Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Celebration of "Ordinary Average Guy"

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: Celebration of "Ordinary Average Guy"

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    So true. He underrates his songwriting a lot. It's like when he's saying he was in awe of Don and Glenn because he could never write like they do... yet he's written some brilliant material, too.
    I agree, Soda.

And HAPPY BELATED ANNIVERSARY TO ORDINARY AVERAGE GUY!!!

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Happy Belated Anniversary "Ordinary Average Guy".
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Happy Belated Anniversary to OAG!

Happy 24th Birthday to Ordinary Average Guy!!

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

That guy is anything but ordinary!

Happy 24th anyway!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Happy birthday, OAG!!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

HAPPY BELATED ORDINARY AVERAGE GUY.

So Put Me On A Highway And Show Me A Sign
    And Take It To The Limit One More Time..............

Banned

I enjoyed reading through the posts in this thread.

I bought Ordinary Average Guy in the 15th May 1991 and I paid £18.39 for it. Very difficult to find and you had to pay double the price of a regular CD to own it. I'm so glad the record companies have since got a good kicking.

There's nothing on the CD that I really love or really detest. The Barnstorm Revisited suggestion was a little wishful thinking imho. The late Rick Rosas and drummer, Chad Cromwell (the mighty rhythm section for Neil Young's Rocking In The Free World) aren't like for like subs for Kenny Passarelli and Rocke Grace.

Two Sides Of The Story has a great R&B harmonica riff, and some splendid power chord-age played by Joe. He played great harmonica on the Barnstorm album too but more contemplative on the lovely acoustic (Coming Down).

Ordinary Average Guy is like the verses to Life's Been Good but doesn't have the rocking guitar.

I originally disliked the cover of The Kingsmen's, The Gamma Goochee but it's one of my favourites now. Sure it's crazy wacky Joe but the guitar's really good too.

Not a fan of All Of A Sudden. Co-writer Jimi Jamieson of Survivor (not creditted on my CD), says the song is a close relation of Survivor's big hit Burning Heart. American hair rock ballad, complete with sax solo.

Alphabetical Order is Joe just messing with words over a keyboard and guitar riff. I've heard the guitar riff on some recent Eagles performances of Funk #49. I'm uneasy with the "HIV, RU12" line. HIV was originally a desease that only occurred in the gay community so there is a hint of homophobia there.

Look At Us Now is arguably the standout track. Conceptually it seems to be a perfect fit for Joe's 1992 album, Songs For A Dying Planet. Joe opened some 21st Century shows with Look At Us Now with a slightly different arrangement that was pretty good.

I'm Acting Different is a decent acoustic song with prominent backing vocals but not much guitar to liven it up.

When Stevie Winwood released the wonderful Split Decision, I remember him saying that he wrote two songs with Joe, the other was called, Up All Night.
    Winwood isn't creditted but I guess it's the same song. I like the song but I'm not at all keen on the intro.
    Up All Night and Ordinary Average Guy both appeared, along with It's Alright from Songs For A Dying Planet, on Homegrown, the album Joe made with New Zealand Reggae band, The Herbs in 1989.

You Might Need Somebody is a cover of a big Randy Crawford hit. Writer Tom Snow says Joe's version is closer to his original concept of the song.

All The Eagles have a knack of doing soul music with guitar based instrumentation.

The album closes with a nostalgic themed two song medley, Where I Grew Up and School Days, the first a great little Walsh reminiscence, that also forms part of Vitale's rocking memoir that follows. The track and album closes strongly with some fabulous power chords.

In retrospect I think Ordinary Average Guy could be a collection of songs that didn't fit the concept of the album that closely followed it, Songs For A Dying Planet, which I listen to a hell of a lot more and have a lot more affection for.

Happy 25th Birthday to Ordinary Average Guy. I still haven't bought this album and I only heard Ordinary Average Guy from this album.

Quote Originally Posted by shunlvswx View Post
    Happy 25th Birthday to Ordinary Average Guy. I still haven't bought this album and I only heard Ordinary Average Guy from this album.
    That's a damn shame. It is a wonderful album! I like it more than most of what Joe put out in the 80's.

Wintertime is a razor blade that the devil made
    It's the price we pay for the summertime - J.W. '69