View Poll Results: Do you enjoy going to rock concerts that have special effects and pyrotechnics?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it enhances the concert experience.

3 15.00%
  • Yes, but sometimes it distracts from the music.

9 45.00%
  • No, I just go to hear good music. I don't want all that other stuff.

8 40.00%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Poll: Do you enjoy going to rock concerts with special effects and pyrotechnics?

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Default Re: Poll: Do you enjoy going to rock concerts with special effects and pyrotechnics?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeA View Post
    First, do I really like their recorded music? If not, then I darn sure WILL NOT be going. I don't "collect concerts".appreciation.

Johnny Lang I'd love to see again.
    These 2 points got my attention. I discovered something a few years back when I attended a Styx concert that had Kansas as their opening act. Was never a Kansas fan. Of course I knew songs like Dust In The Wind and Carry On Wayward Son, etc... but had never even bought one of their albums.

That night, I was absolutely mesmerized by them and their sound! They were truly amazing! That lead singers voice was spot on, the violin was spectacular and the drums...WOW!!! At one point, can't tell you which song, but the drums crashed and it actually echoed and shook the whole theater. They could of played another hour and I would of been all kinds of happy. Have since, picked up a couple of their albums and once again, not impressed. I don't know why, but their live show was awesome and I would pay money to see them again.

And then Jonny Lang.....Awwwww Jonny---Love that man and his voice and his guitar and have since I first heard Lie To Me on the radio on my way to work one morning. I have all his cds, have watched everything I can on YouTube and have downloaded everything I can find on my Ipod and anxiously awaited for the moment I would finally get to one of his concerts. Found out he would be 1 hour away about a year ago, waited patiently and was able to get 3 2nd row tickets for us (my daughter is a fan also). Raved about him to my husband who really didn't know if he would like him, told him he would NOT be disappointed, etc.... Guess what---I walked out of there almost in tears because I was so disappointed. He came no where close to my expectations and apparently not to many others in the theater who repeatedly yelled at him to "sing the blues" as he went off on his "gospel" sounding "amens" and such. It was a blues concert with several other blues bands so even tho I knew he had also gone gospel, I expected him to be all blues for this one. My poor husband even actually fell asleep. I hope it was just an off night and will gladly go see him again if I get the chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower
    There's no shame in it; neither is there any shame in being a fan and wishing for some spontaneity. Contrary to what they seem to think, spontaneity would bring them closer to their fans.
    Got that right!! I really do wish they would speak a bit more and be a bit off the cuff at times. Most fans don't know them like we all here do so I guess they figure what the heck--let's keep telling the same jokes. Personally, I say, mix it up a bit boys!

Quote Originally Posted by Prettymaid
    Mick Jagger's strut has never done anything for me, but then I've never been a Stones fan. I'm sure Mick never in his wildest dreams thought he'd still be strutting around onstage at 67, and I'll bet the Eagles never thought they'd still be touring into their 60's. But I feel the Eagles can still perform now just as they always have and look like the valid creative statesmen they have become, while Mick just starts looking....well, old.
    LOVED seeing them in concert and watching Mick run all over that stage, back and forth, up and down ramps. He was crazy! And still sounding as great as he always has! IMO---he's still got it. Did you happen to catch his performance at the Grammy's this year? AMAZING and not looking any older that some other musicians in their 60's. Check this out!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGevlZiQ0Oc[/ame]
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Default Re: Poll: Do you enjoy going to rock concerts with special effects and pyrotechnics?

I saw Jonny only once and that was a very brief set at Crossroads Guitar Festival on either Friday or Saturday night on a stage just outside the Vendors Building...not the main arena where the big all day concert took place (inside the Cotton Bowl). Jonny wasn't in that Sunday performance. When he played, it was only a couple of songs and I remember liking it a LOT...except that it was too short!

After reading what you posted Willie, I likely wouldn't spend the money going to one of his concerts. I wouldn't want to gamble on whether he'd be playing Blues or Gospel. I really dig his Blues...reminds me so much of SRV.

There is another performer who predates Jonny on going "Christian" with their music genre.

Back in the '60s, there was a group called "Glass Harp" who featured a guitarist/vocalist by the name of Phil Keaggy. Some thought him the best guitar player on the Planet. Ted Nugent went to him so he could learn a lick that Phil did that Ted couldn't replicate and he dearly wanted to learn it.

Anyway, not long after he started "Glass Harp" he got religion and stopped performing for quite a while. When he resumed, he played ONLY Christian Rock type music...most of it original compositions. I think he has loosened up a bit since 2000 and is now performing some Secular music again.

The guy really is amazing. There is a song on Youtube called "Salvation Army Band" that is acoustic. Phil performs it solo using a sequencer to record backing instrumental. He does a lot of that in his solo concerts.

Here's a couple of Youtube vids to get an idea as to what I'm talking about.

In this first one, he's doing "Here Comes The Sun".. Does it completely solo using loopers. He even sings into the sound hole of the guitar to loop vocals for harmony here....amazing!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPgbNl8H_gU&feature=related[/ame]

In this one, he is just tearing up a Les Paul with some amazing play. Note that he hold his pick sort of "funny". That's because he is missing the end of his middle finger. Pinched it off on an old well pump when he was a kid. Says it doesn't bother his playing any <LOL> Obviously NOT

On a Les Paul

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0T3to3DHLIE[/ame]

MikeA

By the way, this is a good thread. It should result is several people being gagged and banned from the Forum <LOL>

We're WAY OUT OF CONTROL.
    Last edited by MikeA; 03-24-2011 at 01:05 PM.

MikeA

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

But seriously folks - you'd think this was a discussion board or something!!!

No, but really seriously, this is an entertaining discussion. I've got to catch up on the last several posts though. Have to do that later when I get a little more time.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

It's all good IABAD...no blood yet.

MikeA

Quote Originally Posted by MikeA View Post
    It's all good IABAD...no blood yet.
    I actually thought this was a good discussion.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Me too Austin.

MikeA

Out on the Border tjrrockandrollmaster's Avatar

Pink Floyd were famous for theatrics. They may have gone on stage in T-shirts and jeans back in the day (sans The Wall Tour where they wore street clothes for much of the show sans the section in front of The Wall where David Gilmour, Nick Mason and Rick Wright wore short sleeve Hammer guard shirts with jeans and shoes/sneakers whilst Roger Waters had the leather trench coat and tall jack boots) and just stood/sat there but what other band had pigs fly over the audience (warthogs in 1994 jump from towers), inflatables, show films and wild animations, build and destroy a wall, had beds and planes crash into the stage and dramatic use of pyro.

I saw some 8 mm footage of the band from 1977 and those shows were superb.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

I can honestly say I've never seen this thread before and it popped up under New Posts. When I went to concerts all the time (in my early 20's) I went to a few that had a lot of special effects and pyrotechnics. Rush was the first concert I went to that used a lot of video in the background (early 80's here) and it was kind of necessary because a three man band with one behind drums and one on keyboards doesn't have a lot of visual things going on.

The thing that made me hate pyrotechnics was the front row seat I had for Neil Diamond. Not sure what happened, but I wore semi-hard gas-permeable contact lenses back then and my cornea got scratched. I remembered being nearly blinded to the point of pain from the unexpected light, but it was dark out afterwards and I don't remember a lot of problems. The next morning there was sunlight and it felt like someone stabbed me in the eye. I had to call off work, beg a ride to the eye doctor, and wear a patch over my eye for days. A few days later, doing laundry, I realized the clothes I'd worn to the concert smelled a little like gunpowder/fireworks. Several of the things had gone off within ten feet of me, they lined the front of the stage for Coming to America as the encore.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Out on the Border tjrrockandrollmaster's Avatar

Evolution of some of the Pink Floyd stage shows.

The 1973 Tour (recently found footage from Atlanta, GA when Dark Side of the Moon was released)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmOuPAmlOFM[/ame]

Here is some rare live Pink Floyd footage from Knebworth in 1975 at the end you see the mirror ball from the end of "Shine On". Why they never neither recorded nor filmed the 1975 and 1977 tours is a mystery.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8S5PtIa--go[/ame]

Then the 1977 European leg of the Animals tour.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLlJcH1DNXg[/ame]

Footage from the US leg where the flying pig explodes:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-tumi1y7-Q[/ame]

The Wall 1980 Earls Court:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngX5jJVrx8U[/ame]

Footage from the 1987 leg with flying pig:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYjGTBV2KMQ[/ame]

Fan shot footage from the 1994 US leg of The Division Bell Tour

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osyTMrmtez0[/ame]

An evolution of the band on stage. Through 1977, the band would not play the tracks the same and David Gilmour and Rick Wright would play solos differently night after night.