Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hi from MN

Default Hi from MN

Hi everyone! I have been lurking for a few months. I have enjoyed reading your discussions and looking at the wonderful pics everyone posts. I tend to focus on Don. I like that you all celebrate all of them no matter which is your favorite.

I have been an Eagles fan since I came home from school one day and heard Best of My Love in 1974 when I was 17. The angst in Don's voice was so touching and beautiful, and I never dreamed his voice would get even better. I didn't have a license yet, and I begged my mother to take me to the store. I bought all 3 albums. My posters were all good because I never hung them. When the new technology came in, I got rid of all my albums. The brain scan comes back next Tuesday. I scanned the album jackets, and I was so proud of myself(!?) for finding this group of talented guys that were writing their own songs. I played their albums endlessly and I listened for and knew who every voice was before ever seeing them live. When I moved out of my mom's place into my own apartment I played the entire Desperado album every day along with some other songs (by other artists, too-big FM fan!) every day after I came home from work. I have liked all incarnations of the Eagles.

My first ever concert in my life was an Eagles concert in 1976. They were late. Their equipment truck had been in an accident. I don't really remember the individual songs anymore, but I remember some things about the concert. Sadly, one of those things is that it was not the best performance of Best of My Love Don ever did in his life (but he sure has been doing some lately). I was sitting next to a guy with a wine flask and bad breath. A kid that looked like he was about 13 was selling joints to kids and young adults. Our side of the audience (that would be the Randy side) was clapping so loud for them, they turned and played one song to our side of the audience (and I don't remember what it was ). Except for my first concert and my HFO tour concert I've always had fairly good seats. My sister and I had awesome seats in Duluth and Timothy was lots of fun that night. A story for some other time. I've been to other concerts, too. Ok. Enough of that for now.

I like other singers, too. Don Henley is my favorite singer, and I guess I'd have to say Daryl Hall is my second favorite. I like lots of others. I hate country music, but like certain country singers. I generally don't like women singers. The ones I do have low voices like Cher & Stevie Nicks.

Personal stuff, then I'm posting this. Married almost 29 years to the same man. Came home from work one day and found him lying there. I lost him 2 years ago last month. We never had children. Got laid off after 34 years at Target Dec. 2009. I'm currently going to college full time. I should be done this December.

Sorry it's so long, and now the relatives are at the door, so that's all for now.

Stuck on the Border tequila girl's Avatar

Default Re: Hi from MN

Hi Judy & Welcome to The Border - Looks like you might have a lot of stories to tell us!
    ~Carole~

There is no more new frontier - we have got to make it here

Hi Judy - welcome to The Border. Thanks for sharing so much about your fandom and yourself. (I'm very sorry to hear of your husband's passing). You sound like a really interesting person. I hope you like it here!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Welcome from me too, Judy. Glad you found us and hope you enjoy yourself. If you like talking about the Eagles, you've definitely come to a good place. Sounds like you are doing a good job of getting your life back on track after some pretty horrible times. Best of luck to you and hope you come back here often.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Welcome!
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border AzEaglesFan's Avatar

Welcome to the Border. Glad you decided to join us.

Welcome on The Border from me too, Judy.
    "For the record, we never broke up, we just took a 14-year vacation!"
    (Glenn Frey)

Welcome to the Border, Judy. We look forward to hearing more from you.
    ---------------------------------
    Suzanne

Judy:

First my condolences on your loss. It may have been a couple of years ago, but I'm sure it is still fresh on your mind. I think you've come to a good place...personally as well as in coming to the Border. Some good folks here.

I'd like to hear all you can remember about that 1976 concert. I also made my first Eagles concert in 1976...but it was at the end of the year and one of the first "Hotel California" concerts...in Wichita, KS, Joe's home town and his first tour with the Eagles.

Like your experience, the one in Wichita was similar except no one I know of was selling dope...the air was so thick with it that no one needed to buy it. They were passing a bong around on the two isles I was in and it seemed to be never empty.

The house just came freakin' DOWN when home town hero, Joe Walsh took the stage! I wish I could remember more about the concert.

At any rate Judy, Welcome to the Border....we're all pretty Borderline Nuts.

MikeA

Thanks for all the welcomes everyone, and for your thoughts about my husband, who was also an Eagles fan. For the record, I want you to know I am also on the Fastlane board. I've been around for there for quite awhile.

Mike, I really don't remember much more about the concert. I think I was like a deer in headlights because it was my first. It was winter for me as well-Dec. 9 rings a bell for some reason. I remember when they played HC I was like--yeah, that's an ok song. An OK song!?!??!!?! I just love it when they do it now, and I can't help but air drum along with it during the instrumental part. (I play no musical instruments.)

Mike, did this happen at your concert? I swear I remember this....yet it doesn't seem like something they'd do. It seems as vivid to me as anything else I remember about that concert. I swear they had HC albums at the concert and they told us that if we bought the album there they would sign it, and I didn't have any extra money. I was a little bummed, but not smart enough then to know what I was missing, and we just left. I would give one of my body parts for that experience now. I didn't get to see much of Joe. I was on the opposite side of the stage and in the middle part of the first tier. I was mostly into them for how they sang their songs. It's been since the resumption that I've really come to enjoy the guitar playing.

I got to see Joe play up real close in Greensville, SC in Jan. 2009. We were in the 2nd row and when they did the acoustic set, Don was in front of the woman next to me, Glenn was in front of me, and Joe was in front of my sister. It was a very small stage, so even when they were standing they were close. The guitar playing was very impressive and LROE was so awesome that night. It amazes me that they can do it live at all. I never thought I would see it in concert when I first heard it.