Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Eagles Studio Albums

Default Re: Favorite Eagles Studio Albums

I haven't had a chance to read this whole thread, but like other veterans I'll repost mine:

----------------

1. Desperado - it's the only Eagles album where I thoroughly enjoy every single song. The songs are stupendous, but none of them are my absolute favorites. However, in terms of ranking albums, the combined strength of the songs as a cohesive unit both thematically and sonically puts this at the top for me. It has a great range of emotion - compare Out of Control and Saturday Night, for instance - but it all works together seamlessly. It really is almost cinematic in the way it unfolds and I never feel the urge to hit the button to go to the next song. I especially love the way they merged Desperado and Doolin-Dalton in the Reprise. Genius.

2. On the Border - I like every song on this one, too, except for You Never Cry Like a Lover which annoys me as a woman. "If she's not crying like a lover maybe YOU need to try a little harder, buddy" I want to say, lol. I love the interplay between the bandmates - Glenn and Don sharing vocals on Good Day in Hell, the way all the band members blend for Midnight Flyer. The Best of My Love is gorgeous and Already Gone is wonderfully defiant, almost anthemic. James Dean is a fun song, and Ol' 55 is absolutely beautiful. I know they didn't write it, but Glenn and Don's vocals work together perfectly to convey the mood of the song. Bernie's My Man is incredibly moving, and while Is It True isn't very deep it's got a nice melody. Ironically, I wasn't initially too fond of the title track - it was obviously a "message" song but I couldn't take it seriously with lyrics like 'foolin' with my baby on the telephone.' However, it's grown on me, and I've come to appreciate the song's lyrics so much that I named the board for it.

3. Hotel California - here's where I start to deviate from popular opinion. For me, this album and its title track is a teeny bit overrated. However, when taken as a whole, like Desperado, the album presents a sophisticated cohesion that I admire. I adore Pretty Maids All in a Row and NKIT, and the rest of the songs are all very strong, although I admit I find The Last Resort off-putting in its self-righteous preachiness. Despite that, it's a pretty melody. I originally had HC as second, but as I was doing the write up for OTB, I realized that it was more fun to listen to OTB than HC, so HC got knocked down a slot. Still, they're very close.

4. Long Road Out of Eden - Not the best, but not their worst either. While it does contains some stinkers like Frail Grasp and Fast Company, it has incredible songs like What Do I Do with My Heart and Waiting in the Weeds that stack up to their best work. Plus, the fact that it's a double album gives us more to love!

5. Eagles - despite the fact that they were just getting started, I like this better than some of their later works. I think Most of Us Are Sad is one of the Eagles' most underrated songs. Of course, Take It Easy and Peaceful Easy Feeling are magnificent. I also like Witchy Woman, though not as well as most. I always thought it sounded a bit cheesy, although I like it more now than I used to. After hearing live versions, I have also come to appreciate what I once ridiculed, Chug All Night. I also think Train Leaves Here This Morning is good, although the other tracks are pretty forgettable.

6. One of These Nights - good, but uneven. I know Glenn considers this the Eagles' best album, but I just can't agree with him. It contains my all-time favorite Eagles song, Take It to the Limit, and other terrific tracks like Lyin' Eyes, Too Many Hands, and After the Thrill is Gone. Unlike many, I find Journey of the Sorcerer, Visions, and I Wish You Peace listenable and in fact, I admire Bernie for trying something different with JOTS. Still, they're not going to find my way onto any "Best of Eagles" mix CD I make for myself. I am also one of the few who was never overly impressed with the title track (which Glenn has said is one of his best songs - makes me feel guilty but oh well!) I used to think it was really dated-sounding. Seeing it live made me appreciate it, but it will never be a favorite. Hollywood Waltz is OK, but a little boring.

7. The Long Run - even more uneven and containing some of the worst Eagles music ever released, IMHO. (Here's where I get REALLY controversial! lol) It has moments of brilliance: Heartache Tonight, Those Shoes, I Can't Tell You Why. Unfortunately, those are outweighed by moments that make me cringe. To me, Disco Strangler and Teenage Jail are so awful that they make my ears bleed. The Greeks Don't Want No Freaks and King of Hollywood also don't appeal to me. I do enjoy The Long Run, In the City, and The Sad Cafe, but I've never considered them standout Eagles tracks, and they can't save the album for me. Of course, it's all subjective.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post

7. The Long Run - even more uneven and containing some of the worst Eagles music ever released, IMHO. (Here's where I get REALLY controversial! lol) It has moments of brilliance: Heartache Tonight, Those Shoes, I Can't Tell You Why. Unfortunately, those are outweighed by moments that make me cringe. To me, Disco Strangler and Teenage Jail are so awful that they make my ears bleed. The Greeks Don't Want No Freaks and King of Hollywood also don't appeal to me. I do enjoy The Long Run, In the City, and The Sad Cafe, but I've never considered them standout Eagles tracks, and they can't save the album for me. Of course, it's all subjective.
    I'll say it once again, isn't it funny how we can have the same common interest that has brought us all to this place but yet differ so much on our opinion of what we feel is the best and worse of their music? She has completely trashed my favorite Eagles album! But yet I still love her!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyBFan View Post
    I'll say it once again, isn't it funny how we can have the same common interest that has brought us all to this place but yet differ so much on our opinion of what we feel is the best and worse of their music? She has completely trashed my favorite Eagles album! But yet I still love her!
    Definitely! It's all very interesting!
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyBFan View Post
    lol! Ditto!

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I have to say as I read through this and other similar threads on this board that I never cease to be amazed about the varying opinions about the Eagles' music. I think it just goes to show that this band recorded something for just about everyone's taste. I guess it's no wonder that this band has such mass appeal. It's just hard to find a lot of people that don't like at least a few Eagles' songs.

For me personally, there isn't any Eagles song that I really dislike. Truth is, there aren't probably more than a handful that I don't like alot. I stated earlier that I would take issue with anyone who said that any of the Eagles albums are bad, and it got me to wondering if I am the only one who thinks that.

As I look back at the way I ranked the albums, I realized that the ones that I ranked lowest are the three that I think are the band's most uneven albums - One of These Nights, The Long Run, and Eagles. Each of these have some really great songs on them, but they also contain what I consider to be the band's weakest songs.

I'm interested to hear others thoughts about which, if any, of the albums you would consider to be uneven or dare I say it - bad.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    I have to say as I read through this and other similar threads on this board that I never cease to be amazed about the varying opinions about the Eagles' music. I think it just goes to show that this band recorded something for just about everyone's taste. I guess it's no wonder that this band has such mass appeal. It's just hard to find a lot of people that don't like at least a few Eagles' songs.

For me personally, there isn't any Eagles song that I really dislike. Truth is, there aren't probably more than a handful that I don't like alot. I stated earlier that I would take issue with anyone who said that any of the Eagles albums are bad, and it got me to wondering if I am the only one who thinks that.

As I look back at the way I ranked the albums, I realized that the ones that I ranked lowest are the three that I think are the band's most uneven albums - One of These Nights, The Long Run, and Eagles. Each of these have some really great songs on them, but they also contain what I consider to be the band's weakest songs.

I'm interested to hear others thoughts about which, if any, of the albums you would consider to be uneven or dare I say it - bad.
    Definitely Dreamer!

They have "flirted" with so many different kinds of music from blues to country to rock to RnB/Soul and everything in between. There is songs or an album for everybody.

As far as Eagles albums go, I really do like them all except for Desperado. But I won't and never said it was bad. But for me and what my ears like to hear - Desperado doesn't do much for me. I like the title track, but the rest of the album doesn't do much for me. It would rate it at the very bottom if we were rating Best Eagles Studio Album, but of course in this thread we are rating favorites. Either way, it's on the bottom of my list. But it isn't bad whatsoever. There are plenty of people that get off on the that album. I am one of the strange few that don't. I'm sure some feel the same way about Hotel or LROOE or whatever. And that's fine. But I AM shocked at how many people like it. Again, it just goes to show that the band has something for everybody and it's always interesting to see how everyone has very different likes and dislikes! It's all good though. I own Desperado (as well as every other Eagles album) but it doesn't get played hardly at all. But that's just my tastes. I'm glad everyone posted their favorites, it's very intersting to me!
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I'd have to agree with you there, dreamer. I would, first of all off the top of my head say I love all of their albums and they are all great.

I really wouldn't say any of their albums are bad, but there are a few songs I really don't care for and skip when they come up to play. Those would be some that have already been mentioned by others. To refresh you, Teenage Jail, Visions, Earlybird (if I can get past that pesky bird chirpping I might listen to the rest!), Midnight Flyer, Greeks, and, don't hurt me now, I Love To Watch A Woman Dance (shudder!). Sorry to all that like those songs, but different strokes for different folks! They just aren't my cup of tea!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border

None of the albums are bad and I don't skip any songs. But by far their most uneven album to me is One Of These Nights. Take away the Big Three and what are you left with? Not very much. It is probably the most 'democratic' album in that each member is given a chance to shine but the non Henley-Frey songs in my opinion are not up to standard (TITTL is Henley-Frey-Meisner) and there is even a Henley-Frey song, After The Thrill Is Gone, which has always left me cold.

The next most 'uneven' album is Eagles where Earlybird, Tryin' & Take The Devil are not great songs (and I know some will say Chug All Night). I am harsh on Take The Devil because I like it better than I used to.

I cannot agree with Soda that The Long Run is uneven. Most of it is outstanding except for Teenage Jail & Greeks; and I enjoy Greeks. I just don't think The Disco Strangler is the monstrosity that Soda thinks it is; it's 'edgy'. I do wish however that Glenn had more vocals than he has. After Hotel California some sort of effort should have been made to correct the overwhelming dominance of Henley on that album; it was made, but not taken far enough. Half of Teenage Jail & a falsetto part in King Of Hollywood is not much of an 'increase'. But that isn't really a comment on the quality of the songs. I should say that I am not a great fan of In The City (runs & hides) or the title track.

There are tracks on Desperado that aren't as good (I hope we do a Desperado Survivor soon) but they are really only Twenty-One and Saturday Night. I love the rest of it.

From On The Border the only 'weaker' songs are Is It True, Midnight Flyer & You Never Cry Like A Lover. I am not, however, all that crazy about Best Of My Love even after finally seeing it live.

Long Road Out Of Eden contains virtually no weak spots. I have three 'least favourites' which are Fast Company, I Don't Want To Hear Any More & Guilty Of The Crime. The rest of it is outstanding.

I can only say about Hotel California that there is one song which I have grown a bit tired of; that is Wasted Time & to some extent perhaps I could say The Last Resort.
    Last edited by Freypower; 03-28-2011 at 06:36 PM.

A "bad" album to me is one I don't enjoy listening to, and I enjoy listening to every Eagles album. The worst of the Eagles is still better than the best of most groups.

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    A "bad" album to me is one I don't enjoy listening to, and I enjoy listening to every Eagles album. The worst of the Eagles is still better than the best of most groups.
    Except for Disco Strangler, right!