Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: Favorite Eagles Studio Albums

Border Troubadour

Default Re: Favorite Eagles Studio Albums

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Come Lately View Post
    ... how the story of the Doolin-Dalton gang is weaved into the songs, often quite subtly. ...
    I know the four of them were talented, but I doubt any of them could write songs about a gang that never existed! Doolin's Wild Bunch was born out of the demise of the Dalton Gang, and included a certain George Newcomb, better known as Bitter Creek.

Ok here are my fav's.

On The Border- Just love the rock out tunes.......
    Desperado- Soulful ballads and 21 is a theme song of mine.
    Eagles-The early works to good to forget.
    One Of These Nights-Title tune rocks--
    Hotel CA- Honestly can't say I love this one Except Try and Love again........And Life In The Fast Lane. Who doesn't love a badass song.

So Put Me On A Highway And Show Me A Sign
    And Take It To The Limit One More Time..............

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Thanks for the correction tlr! You are of course right Glad to see you again by the way). I really can't defend my mistake here, I will say though that I think Bitter Creek is one of the songs that most cleverly alludes to the real life gang as it makes a double meaning out of Newcomb's name.

Since this thread was bumped I've been keeping track of everyone's lists with the intention of making a table showing the relative popularity of each of the albums and to be able to rank them. My aim is basically to take into account every complete or near complete list of the studio albums to try to determine which albums Borderers love most. I can't take into account lists if the order isn't clear, or those which are missing several albums. However, if you've only excluded one album (I suspect this is most likely to be for people who have listened to all of the 1970s albums, but not LROOE) then I'd be happy to include such a list. If enough people post usable lists (I'd say probably 20 is enough to give a decent sample size, and we are some of the way there already) then I will post this overall list. I won't be using the older lists from this thread, as I don't think this is fair (I am conscious people's opinions may have changed over time) although if you posted one back then and feel your opinion hasn't changed sufficiently to produce a new one, please say so and I can then include it in my data.

For anyone who choses to include live albums, I hope you don't mind but I will leave these out as I am aware that the thread title concerns studio albums but more importantly most people so far haven't included them and therefore I don't think it would give meaningful results. Personally I only ever listen to live albums or songs by my favourite bands so I don't tend to listen to live performances critically and therefore most often I don't really like to rate them as I do with studio music, so I commend anyone who does this for being able to rank them!

JCL, you're so thorough! Thank you for going to all that trouble.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Here's what I thought back in January of 2007 and it still stands, pretty much.

#1- Desperado. I just love the whole album. Every song!

#2-Hotel California. I love every song on it, but it only has 8, so Desperado beats it out with 11 songs. Favorite overall song is HC.

#3-On the Border. I love 6 of the 10 songs on this one. Two favorites here, Already Gone (rocks) and Best Of My Love (Don's soulful voice).

#4-One of These Nights. 5 songs I love here, OOTN, Hollywood Waltz, Lyin' Eyes, Take it to the Limit, and After the Thrill is Gone. Overall favorite-OOTN-that raspy voice again! And that air intake he does....

#5-Eagles. 4 wonderful songs for me on this one, Take It Easy-the anthem, Witchy Woman, Peaceful Easy Feeling, and Tryin. Most favorite of all time is Take It Easy! I just love the very first chords and it's a feel good song. Glenn's voice on PEF is soooooo sweet, too, and I fell in love with Don's voice on Witchy Woman back in the day! I thought off the top of my head this would be my favorite album, but when I actually counted the favorite songs here's where it wound up! Who knew?!

#6-The Long Run. I knew off the top of my head this was my least favorite album, but when I tallied them up, it almost tied with #5! It's my least played album. I love The Long Run, ICTYW, In the City, and Heartache Tonight. My overall favorite here is Heartache Tonight. Love Glenn's "break my heart" part!

#7. Long Road Out of Eden. I love some of the songs on it, Long Road, Somebody, Waiting in the Weeds, and Center of the Universe, but it just doesn't have the history with me that the old ones do. I would have been happy with a single disc cd.

Thanks for your awesome review of the albums, too, JCL!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

I like all of them. Sorry, I'm crap at ranking things.

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    I like all of them. Sorry, I'm crap at ranking things.
    NMB, totes agree.

It's all in your smile that brings
    All of the special things about you

Out on the Border Rocky Mountain Way's Avatar
    Standin' on a corner in Denver, Colorado...

1. Hotel California - A masterpiece. I'm in love with every track. 'The Last Resort' is one of the greatest songs I've ever heard.

2. The Long Run - A rough album with some big highlights. 'The Sad Cafe', 'I Can't Tell You Why', 'Heartache Tonight', 'Those Shoes', 'In The City' and the title track are really great songs. I even like 'The Disco Strangler' and 'The King of Hollywood', odd though they are. The other two tracks are terrible.

3. On The Border - Good highlights. Half good. Most of the non-hit album tracks are so-so.

4. One of These Nights - Same deal as Border. I love the hits and 'Hollywood Waltz' is really underrated. The rest is meh.

5. Desperado - Great hits, one or two nice album tracks ('Saturday Night' is incredible), the rest is mediocre.

6. Eagles - Great hits, a few nice lesser known things. Noticing a pattern?

I've never listened to Long Road Out of Eden before, so I'll have to get back to you on that one. I think I was so angry with the band when they fired Felder that I decided to take a break from the Eagles for awhile, as such, I skipped Eden with every intention to hear it at some point, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.
    "Can't wait to tell you all what it's like up there. They called it paradise, I don't know why.
    Somebody laid the mountains low, while the town got high." - Colorado in a nutshell.

Out on the Border
    Some sort of inn.. A monkey wearing a fancy scarf above me.. I’ll just order some wine I guess

1. Hotel California. Wow, so original. I mean, this beats the greatest hits albums of most other bands! This is their most consistent album, as without exception, all the songs are great. It includes my favorite Randy Meisner song, as well as a soft song that no one can do better than Joe (never imagined this was possible but it is!) And there’s lots of variety, too, as it goes from Life in the Fast Lane to The Last Resort. New Kid in Town has always been one of Glenn’s best and the reprise of Wasted Time really takes the actual song up a notch. And I haven’t even mentioned the title track yet, which is THE example of an iconic rock song for me. Sgt. Pepper and Pet Sounds are usually mentioned as the greatest albums in music history, right, albums without “filler” songs. Well, Hotel California belongs up there too.
    2. Long Road Out of Eden. Isn’t it just great how this one is respectively high on most lists? It shows class is permanent. The absolute highlight is Waiting in the Weeds, my favorite song, with Tim’s backing vocals that blend perfectly with Henley's and those wonderful harmonies that nobody can do better than the Eagles. The title track is over 10 minutes long, but it hasn't bored me a second yet. Every time the song starts to play it sends me to a desert at sunset, that’s why I think the album cover is perfectly chosen. Furthermore I like How Long (it’s great how Don and Glenn sing alternately), NMCD (a way better version of The Girl From Yesterday), Somebody, LGTIT, BBF, BAU, COTU, WDIDWMH (even the short form is still long…) AND a song that I think most would tie with The Disco Strangler as their worst song (I’ve heard even Don himself doesn’t like it so much): Fast Company (which bears similarities to Frail Grasp in my opinion). Another good thing: LROOE is long, which means, more songs, yay. There’s a bunch of political statements and you can hear so much influence on almost every song from Don Henley, while Stuart Smith is doing a great job as well. Side notes: there’s not enough rock and not enough Joe.
    3. The Long Run. Oh! Everyone’s disappointment album is not that bad! King of Hollywood would already be enough proof, I even named my account after it. Other good songs are The Sad Café (I love the sax), ICTYW, Heartache Tonight, the title track… Oh and I LOVE the talkbox/bad ass song Those Shoes. This song in particular shows that the Eagles’ music got “darker” than before on this album, just like Teenage Jail, KOH and The Sad Café which is a darker successor of The Last Resort. Anyone with good music taste and common sense would say The Disco Strangler, Teenage Jail and The Greeks Don’t Want No Freaks bring the album down to Earth… But as I’m not one of them, I have to say they all clearly have some ugly parts in them, but also some good things, and they are overall ok, at least for me.
    4. On the Border. The top 3 is clear for me, but here's where it gets hard. So, On the Border. This album is so uneven. There's 3 songs on it that I don't really like, but it's held up by the others. Don and Glenn shine, while Bernie and Randy are less in the spotlights. It also marks the switch from country to rock, which I think paid off.
    5. One Of These Nights. An album that includes a song like One Of These Nights is instantly good, and I like both Randy songs too. And: Don Felder is singing here!
    6. Desperado. It feels wrong to have Desperado so low, but I'm more rock than country. However, Bernie Leadon made me love country (which is a great accomplishment) with his song Bitter Creek, which would be among my favorite Eagles tracks. The album is not bad (the title track and cowboy theme are cool), but includes some weaker songs too, so it's kind of a relief when I hear the first notes of Tequila Sunrise.
    7. The hits + Train Leaves Here This Morning are clearly better than the rest. Their best work clearly still had to come.

Glenn: Good evening, we're the Eagles from Los Angeles...
    Joe: Hey tell you what, if you got firecrackers, save 'em until you get home, lock yourself in the closet and light everything you got okay?
    Glenn: ... Thank you Joe!