Page 39 of 40 FirstFirst ... 29353637383940 LastLast

Thread: Eagles Song Survivor: Desperado

Default Re: Eagles Song Survivor: Desperado

I'm not quite sure why that 3/4 time traditional Whomp-chew-chew beat doesn't seem to fit. The Eagles were doing a Western Country-Rock thing with Desperado and certainly that waltz beat is a HUGE part of that music. It is used a lot in that particular genre. I think it may be because the rest of the songs have such a more contemporary beat.

Now, I've messed with a lot of music based on 3/4...Take "House Of The Rising Sun" as an example...it isn't 3/4 but it is based on it....6/8 actually. If anyone has trouble "hearing" what I'm talking about, Sing the Church Hymn "Amazing Grace" but sing it to the tune of House of the Rising Sun. It fits that beat perfectly...like a glove. But the Original Amazing Grace is 3/4 waltz beat and that is what Saturday Night is.

Now, I'm quite sure that when arranging that song, Glenn (I assume that Glenn wrote it and arranged it) had some reason for keeping it in that beat instead of kicking it up to 6/8 which would have meshed into the rest of the beats on "Desperado" much better.

But that is MY TAKE on it. And believe me, I have nothing But Respect for the talent that Glenn has for arranging music. Henley may have the corner on lyrics, but it is Glenn who pulls it all together into a unified whole. Maybe Glenn was still discovering himself in those early years. OR maybe he accomplished exactly what he was after, but it sure made Saturday Night sort of stand away from the rest of the songs on the released album.

MikeA

Stuck on the Border tequila girl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MikeA View Post
    I cannot find anything in that post to contradict BBKron for I feel much the same way.

There was only ONE track on that entire album that I didn't think "fit" with the rest and that was more a matter of arrangement than anything to do with the song itself. The 3/4 Waltz of Saturday Night just felt out of place to me. And again, I emphasize that this is strictly a matter of personal preference.

Everything else about that song "fit" though...the lyrics certainly emphasized the "regret" of the protagonist in the song in not being able to pursue what others would call a "normal life".
    Not being a musician or dancer (apparently they work along the same lines!) I haven't quite got the hang of 3/4 - 6/8 time (or whatever) it has been explained by a very good friend who was a professional dancer (I guess I must be in some way musically challenged - but I know what I like!) I don't actually know why I started to post this....apart from to say "Saturday Night" is one of my favourites on the album!
    ~Carole~

There is no more new frontier - we have got to make it here

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Well - From a personal standpoint, one good thing about this round is that is has been made a lot easier for me to make my decision. I thought this was going to be an extremely close round - right down to the wire. But, I really need to stop trying to predict these games.

Anyway, I have put these two remaining songs through my own personal "best" test, but that didn't help me decide. As I said before, I think they are both amazing vocally and musically. I give a very slight edge to Desperado lyrically and a very slight edge to Tequila Sunrise melodically. None of my usual tiebreakers such as whether it was written by an Eagle or if it's a cover apply here. So, bottom line is, for me, it's a tie. But since voting for both is against the rules, I decided to even my own personal score. The first time we played this game, it was very close and I voted for Desperado, which ended up winning the game. So just to give Tequila Sunrise it's due ...

I cast my vote for Tequila Sunrise for the win!

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Quote Originally Posted by tequila girl View Post
    Not being a musician or dancer (apparently they work along the same lines!) I haven't quite got the hang of 3/4 - 6/8 time (or whatever) it has been explained by a very good friend who was a professional dancer (I guess I must be in some way musically challenged - but I know what I like!) I don't actually know why I started to post this....apart from to say "Saturday Night" is one of my favourites on the album!
    I really like Saturday Night too.

Somehow when I hear Out of Control I want to get up and jive. Anyone else get that feeling ?? or do I need help.
    Melanie

Default The Winner: Tequila Sunrise!

And the winner of Desperado Survivor is....

TEQUILA SUNRISE!

Votes
    Tequila Sunrise - 15
    Desperado - 7

Vote Breakdown
    Tequila Sunrise - timfan
    Tequila Sunrise - Freypower
    Tequila Sunrise - EagleLady
    Tequila Sunrise - WalshFan88
    Tequila Sunrise - Glennhoney
    Tequila Sunrise - Brooke
    Tequila Sunrise - sodascouts
    Tequila Sunrise - luvthelighthouse
    Tequila Sunrise - Koala
    Tequila Sunrise - Wildthyme
    Tequila Sunrise - TimothyBFan
    Tequila Sunrise - pueblo47
    Tequila Sunrise - AzEaglesFan
    Tequila Sunrise - Glennsallnighter
    Tequila Sunrise - Ive always been a dreamer
    Desperado - UK TimFan
    Desperado - whitcap
    Desperado - EaglesFanatic
    Desperado - Prettymaid
    Desperado - tequila girl
    Desperado - Annabel
    Desperado - EaglesKiwi

Songs eliminated:
    Twenty-One 4/19
    Saturday Night 4/21
    Certain Kind of Fool 4/23
    Outlaw Man 4/25
    Doolin-Dalton 4/27
    Out of Control 4/29
    Doolin-Dalton / Desperado Reprise 5/01
    Bitter Creek 5/03
    Desperado 5/05

CONGRATS TEQUILA SUNRISE!!
    Thanks for playing!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Wow, I'm really surprised!! Congrats to Tequila Sunrise.

Yeah, I'd predicted Desperado would win like it did last time we played back in 2007. Guess you never know what's gonna happen!

To celebrate, here's a couple videos to enjoy!

Tequila Sunrise (Holland 1973)
    Download as .mpg (40 megs)
    Download as .wmv (10 megs)

Tequila Sunrise (ABC In Concert 1973)
    Download .mpg (32 megs)
    Download .wmv (8 megs)
    (Gotta love Glenn's shirt in this one)

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Stunning result. I'm very proud.

Very happy with the result. I've never liked "Desperado" for whatever reason. Since my beloved "Out Of Control" couldn't win, "Tequila Sunrise" was my 2nd pick, also happens to be my favorite 2 tunes and probably the only ones I like from the album.

Congrats Tequila Sunrise!
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    I've never liked "Desperado" for whatever reason.
    (JK)
    So if you see me walking all alone, don't look back. I'm just on my way back home.