just ok. Two favorites here, Already Gone (rocks) and Best Of My Love (Don's soulful voice).

Note-I like YNCLAL and OTB better now. And AG needs to be played in concert!

#4-One of These Nights. 5 songs I love here, OOTN, Hollywood Waltz, Lyin' Eyes, Take it to the Limit, and After the Thrill is Gone. The others, I don't care for at all. Overall favorite-OOTN-that raspy voice again! And that air intake he does-

#5-Eagles. 4 wonderful songs for me on this one, Take It Easy-the anthem, Witchy Woman, Peaceful Easy Feeling, and Tryin. 4 are ok, Nightingale, Train Leaves Here This Morning, Chug All Night ( ), and Take the Devil. I skip Most of Us Are Sad, and Earlybird. (The chirping drives me crazy!) Most favorite is Take It Easy! I just love the very first chords and it's a feel good song. Glenn's voice on PEF is soooooo sweet, too, and I fell in love with Don's voice on Witchy Woman back in the day! I thought off the top of my head this would be my favorite album, but when I actually counted the favorite songs here's where it wound up! Who knew?!

#6-The Long Run. I knew off the top of my head this was my least favorite album, but when I tallied them up, it almost tied with #5! But it has more songs on it that I skip! It's my least played album. I love The Long Run, ICTYW, In the City, and Heartache Tonight. I won't go in to the others since were doing the game in the other thread! My overall favorite here is Heartache Tonight. Love Glenn's "break my heart" part!

I'm going to have to think this over and see if I still feel the same way! I was already shocked that Desperado was my #1 pick!
    Yeah, I'm shocked, but after thinking about it my list from then still stands!

I guess I'd add LROOE last. Even though there are several songs on it I love like WITW, COTU, and Somebody. I could make a one cd album from all the songs on the two.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Very interesting everyone!!!
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Here is my list, I must probably be the only one to choose The Long Run as first favourite but that's it! Maybe I'll be able to add a few comments later, now just the list:

1. The Long Run
    2. Hotel California
    3. On The Border
    4. Desperado
    5. One of these nights
    6. THe Eagles
    7. The Long Road Out of Eden
    Silvia

Stuck on the Border tequila girl's Avatar

I'm afraid there's absolutely no way I could make a list.........I think I loved each of them equally as they were released - that's not to say I love every song on every album - I don't ...but when i'm in an "Eagley Mood" I tend to put on everything I have and listen to them all - in no particular order
    ~Carole~

There is no more new frontier - we have got to make it here

I can't even begin to "rank" the Eagles Albums objectively. When I flip on my tunes, I have them set to play randomly and there are very few that I skip.

But I wanted to comment on Brooke's statement about Bitter Creek. That is one of my very favorite Eagles songs <LOL>. But then I like everything on the Desperado album. EVERYTHING! Part of that is the theme nature of it but more than that, it is the musicality of that underrated album that reaches out and grabs me.

I just can't choose between Desperado and Hotel California as to which one is my favorite. I try to be honest with myself and waiver between choosing on what I like best based on the individual songs and Hotel California would take it because of "Hotel California" the song, and the two of Joe's that are on that album.

"Desperado" takes it for the most songs on one album that I like...there simply isn't a single song on that album that I don't like! On Hotel California, I can do without "New Kid in Town". Don't ask me why. It just doesn't trip my switch.

Following HC and Desperado:

I'd probably jumble the rest of the albums in there all pretty much tied for 3rd place maybe with Long Run taking a very slight edge because of "Disco Strangler"...not that I like the song but it just reminds me of how much I didn't like DISCO <LOL>.

The bottom of my list of Eagles releases would be LROE. I just have never gotten into that "release".

MikeA

Stuck on the Border tequila girl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MikeA View Post
    The bottom of my list of Eagles releases would be LROE. I just have never gotten into that "release".
    Mike a while back I would have agreed with you on that........but I suppose because it was a "new" one I listened over & over again and now i love it just as much as the others!
    ~Carole~

There is no more new frontier - we have got to make it here

This is all very interesting!

But if one thing shocks me the most and I can't lie - it's that how many people like the Desperado album! Not that there is anything wrong with people liking it but I just can't click with it at all. It is in my opinion their worst album and by that I mean the one that ranks the very least. But it is the most "country" of all of their albums IMO and I'm not a country fan at all. It's gotta have rock in it for me to like it. Hence why I like On The Border and the albums after it better. Desperado seems like straightforward country music. I'm just a rock guy and would rather crank it and listen to the Hotel California album and play "Life In The Fast Lane" or listen to The Long Run and play "Heartache Tonight". It's just my personality I guess. I like more straightforward Classic Rock. But that's what I like to listen to and what I pretty much grew up hearing in the house. My parents are both rock music people, my Mom preferring 80s hard rock and Dad preferring 70s stuff.

I just can't imagine anyone liking Desperado and not liking Hotel California. Hotel California is "the" Eagles album that really launched them to another level IMO. It also is the signature Eagles song. Whenever I mention the Eagles to someone, the first thing they talk about is HC. I for one appreciated the move from country rock to more classic rock with the release of Hotel California and addition of Joe Walsh and DEFINITELY on The Long Run. But I'm a rock lover and country fans may not feel the same! That's understandable. But it's just a little shocking to me!
    Last edited by WalshFan88; 03-23-2011 at 10:16 PM.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    I just can't imagine anyone liking Desperado and not liking Hotel California.
    I don't recall anyone saying that.
    So if you see me walking all alone, don't look back. I'm just on my way back home.