Page 3 of 40 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagles Song Survivor: Desperado

Default Re: Eagles Song Survivor: Desperado

Loved reading your thoughts, Mike. Even if you can't bring yourself to vote, feel free to post more of that!

I've been listening to Desperado again and again over the past few days and each time I do, I seem to like it more. What a magnificent album.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border luvthelighthouse's Avatar

Mike, I love the book anology!

I'm also surprised that Out of Control has gotton votes, because most people on this board love the rock'n songs.

Just when I think I'm ready to cast my vote, I listen to the album again and change my mind!

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by luvthelighthouse View Post
    I'm also surprised that Out of Control has gotton votes, because most people on this board love the rock'n songs.
    Me too... Out Of Control is by far my favorite from the whole album and in my opinion the best song from the album.

With all respect to LTL and her explanation of why SN should stay,

I cast my vote for Saturday Night.

Sorry, but for me it's a snoozer.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

As far as I know, SN is the only song that has songwriting credit by all of the Eagles.
    "Saturday Night"....That one has always left me a bit stumped. I see (or hear) a few things going for it.

#1 What LTL said...They all are credited with coming up with it.
    #2 It has some great mandolin in it
    #3 I could stretch it to three points in its favor by the adding of that little key change towards the end.
    #4 The vocals are good

On the flip side, it WILL lull you to sleep. Slow straight 3/4 Waltz time (just the traditional "boom-chucka-chucka, boom-chucka-chucka" of a waltz.) I can see this one being featured as background for the pros to dance to on Dancing With The Stars (but I'd miss the performance because I HATE that show!) Something the outlaws can no longer indulge in...long term relationships.

I guess this one serves its purpose on the album....but just barely and it is the only song on the whole album I could bring myself to cast a negative vote toward.

But as I said earlier, I won't be voting but am extremely interested in what you all have to say about this controversial work of the Eagles.

MikeA

I vividly recall buying Deperado for the first time. Strangly enough, next week Tuesday will be exactly two years ago. I only know the date, because I remember coming home and writing a post about it. I just looked up what I wrote and here is a section of it:
    I made my way to the register and handed the guy (I'm guessing owner) the Desperado CD. He took it and said, "This is a GREAT pick. I love this album. You know Randy Meisner, their original bass player sings on here and he's amazing". I smiled and said, "Yes, I know, I'm familiar with Randy. I'm a big Eagles fan." Some reason, I didn't want this stranger to think I was a fly by night person, who only knew Hotel California. He went on to rave about Twenty-One and Bitter Creek. He praised Bernie for his awesome guitar playing and overall for being a wonderful musician. He also shared his least favorites on the CD as Doolin-Dalton (which I personally love). He told me he had seen them on tour for On the Border and Dan Folgelberg opened for them. You could see him searching his memory and smiling as he did. He said it was an amazing night. (I bet)
    Every time I hear Bitter Creek, I think of this store owner. To be honest, I didn't care for it at first, but it's grown on me. To be more honest, if it needed my help, I would have voted it off, but it doesn't need my help to go. I'm torn between which one I'm casting my vote for. I know many of you here know I'm not a fan of one song on this album... and it may be may first vote. I'm listing again before I cast my vote. (Actually, I'm on my 3rd listen this morning!)

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Well, as I've said many times before, it is hard for me to be too critical of any song on this album because I really like 'em all. My least favorites in order are probably 1) Twenty-One; 2) Saturday Night, and 3) Bitter Creek. I used to actually like Twenty-One more than Bitter Creek, but of all the songs, Bitter Creek has probably grown on me the most.

I think Saturday Night is very pretty, but it's something about the chorus that keeps it from being a favorite. However, I also think it's neat that it was penned by all of the band members. (Hmmm - that might have made a good immunity question. )

In any event, I think this round is still up in the air because there could still be a lot of outstanding votes based on participation in previous games. I was going to wait to vote, but I think I'll go ahead and lobby to eliminate my least favorite ...

I cast my vote for Twenty-One.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    I think Saturday Night is very pretty, but it's something about the chorus that keeps it from being a favorite. However, I also think it's neat that it was penned by all of the band members. (Hmmm - that might have made a good immunity question. )
    You know, as I wrote that, I was thinking, "i wonder if i'm blowing an immunity question". Sorry!!! Really though, being penned by all of them does make it special to me.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Oh don't worry 'bout that LTL. Soda and I always come up with extra questions just in case things like this come up in the course of discussing the songs. It's all good, and I, for one, welcome the discussions.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

I'm jumping in with about 2 spare minutes to vote! I wist to vote off 'Bitter Creek' this round!
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP